AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

They allow them to be free on the switch, for example, and tell their forwards to pay closer attention to the damaging kicks so the footy is more likely to be in the hands of defenders less capable of piercing their press or zone.

I remember hearing that Ross Lyon left Max Hudghton out of the 2009 finals series for this reason. From memory Roos had Sydney exploit this late in the season which caused him concern (I may be misremembering this part).
I do not think they plan to allow anyone in particular to be free. Kelly ends up being free as well. Same with Laverde. Same With McGrath. The game is different to 2009. The defence basically sets up 30 to 40 meters from goal and allows sideways kicks inside that zone if someone wants to take them.
McKay gets 50 odd percent from intercept possessions most weeks. Then there are the times he gets a quick handball from the contest.When you look at the heat maps McKay gets 80% his possessions in the area 0 to 30 meters from goal and that is the area of the ground sides give up to whoever is there.
If there was anyone that the opposition could be letting run free it would be Kelly as he is the one that just keeps working into space up the ground.

I do not think they plan to allow anyone in particular to be free. Kelly ends up being free as well. Same with Laverde. Same With McGrath. The game is different to 2009. The defence basically sets up 30 to 40 meters from goal and allows sideways kicks inside that zone if someone wants to take them.
McKay gets 50 odd percent from intercept possessions most weeks. Then there are the times he gets a quick handball from the contest.When you look at the heat maps McKay gets 80% his possessions in the area 0 to 30 meters from goal and that is the area of the ground sides give up to whoever is there.
If there was anyone that the opposition could be letting run free it would be Kelly as he is the one that just keeps working into space up the ground.

We're certainly awash with players in defence that the opposition would be comfortable to have the footy. I'd like to see Merrett go back ala Zorko but that's for another thread.

You don't think in a situation where one forward is trying to cover two of our defenders that they are not instructed to go to say Martin or Redman rather than McKay or Kelly? Of course they are. Any weakness is ruthlessly exploited in this league. It might only happen a couple times a game but that can be enough.

See this all the time in soccer; the least comfortable defender on the ball receiving the ball is often the trigger for the opposition press.

We're certainly awash with players in defence that the opposition would be comfortable to have the footy. I'd like to see Merrett go back ala Zorko but that's for another thread.

You don't think in a situation where one forward is trying to cover two of our defenders that they are not instructed to go to say Martin or Redman rather than McKay or Kelly? Of course they are. Any weakness is ruthlessly exploited in this league. It might only happen a couple times a game but that can be enough.

See this all the time in soccer; the least comfortable defender on the ball receiving the ball is often the trigger for the opposition press.
If we had 4 good users and two bad I would but lets face it we have four average ball usesers back there. Sometimes 5.
Defenders are instructed to cover there spot in the zone now days. They cover players in their area. You can watch any game in any week and you will see that they give up the back 30 to sideways kicks and try and press up.
Most of McKays blunders where in situations where he had a bit of pressure on him, bar a few brain fart handballs close to goal.
The speed of the game in the last two years does not really allow too much setting up as far as who you want to get the ball other than if there is a run with role on someone.
Would love Merrett at half back and Ridley back in the side and maybe Redman on another half back flank. McKay could have his 10 possessions and not be under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back