AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does he only kick 15m passes or handball ?, I don't think I've seen him kick it more than 20 metres in any one game.

That makes him look like he panics every time he wins the ball, simular to McGrath.

after 3 quarters of being jane he turned into tarzan in the 4th, should;ve been paid another mark or two.....

Disagree. Has shown a number of times this year he is shaky under a high ball, dropping uncontested intercept marking opportunities.

Also, you don't pay big bucks for someone who is a one way player. Our defence needs stand up when forward pressure is NOT good.

I checked the Wheelo stats today. Kelly, McKay and Redman are all top 20 for defensive 1 on 1 LOSSES.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. Has shown a number of times this year he is shaky under a high ball, dropping uncontested intercept marking opportunities.

Also, you don't pay big bucks for someone who is a one way player. Our defence needs stand up when forward pressure is NOT good.

I checked the Wheelo stats today. Kelly, McKay and Redman are all top 20 for defensive 1 on 1 LOSSES.

Defence is a function of up-field, given the appalling pressure and easy transition goals our forwards and midfield have allowed, it's no surprise their loss rates are high.

After being smashed most weeks in the first 12 or so weeks he is playing at about 80% and if we had anyone other than Weideman or Hayes as the replacement KPD he would have been managed three weeks ago. That is the info my tack watcher is telling me. First time he has played from the start to this far in the season since 2021 .
Forget the million dollars. He is on less next year and then less the following year and so on. In three years he will not be in the top 10 paid players. The million dollars this year is basically a sign on bonus.

After being smashed most weeks in the first 12 or so weeks he is playing at about 80% and if we had anyone other than Weideman or Hayes as the replacement KPD he would have been managed three weeks ago. That is the info my tack watcher is telling me. First time he has played from the start to this far in the season since 2021 .
Forget the million dollars. He is on less next year and then less the following year and so on. In three years he will not be in the top 10 paid players. The million dollars this year is basically a sign on bonus.
Why not pick Weideman or Hayes?

Weideman missed 4 weeks suspended . Hayes has struggled with the bigger KP players in the VFL at times . Not sure you can pick him to be the number one KPD or leave Laverde as the number 1 if Hayes takes the second. McKay has not been flash over 4 quarters in recent weeks but he has been better than Laverde and I am not sure I am throwing Hayes under the bus to be the number 1 guy just yet.

To replace McKay?? We’d be well and truly f*****!

Defence is a function of up-field, given the appalling pressure and easy transition goals our forwards and midfield have allowed, it's no surprise their loss rates are high.
Exactly. Look at some of the Swans defenders now ..look far worse now players up the ground not playing/defending as well

Gave King a bath.

Needs to work on the 1-2 insane turnovers he produces every week though.
He has never been great with the footy in his hands . May be different if we had a few different options for him to use.
What he does have to do is take some more steps back from the mark .

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back