AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

He has never been great with the footy in his hands . May be different if we had a few different options for him to use.
What he does have to do is take some more steps back from the mark .
Agree. Not sure I’ve seen a player have so many kicks smothered.

Why not try him at full forward? Langford has been out of form so why not? He has the physical attributes and reads the play well. He has lost a lot of one-on-one contests as a defender, but that’s not as important as a forward, because you’re not giving up a goal if you’re outpointed. He’s a pretty good kick and a good mark.

Flip a few players around and you might find a few unexpected benefits.

We'll lose a lot of 1 v 1s in the back half because it is the way we play. Playing a territory game and pressing numbers up means when we fail to hit our non-existent targets i50 and the lack of speedy players to pressure the rebound there is always going to be loads of space for the opposition to utilise in their forward half.

I'd like to think that he's faded in the last month or so because his lungs are tired.

You know, from singing the song so much this season.

Imagine having nothing better to do with your time, than spend it on big footy, going to opposition boards after they lose, finding your ex players threads, and then trying to troll because thats the best idea your brain can produce. Norf really are a special breed

If you look at Hawthorn's backline, Frost has cut down on the constant mistakes he built a reputation for because he seems to now understand he doesn't need to create any more. He's surrounded by good kicks and users of the footy in Sicily, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Impey, Amon, and Weddle etc.

McKay is capable of being a massive panic merchant with the ball so we need to simplify things as much as possible. Surround him with mostly good users and he'll be fine.

We'll lose a lot of 1 v 1s in the back half because it is the way we play. Playing a territory game and pressing numbers up means when we fail to hit our non-existent targets i50 and the lack of speedy players to pressure the rebound there is always going to be loads of space for the opposition to utilise in their forward half.
100% this. We expose the back half badly and have done for a while because of this.

If you look at Hawthorn's backline, Frost has cut down on the constant mistakes he built a reputation for because he seems to now understand he doesn't need to create any more. He's surrounded by good kicks and users of the footy in Sicily, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Impey, Amon, and Weddle etc.

McKay is capable of being a massive panic merchant with the ball so we need to simplify things as much as possible. Surround him with mostly good users and he'll be fine.
Would help for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back