Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have even a slither of hope for this dude? Early days I liked the look of him.
Has to be the worst 1v1 player in the comp. Outpointed and outmuscled every time.
Doesn't jump and marks like his arms are chopsticks.

We've got basically no ruck depth.
None.
Horrible liability one on one, which is inexcusable at his height and weight.

Anyone have even a slither of hope for this dude? Early days I liked the look of him.
Has to be the worst 1v1 player in the comp. Outpointed and outmuscled every time.

No, he's the most uncompetitive crap on the list.

Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane's little trans brother.

After the initial tap contest he is useless. Offers absolutely nothing once the ball comes down.

yes ... but.

He has shown the ability to take a mark, good skills, good tap ruck. But apparently not all in the same game.

His main weakness has been a total inability to compete physically. Last season he started to match others - not beat them physically, but not get pushed around too much.

So if he can get all of his good traits working together at once, and increases his physical capability (sort of a ground level requirement for a ruck) he can be very useful.

I acknowledge that is sort of saying if I could take all of my good driving and put it together at once, and do that consistently, I could be a race driver. Maybe in a demolition derby I'd be half OK.

So most positive view is the glass is quarter full.

Someone find his highlights against adelaide in adelaide last year...

this is something there, just we haven't seen it for a long time, which is frustrating
all marks on the lead. At some point since then he thought he was the strongest player in the league and starts going 1v1 trying to outmuscle them just to get ragdolled like a little boy. I want to call him an absolute dud because his work ethic is bad but clearly the club sees something to extend him

it's his marking ability that is the most frustrating.
the amount of times the ball simply bounces off his two hands is his sticking point.
needs to work bloody hard in the off season to pay back that contract we blessed him with.

I do. It's going to be a tough ask for him to get stronger but he actually gets to the right spots to be involved in the play.

Also needs to mark it.. not sure how to fix that other than repetition based training and exercises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute delist
No, he's the most uncompetitive crap on the list.

Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane's little trans brother.

After the initial tap contest he is useless. Offers absolutely nothing once the ball comes down.
This is the most accurate post about him,
If he loses the marking contest up forward
That's him done not intrested in a second effort
How he made it to this level is staggering .

When you are out positioned for a mark by an Oompa Loompa, that is all the commentary you need.

He could pose as a Human Statue at Richmond Corporate Functions and Events.

That would explain the 3-year extension, it not to play football, it is for corporate promotions.

Remember how angry we were when Essendon took Josh Eyre at 39.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Yes. Has had some dominant games or at least patches of games in the reserves. At AFL level he looked completely gassed early on. I still think he'll be a quality ruckman once his body is ready.

We will need to sign a ruckman in the rookie draft or the train-on period.
Cannot be going into next season as Nank and Ryan as our only options.
Doubt it if the Snackpack and Colina are going around again.

Absolute delist

This is the most accurate post about him,
If he loses the marking contest up forward
That's him done not intrested in a second effort
How he made it to this level is staggering .

Same in the ruck.

Once the rap is done (which he often loses, being pushed off so easily) he just spectates. Offers nothing at ground level. Worse than Soldo, and I'm not joking.

That is BS. You mustn't have watched him in the ruck @ VFL level.

No, not at VFL level, but I've observed this at AFL level and stand by my assessment.

I did see him lay a tackle after a ruck contest this year but largely I think he offers nothing after that ruck contest and is too easily pushed off.

At his age I haven't seen the level of development that gives me any confidence he will be a serviceable player.

Happy to re-visit this discussion in 12-24 months, but I'm not expecting to suddenly break out.

No, not at VFL level, but I've observed this at AFL level and stand by my assessment.

I did see him lay a tackle after a ruck contest this year but largely I think he offers nothing after that ruck contest and is too easily pushed off.

At his age I haven't seen the level of development that gives me any confidence he will be a serviceable player.

Happy to re-visit this discussion in 12-24 months, but I'm not expecting to suddenly break out.
Yeah fair enough. He does it in the VFL. Hopefully he can show it at afl.

The issue we have now is he is a ruckman and we have OHB and sounds like Colina (if hes ever fit) to squeeze in too.
Free hit at it this year. Doesn’t cut it then delist.
Hes got 3 years. Clearly the club think he has something to offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back