Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

His lack of marking ability is a huge Momentum killer

Saw it several times last season & again on the weekend

Bloke was born with butterfingers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I actually think too much has been made of his body work etc (which don't get me wrong, it's really important), but I reckon he's thinking way too much about the body work, he's actually not concentrating on the most important part, and that's just marking the ball.

His lack of marking ability is a huge Momentum killer

Saw it several times last season & again on the weekend

Bloke was born with butterfingers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was more annoyed at his handpassing TBH.

So many times, he would grab the ball and do a crap hospital handball that floated in the air to his intended target.

Club needs to invest in those old handballing targets and get him to practice hitting them through the hole.

I think the issue with Samson on Sunday was he was getting outmuscled in almost every contest (and we all expected to see him looking much stronger by now) and then rather than competing as well as he could, he was getting frustrated and giving away free kicks, which just made him all the more frustrated and led to the poor body language.

He turns 24 at the end of the year so there's still plenty of time for him to figure it out, but there are certainly some worrying signs. If he hasn't made big strides in the strength department by this time next year, he might just not be up to it.

I was happy for Soldo to leave. It's sad that injured journeyman Naismith has already leapfrogged Ryan. Don't think i've ever seen 105kg's moved so easily, feels like a stiff breeze could knock him over. If either of Ryan or Colina doesn't take some serious strides this year I hope the club spring cleans our ruck stocks and poaches another teams ruck because yet again we're coming up short in developing our own rucks. If Nank can stay fit and play 2/3 of season maybe we can get away with Kozitsche and Balta pinch hitting. Need to sort out a long term solution by EOY cos Nanks body will start breaking down even more than previous seasons.

I was happy for Soldo to leave. It's sad that injured journeyman Naismith has already leapfrogged Ryan. Don't think i've ever seen 105kg's moved so easily, feels like a stiff breeze could knock him over. If either of Ryan or Colina doesn't take some serious strides this year I hope the club spring cleans our ruck stocks and poaches another teams ruck because yet again we're coming up short in developing our own rucks. If Nank can stay fit and play 2/3 of season maybe we can get away with Kozitsche and Balta pinch hitting. Need to sort out a long term solution by EOY cos Nanks body will start breaking down even more than previous seasons.
Reckon Ryan will be gifted another 2 seasons at least. Ryan will come good when he is 34.

I think the issue with Samson on Sunday was he was getting outmuscled in almost every contest (and we all expected to see him looking much stronger by now) and then rather than competing as well as he could, he was getting frustrated and giving away free kicks, which just made him all the more frustrated and led to the poor body language.

He turns 24 at the end of the year so there's still plenty of time for him to figure it out, but there are certainly some worrying signs. If he hasn't made big strides in the strength department by this time next year, he might just not be up to it.
I think it’s unfair to be writing off Ryan based on the Melbourne practice game for two reasons. First he was playing against the best ruckman in the league. Second the umpires let Gawn push Ryan out of the contest early and then go for the ball. They do the same for Tom Hawkins. Unfortunately Ryan needs to learn to develop strategies to deal with these unfair tactics

I think it’s unfair to be writing off Ryan based on the Melbourne practice game for two reasons. First he was playing against the best ruckman in the league. Second the umpires let Gawn push Ryan out of the contest early and then go for the ball. They do the same for Tom Hawkins. Unfortunately Ryan needs to learn to develop strategies to deal with these unfair tactics
Agree with this. He needs to play a bit more VFL footy with his improved strength (if not much) and find some marking ability, which he has but it's preseason so hard to find your marking form in Feb. Marking is very much a confidence thing, to launch at the ball. Clunk a few and they start to stick and his whole game will improve. Reassess in a few months time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had high hopes for him , but he’s just a VFL part time ruck and more a forward. He’s got no physical presence and his body language is poor. Took a contested mark tonight bc Naismith put his body on the line for him. No thanks.

Has just turned 23. In ruck terms that isn't a baby but it isn't a full grown adult either. He is a juvenile ruck. He is improving but isn't going to be able to take down highly organised midfields and defences at this stage of proceedings. See how he looks with some easier assignments.

Last edited:
Has just turned 23. In ruck terms that isn't a baby but it isn't a full grown adult either. He is a juvenile ruck. He is improving but isn't going to be able to take down highly organised midfields and defences at this stage of proceedings. See how he looks with some easier assignments.
Plenty of good 23yo ruck forwards going around . He is fully grown lol. 😂

Plenty of good 23yo ruck forwards going around . He is fully grown lol. 😂
Fully grown height wise but body is still filling out.

Sadly his 1 goal was a 5th of our score. In 50% TOG.

I'm not sure about the Suns game. Drop Ryan for a small? Kosi/Balta back up ruck?

Drop Kosi?

Given the selections so far, I can't see Kosi getting dropped.

just noticed the betting market for Round 0. Suns redhot faves..

Fully grown height wise but body is still filling out.

Sadly his 1 goal was a 5th of our score. In 50% TOG.

I'm not sure about the Suns game. Drop Ryan for a small? Kosi/Balta back up ruck?

Drop Kosi?

Given the selections so far, I can't see Kosi getting dropped.

just noticed the betting market for Round 0. Suns redhot faves..
He can fill out in the VFL. if you look at the contested mark he took Naismith did all the hard work blocking out Cox. His improvement as plateaued and i'm starting to get worried about him getting to the standard required.
Kosi is not good enough and is VFL standard. My concern with him is that his endurance drops off after half time and then his opponent dominates him.

I had high hopes for him , but he’s just a VFL part time ruck and more a forward. He’s got no physical presence and his body language is poor. Took a contested mark tonight bc Naismith put his body on the line for him. No thanks.
I've seen no preseason...one win, one loss. Ryan not so good vs Gawn, fair enough

wow on the criticism of Ryan's work in that instance. 2 on 3 Naismith wrestled at the back and Ryan took a great mark. And goaled.

Ryan read the flight well.

Last edited:
horse falling GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back