Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

None of you were any different when we were first on the ladder. So the point stands.

We come into the season with about the 9th best list. If absolutely everything went right, we might get into the top 4. If absolutely everything went wrong, we might get into the bottom 4.

Absolutely everything went wrong. Another year absolutely everything would go right, we would get into the top 4, losing finals because we are only the 9th best list, and you would be telling us everything the club should have done differently. That much is a given, we know it going into each season.
Rubbish

Bandwagoner....:thumbsdown:

Not at all. I’ve probably been to more games live this year than I ever have. I don’t even live in Victoria. I just don’t get as emotional or caught up in results as I used to. 3 flags was more than anyone could ever dream of. I’m quite content for now

Last edited:

Just done some research on Big Max, pick 34 in 2009 draft and did not get a crack at the number one ruck spot or even as a 2nd stringer in Melbourne side/s because of Mark Jamar until 2015.
while the lanky big rhino has been a bit slow with his progress I'm rapt we got him up for another 3 years.

Wtf do the 2 completely unrelated things have to do with each other? On you logic we better get Biggie Nuon back because he has the same skin colour as Michael Jordan, hell let's draft Guy Sebastian while we're at it. Like Gary Ablett snr he believes in Christ.... oh man with The next Gawn, Gary Sblett snr and Michael Jordan we might as well give away our entire draft hand this year as we won't need it.
Both picked up well into the 30s in drafts, Both similar tall skinny gawky size, both from NON-footballing states or families and had other preferred sporting interests (RUGBY, BASKETBALL, SOCCER & CRICKET) before deciding on Aussie Rules, both done apprenticeships under much older established ruckmen, and if you go back to the Melbourne board when Max was 21 and 22 there were similar doubts whether he would make it to AFL standard.

is that enough for you smart Alec?

Three years is generous and a show of faith. I do think it'd be a low value contract given he has only played 19 games into what is now his fourth season.

I would have preferred two years. I guess if it's not working out the club can always cut him and probably not be paying out a huge sum.

I don't have an issue with him getting 3 year deal as long as they play him at AFL level when fit.

Won't be learning much more from VFL anymore he has had enough experience there.
He needs to learn the body strength against the bigger bodies & you can only do that when you play them.

Both picked up well into the 30s in drafts, Both similar tall skinny gawky size, both from NON-footballing states or families and had other preferred sporting interests (RUGBY, BASKETBALL, SOCCER & CRICKET) before deciding on Aussie Rules, both done apprenticeships under much older established ruckmen, and if you go back to the Melbourne board when Max was 21 and 22 there were similar doubts whether he would make it to AFL standard.

Agree. Also - DONT WASTE DRAFT PICKS ON RUCKS!! You have no idea how they are going to turn out when they grow up in a few years.

Collingwood won the flag last year with a guy who was drafted in the 40s (Cameron - didn't even play his first game until he was 23) and Cox. They played Brisbane who used McInerney (rookie draft pick). Hell, we won 3 flags with a guy who was the 3rd in line at the Swans.

OK - you need a decent ruck. But you can always find one in a trade, a rookie spot, or lumbering around in the VFL. Sure, take a flyer on the kids who look really impressive (ie picks 30-50), but otherwise just shop around. The Hawks won 3 flags in a row - their rucks were Hale and McEvoy - both trades. The Cats' main ruckman over the last 10 years has been Stanley - trade. The Swands have made Finals tha lst 2 years (inc the GF a couple of years ago) their main ruck is Hickey - who's at his 4th club.

PS: - I think I wrote this same spiel when we drafted Vickery at Pick 8.

Sadly, the gloss of 'everything we do turns to gold', which it did becuase we made smart, well-thought out decisions, has worn off and people have trouble coping, as much as they say they are content.
Fact is we are making poorly researched and executed decisions.
havew nothing agianst him and was keen on him early days, but Samson lacks urgency and tenacity.
One way you fix it is make him play for his life - that is - a short-term contract.
No, but we give him three years so he can plod along for two before the reality of being 26 and he is fighting for his AFL survival hits him.
I hope he makes it, but he's almost further from it than he was two years ago.
0.63 contested marks across his career and only one contested mark this year at 260cm tall says plenty.
I'd be much happier with a one or two year deal max.

Sadly, the gloss of 'everything we do turns to gold', which it did becuase we made smart, well-thought out decisions, has worn off and people have trouble coping, as much as they say they are content.
havew nothing agianst him and was keen on him early days, but Samson lacks urgency and tenacity.
One way you fix it is make him play for his life - that is - a short-term contract.
No, but we give him three years so he can plod along for two before the reality of being 26 and he is fighting for his AFL survival hits him.
0.63 contested marks across his career and only one contested mark this year at 260cm tall says plenty.
Tarrant for 2; Hopper & Tarranto for 7 years; Sampson Ryan getting 3 years off ; Jack Graham contract trigger; Kosi on 3 years. Chol for 5 years. Clayton Oliver, Shai Bolton.

All slightly too long but its the era of like long contracts

I'm sure Ryan's is at the bottom end of the scale.

260cm 23 year old? no wonder he's taking so long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flark. At 260cm he should be doing a lot better at AFL level and tacking a few marks!!!!

Well you've sold me...... by your logic we might as well go knocking on every bikie gang in the lands clubhouse. Ask to see all their Sgt of arms. Any that are Maori with Neck tatts sign all their sons up to our NGA and with a squad of them we'll never lose again. I think your philosophy is flawlessly impeccable. Get into Samson's ear tell him to fast track his development to landing 7 AA's he needs to shave his head, open wine and coffee shops and eat lentils and mungbeans. Now all we need is a Clayton Oliver type to sleep on his couch and your masterpieces is complete..... wonder if the gingerness of said couch sleeper is more important than deadsh1tness???? Maybe we can get Dan Connors to fill that role??? 🤔

never-lose-again-streak.gif

Oi that's my pic....... he actually posted pics years ago him and his mates sitting around playing playstation while she was in a French maid outfit waiting on them hand and foot bringing beers and food. Spewing I never saved the pics cos when I searched later they were taken down. Ah Hampson he was batting at Don Bradman levels snagging her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back