Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

its intersting, his 1/2 game year ago in the pre-season against the Dees he clunked a few and looked good.
His game last year agianst the Crows over there he attacked the footy amd marked well.
At that stage, his attack on the footy was the least of his concerns, IMO

So it's not that he can't, it's just he isn't at the moment.

its intersting, his 1/2 game year ago in the pre-season against the Dees he clunked a few and looked good.
His game last year agianst the Crows over there he attacked the footy amd marked well.
At that stage, his attack on the footy was the least of his concerns, IMO

So it's not that he can't, it's just he isn't at the moment.

It's always been that way - at Sherwood in Brisbane, he would be beaten at boundary throw ins by anyone who could put body pressure on him - no matter what their size. Was only ever dominant at centre bounces with no body work.

Same in marking contests. If you get early body pressure on him, he can't keep his position. Again, if you watch his marks, they'll occur be with minimal body pressure. Even a stopped watch is right twice a day, and that about sums him up. If he stands in an OK position, and gets minimal pressure, about twice a game he'll mark just because he is there.

Shocked we renewed for three years. One year I'd understand, because of ruck plight. Better to go to the VFL well of ruckman than hold out much hope with Ryan. Happy for him to prove me wrong - a good sort of a bloke - but the ball's in his court and he can't hit it back yet.

It's always been that way - at Sherwood in Brisbane, he would be beaten at boundary throw ins by anyone who could put body pressure on him - no matter what their size. Was only ever dominant at centre bounces with no body work.

Same in marking contests. If you get early body pressure on him, he can't keep his position. Again, if you watch his marks, they'll occur be with minimal body pressure. Even a stopped watch is right twice a day, and that about sums him up. If he stands in an OK position, and gets minimal pressure, about twice a game he'll mark just because he is there.

Shocked we renewed for three years. One year I'd understand, because of ruck plight. Better to go to the VFL well of ruckman than hold out much hope with Ryan. Happy for him to prove me wrong - a good sort of a bloke - but the ball's in his court and he can't hit it back yet.
so potentially it's not actually about strength, but it's about technique and body positioning.

Too many people think that strength in big blokes is all chest and arms, when in fact, legs and core are way more important in using your body

The club needs to get him angry while playing
Angry Star Wars GIF

Little blokes must absolutely despise Samson Ryan. A 3 year contract extension and the only justifiable reason is he's tall!!! Exit meetings are just on the horizon: Coulthard would know he's toast. Blokes like Cumberland, Dow, McIntosh, Green, who've all got some ability and shown varying glimpses of being AFL best 22 are no doubt stressing what the future holds while baby giraffe has the security of another 3 years whilst showing zilch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they should trial him as a defender?
Moves too slowly mate, can’t mark and body contact would be a worry as he would easily be bumped out of position. Needs to improve strength in his body from his shoulders down to his big toe and be more mentally switched on in games. I have given up as he’s shown no improvement since he landed on our list. He had a slight moment of hope early last year until opponents worked him out that he hates body contact and fatigues easily with his everready tank.

Just a bizarre call to give him such a long contract. He hasn’t shown a whole lot and I don’t reckon anyone was going to outbid us for his services.
The 3 year deal takes him to free agency

We will get a 1st round pick from Tassie in 3 years time as jack & Brendon will take him as a free agent ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back