Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Cutler was not okay.

Shirked every oppertuniry he had to make anphysical impact.

Ham at least cracks in although I thin khe still needs more time before heb s a regular.

No doubting Ham's intent and commitment, just lack awareness and the body at this stage.

Cutler was not okay.

Shirked every oppertuniry he had to make anphysical impact.

Ham at least cracks in although I thin khe still needs more time before heb s a regular.
Squibbed one contest against Hawkins if I recall, but kept his width on his side of the field to help ensure an out from defence. Had 13 disposals at 84%.
Ham had 8 at 75%. Cutler was, therefore, okay.
Ham does crack in, which is great, but his turnovers easily levelled that ledger the other night.

A: Finished second in the Geelong Falcons' Best and Fairest behind Sam Walsh.
B: Oh, he should be an alright player, then.
A: But went at number 72 at the draft.

Even though I didn't think much of Ham's game I will say that his current form in the seniors is a bit sympomatic of a guy playing in a team without the depth to drop him. If he was playing for a top 4 team, he'd be working on his game in the 2's - which is OK for a guy in his 3rd year to be in and out of the seniors. Unfortunately we have too many injuries to midfielders and too little quality depth on the wing so consequently he's playing seniors despite poor form and you can be sure he realises that too.

The best thing for him would probably be to go back to the 2's for a month and find some form, get his hands on the ball a bit more, get a bit more time to use it well and build up some confidence.

People always mention his physical size but honestly for me the number 1 problem with his game is his decision making ball in hand. Some players you say "he knows his limits and plays within them" - thinking guys like Laverde or Ambrose. With Ham he sometimes tries to do a lot but rarely pulls it off and sometimes fails to execute the basics.

I am not going the hyperbole route with Ham because he still has some time on his side. Its not career over or last chance saloon or anything like that. But he's not covering himself with glory right now either.

Even though I didn't think much of Ham's game I will say that his current form in the seniors is a bit sympomatic of a guy playing in a team without the depth to drop him. If he was playing for a top 4 team, he'd be working on his game in the 2's - which is OK for a guy in his 3rd year to be in and out of the seniors. Unfortunately we have too many injuries to midfielders and too little quality depth on the wing so consequently he's playing seniors despite poor form and you can be sure he realises that too.

The best thing for him would probably be to go back to the 2's for a month and find some form, get his hands on the ball a bit more, get a bit more time to use it well and build up some confidence.

People always mention his physical size but honestly for me the number 1 problem with his game is his decision making ball in hand. Some players you say "he knows his limits and plays within them" - thinking guys like Laverde or Ambrose. With Ham he sometimes tries to do a lot but rarely pulls it off and sometimes fails to execute the basics.

I am not going the hyperbole route with Ham because he still has some time on his side. Its not career over or last chance saloon or anything like that. But he's not covering himself with glory right now either.
well said

Well said. Also have to consider that he is a terrific runner, and you need those lads to help stretch the field. So he adds value without even touching the ball often.
We haven’t been a great aerobic team over the last ten years, that’s starting to shift thanks to the Hams, Cox’s, Langfords, Jones’ of the world.

Said well.

With Ham he sometimes tries to do a lot but rarely pulls it off and sometimes fails to execute the basics.

Unlike Parish and Shiel who both have some wacky alignment issues which often makes their kicks swing and/or drop unpredictably, Ham has a solid kicking action. Very much agree with you though - it's decision making, concentration and execution.

In terms of his body - this year he looks bigger to the naked eye but still I can't recall another bomber in the last ten years who is so easy to swat away. He needs to hit up the legs, glutes and core. Like... a lot. Guns aren't gonna keep him solid over the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bout shitting time he got the chance to play as a proper, featured midfielder in the VFL and get some footy in his hands.

32, 4 marks, 5 tackles and a goal is a good start. Hopefully he ran around with Hannebery for a while.

In terms of his body - this year he looks bigger to the naked eye but still I can't recall another bomber in the last ten years who is so easy to swat away. He needs to hit up the legs, glutes and core. Like... a lot. Guns aren't gonna keep him solid over the ball.

Probably still stronger than Gleeson (in his first 4 or so years) or Fantasia (had more fight in him though).
But yeah he's a twig. Even our first year players would have him covered for strength.

Think people are very harsh on him and clearly aren’t watching him play as he still isn’t getting significant game time on the wing which is his natural position.

The HFF role he’s playing is difficult and one that senior players like Parish and Zaharakis have struggled with.

I expect his ball use and decision making will improve with time and we’ll have a very handy outside player on our hands.

Agree with this. Ham reminds me a little bit of Travis. He has enough zip to keep running and finds good position to receive as a result, but just lacks the composure when the heat's there. He could be a decent depth player if he can polish up his disposal a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back