Player Watch #33 Caiden Cleary

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite part about this - aside from at one point getting dunked with what looks like a choccy milk?? - is how happy you can clearly see Rowbottom is for Cleary. It's almost like he's constantly checking to make sure Cleary's soaking it all in. No pun intended LOL

Impressive on not only his first start in the 22, but also started on the ground. He was our most dangerous forward in that putrid first half

Loved his competitiveness and kicked a nice goal but also surprised by how quick he could cover the ground. With Wicks suspended and Fox out there’s a spot for a defensive forwar

Made the most of his opportunity tonight. Looked pretty comfortable and brings pace that we lack overall.

Think he will be important for us next year.
Very pleased with him tonight. I think he can be important for us this year - brought good intensity and pressure to the forward line, and looked comfortable enough under pressure down the field as well.

There is plenty to work with - and while he might end up squeezed out as troops come back, wouldn't be unhappy to see him playing out of a forward pocket in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rewatched the last quarter. And I was impressed Cleary was still running and chasing strongly late in the game. You expect 1st year players to fade out.

I also liked his composure during the game. Seemed to be able to keep possession in the forward line with a simple handpass or kick. And when we were under pressure in the first half was clearing the ball to the right areas.

Also in the press conference Longmire mentioned Cleary and Campbell as younger players that performed well early in the game.

The kid is goooooooood.

I'm not usually one to be all "told you so" but a few months ago I posted this...

Not saying he will or should get picked, but I have this gut feeling that if Cleary was to play a senior game right now he'd be right at home and very well end up staying in the team.

Because I just knew if given the chance he'd have a red hot crack at the game. Hard workers tend to almost always have good games because they don't allow themselves to have bad ones. They redeem every mistake they make.

That was Cleary last night, to me. He made some mistakes and his inexperience showed in moments, but I saw a kid out there getting things wrong and keeping at it, rather than going into his shell. There were times he impacted in 1v2 contests and managed to halve them, even win some, with just a hand or bit of body contact.

And as far as that player we've clearly been after, who can buzz around the forward half creating some chaos without the ball while still being effective with it... he looked pretty damn good in that role.

The kid is goooooooood.

I'm not usually one to be all "told you so" but a few months ago I posted this...

Because I just knew if given the chance he'd have a red hot crack at the game. Hard workers tend to almost always have good games because they don't allow themselves to have bad ones. They redeem every mistake they make.

That was Cleary last night, to me. He made some mistakes and his inexperience showed in moments, but I saw a kid out there getting things wrong and keeping at it, rather than going into his shell. There were times he impacted in 1v2 contests and managed to halve them, even win some, with just a hand or bit of body contact.

And as far as that player we've clearly been after, who can buzz around the forward half creating some chaos without the ball while still being effective with it... he looked pretty damn good in that role.
I agree wholeheartedly.

His willingness to chase and hassle was a stand-out for me. He just managed to be in a position to impact on a lot of contests, even when outnumbered.

And he finds the pill.

I reckon in 2 years time he’ll be a top 10 player for us.

I’d go so far as to say Cleary’s emergence has stamped Konstanty’s papers. Potentially Wicks too (at least for 2024).

Cleary is gooooooooood.

I’d go so far as to say Cleary’s emergence has stamped Konstanty’s papers. Potentially Wicks too (at least for 2024).

Cleary is gooooooooood.
I think Konstanty’s papers were well and truly stamped weeks ago. Maybe months. Nothing to do with Cleary who, I imagine, is destined for the engine room in the near future.

And Wicks’s four week suspension has stamped his own papers for 2024, especially with our VFL team very likely to miss the finals, thereby robbing him of the AFL bye weekend as one more to count towards the four weeks.

I think Konstanty’s papers were well and truly stamped weeks ago. Maybe months. Nothing to do with Cleary who, I imagine, is destined for the engine room in the near future.

And Wicks’s four week suspension has stamped his own papers for 2024, especially with our VFL team very likely to miss the finals, thereby robbing him of the AFL bye weekend as one more to count towards the four weeks.
It’s a good point that Cleary will ultimately end up an inside mid.

But we all know Horse generally likes players to serve an apprenticeship on a half line.

With our lack of quality small / crumbing forwards, I can see Caiden in the forwards for a few years.

The kid is goooooooood.

Because he hasn't been injured at all this year (from memory), he's used the time in the 2's to work and build his tank

Cleary will be more valuable to us as a Dylan Moore type instead of inside mid

The best grand final cameos all come down to alliteration - it’s all in the name.

Take exhibit number 1 - Mitch MORRRRRTON.

I present the case that Caiden Cleary will be our grand final wildcard.

Caiden is fast, very fast.
Number 2

Behind James Jooooooordon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33 Caiden Cleary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back