Player Watch #33 Caiden Cleary

Remove this Banner Ad

May be I am going a little overboard with Cleary but he is so young and reminds of Guilden when he first started

We're at the point of calling players a 'young Gulden'

Cleary’s been getting a huge amount of press these past 2 days, lots of articles about his imminent return and how he can impact the finals and grand final.

SMH has a couple of articles. Exciting !

Ohhhh, Nathan Cleary. The click bait articles got me again.

JHWF - not the sharpest tool in the shed on a Monday.

Cleary’s been getting a huge amount of press these past 2 days, lots of articles about his imminent return and how he can impact the finals and grand final.

SMH has a couple of articles. Exciting !

Ohhhh, Nathan Cleary. The click bait articles got me again.

JHWF - not the sharpest tool in the shed on a Monday.

It's alright, our Cleary will be better anyway.

Believe it was on the SCG itself before the gates opened. I saw Snell walking back to the RHI an hour before the gates opened in full kit.
Guessing it would have had some VFL listed players also in there to make up the numbers because you had the 23 players + emergencies not playing so say 26-27 listed players not playing.

He's one that could really smash it this preseason. Was understandable on why he was left out for better personnel after his good patch of footy late in the year.

Hearing that he was also a very close chance of being in the 23 during finals gives good optimism.

He's one that could really smash it this preseason. Was understandable on why he was left out for better personnel after his good patch of footy late in the year.

Hearing that he was also a very close chance of being in the 23 during finals gives good optimism.
Agree. Should have played finals imo. Needs to start Round 1.

I've been probably a bit negative on here lately so **** it, gonna try to find some things to be positive about. There are plenty. This guy was one of them. Probably got lost in the non-stop craziness of the headlines (good and bad) around us this year, but Cleary getting a few games and genuinely looking the part was an unexpected but nice storyline.

I said pre-season I wouldn't be surprised if Cleary banged the door down enough to earn a senior debut and play senior footy, and I also said I wouldn't be surprised if he looked at home at the elite level. And yet I was still somewhat surprised, mainly because it was kinda crazy to me that a 19 year old kid had managed to make himself a genuine chance to play in a qualifying final of the minor premiers.

I also really liked that after his debut he went back to the VFL and had a bit of a form slump that is typical of young players who are exposed to the senior level. They kinda realise how far off they might be after all and it seems to take a bit of a toll on their form when they return back to the reserves. But Cleary just played through it and came out the other end playing his best footy yet and eventually earning another senior chance where he really took it. Shows a lot of maturity and level-headedness and commitment to his craft IMO.

Good on him and hope he has a fit and full pre-season. If he does I can see him being right in the picture come 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really enjoyed watching him live at Marvel stadium when we played Essendon. He dropped a mark early in the game, (which may have cost a goal), but he didn't let that get to him. He kicked a couple of great goals and his pressure was fantastic all through the game. I think that's something our forward line missed because when our forwards couldn't mark the ball, it came out too easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33 Caiden Cleary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back