Retired #34: Andrew Phillips - Retiring at the end of the 2023 season - 8/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Basic issue is right now he is not physically strong enough. He is a decent lump of a lad. He will probably put on another 5 to 6 kg in the next few seasons. His marking is hit and miss. Because he is still not as powerful as he can be he does get knocked of the ball in marking contests. His follow up work is okay. His tap work is good. He contests all day and his skills are decent. He is 21. He is not going to be taking the ruck at AFL level a lot for another 2 to 3 years . Right now despite being in the system a similar length of time he is physically 3 years behind Draper who is 24 and has 4 or 5 kg on him. I hope they do get some games into him. If Draper had the same skill set Bryan has he would be the best ruck in the comp. We just need patience and maybe another option going forward rather than Phillips.
The very short term answer is look at Sam Naismith who had a lot of injury issues with the Swans but is doing a really good job for Port Melb in the VFL.
AFL website has all the VFL games so you can watch them back if you ever have time.
They also have minis available to watch :thumbsu:
Mid season draft?

Would love Narkle but we desperately need a marking tall.

Phillips hasn't been able to take those contested marks for a few weeks now.
Looks like he's lost a step, can't jump for the marks lately.

Hopefully he can turn it around soon.

Shades of Zac Clarke out there today. Probably gets another gig out of no other options but geez, has to be his last year. The 1 good game for 5 stinkers model isn't sustainable.

Should have been rested against Geelong. Has always struggled to back up, and would have given him 12 days before the Port match.

His role is to support Draper and look at the influence Drapes had in the second half.

There’s no way Draper has that sort of burst without someone sharing the ruck load.

With no Wright to chop out ruck duties and Bryan looking not up to it yet, there’s no reason at all to drop him.

That's correct. I don't. It's not the worst 3 game stretch I've ever seen from an AFL player. I doubt it's the worst you've seen either. That also doesn't mean I think he's in good form.

Over rounds 6 & 7 he had a combined 1 kick and 0 marks. That's not hyperbole, those are the stats/stat.

He then had 9 stats for 4 clangers (which doesn't properly take into account what he did at the end of the game) in round 8.

You can not agree with it but it's absolutely valid.

Over rounds 6 & 7 he had a combined 1 kick and 0 marks. That's not hyperbole, those are the stats/stat.

He then had 9 stats for 4 clangers (which doesn't properly take into account what he did at the end of the game) in round 8.

You can not agree with it but it's absolutely valid.

He's a ruckman, you can't simply ignore hitouts of which he had 25 then 22 in 6 & 7.

No one is arguing he's a superstar in great form, but 'worst 3 game stretch' is definitely hyperbole.

His role is to support Draper and look at the influence Drapes had in the second half.

There’s no way Draper has that sort of burst without someone sharing the ruck load.

With no Wright to chop out ruck duties and Bryan looking not up to it yet, there’s no reason at all to drop him.
This is a good point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't it take him 3.5 quarters to work out what to do in the middle?

Was rubbish until late.
i don't think he was rubbish. some big clunks earlier in the game that draper has not provided for us this year. powerful running and great physical game. he played well, i reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back