Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Options are limited I guess. Keep in mind there's no Parker, Mills, Sheldrick to select from, Warner Jr is being managed himself, Cleary evidently not quite ready for a full senior game.

Not really anyone else who could play defence besides Roberts.
Like I said a few days back regarding our depth.
We are not in the same league as our p’ship threats.
Carlton have an embarrassment of riches playing reserves.

I thought it was time to give Matty a pat on the back. So here it is.

23 disposals at 87% makes him the second most effective disposer of the ball behind Fox against Brisbane.

I was very impressed with his composure and quick reactions under pressure. He looks solidly best 22 now.

The bonus is, that as well as HBF he can also be an inside midfield option.

Good on you Matty!

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Will need to work on his ball use if that's the role he is going to play, but played with really good confidence and authority to attack the footy and at least try to make things happen. Gutsy effort for a kid.
The biggest problem (not the only one but definitely the biggest) with his ball use was what was going on in front of him. The reason he had 895m was that he was forced to go long down the line most of the time.
His best game by far.

When he got managed against the Giants, it was nice to hear Horse praise him midweek saying that he's an important part of our back 6.

His last 5 weeks has been excellent averaging 25 touches, really liking his composure and awareness.

Roberts goes under the radar a lot. Considering his age he has been amazing this year.
Should be in contention for the Rising Star but hardly gets mentioned by the media

Should be in contention for the Rising Star but hardly gets mentioned by the media
He's now in his 3rd year so even if he still qualifies its only because of a quirk in the rules.

I'd prefer to talk about how his return to form has provided some semblance of sanity down back while the rest of the backs have been treating the ball likes its a strange form of bubonic plague and don't want to get anywhere near it.

That booming kick of his is what we needed for the kicks out of goal, because who can we trust now? Certainly not Blakey who is costing us down back.

He's now in his 3rd year so even if he still qualifies its only because of a quirk in the rules.
Oliver Dempsey was taken in the same year (rookie draft) and is currently the overwhelming favourite ($1.10 next best is $21, Roberts is paying $67!).

So it’s a quirk that the bookies seem to think will produce this years winner. 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer to talk about how his return to form has provided some semblance of sanity down back while the rest of the backs have been treating the ball likes its a strange form of bubonic plague and don't want to get anywhere near it.

That booming kick of his is what we needed for the kicks out of goal, because who can we trust now? Certainly not Blakey who is costing us down back.
Do you not think that the loss of a Melican and Rampe caused the majority of problems here?

In my view, we are one tall defender short, and have been all season. McCartin, Melican and Rampe have been great, but only Rampe is really flexible in his role and all 3 of them are under 195cm.

We lose McInerney in round 18, win that game, lose the next 3.

We lose Rampe in round 19, and lose that one, and the next 2.

We lose Melican in round 20, and lose that one and the next one.

Now we have Florent and Blakey trying to maintain their roles and fill the gaps, against teams that have planned to exploit these circumstances.

Add to this, the midfield has been down in the same period due to the loss of McInerney and Papley... putting more pressure on the backs at the time they can least afford it.

This kind of stuff happens in young teams... they'll work their way back into it as long we don't lose another one.

One more key personal out and that will be a bridge too far in my view; but a lot their issues have been down to luck in my view... (And yes, I saw the Doggies game where they lost the plot and then couldn't get it back together)

Do you not think that the loss of a Melican and Rampe caused the majority of problems here?

In my view, we are one tall defender short, and have been all season. McCartin, Melican and Rampe have been great, but only Rampe is really flexible in his role and all 3 of them are under 195cm.

Now we have Florent and Blakey trying to maintain their roles and fill the gaps, against teams that have planned to exploit these circumstances.

Add to this, the midfield has been down in the same period due to the loss of McInerney and Papley... putting more pressure on the backs at the time they can least afford it.

This kind of stuff happens in young teams... they'll work their way back into it as long we don't lose another one.

One more key personal out and that will be a bridge too far in my view; but a lot their issues have been down to luck in my view... (And yes, I saw the Doggies game where they lost the plot and then couldn't get it back together)
I had similar thoughts to another post you made about who we have had disruption to. It’s amounts to half of our top 10-12 players. That is difficult to replace and puts greater responsibility on everyone else.

You can lose 5-6 players but if they are from those that generate a lot of your play, or impact those that do (needing to do perform different roles to a higher level), then it’s difficult to maintain the same performance.

His season has me real excited about his future.
Me too! I really like his focus, kicking and decision making, and it looks like he has good hands... makes the odd mistake but moves on and attacks the next play.

Is he quick?

Me too! I really like his focus, kicking and decision making, and it looks like he has good hands... makes the odd mistake but moves on and attacks the next play.

Is he quick?
That he's not. I think that's why the distributor role off HB suits him more than mid

great perspective, great post

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back