Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a few very good mids who could never be accused of being quick. Not saying he WILL end up there, but he MIGHT, same as I said he MIGHT end up as a defender. šŸ˜‰
Who knows? He could have a bag of tricks and end up as a medium / small forward. What I am confident about is that he will be a very good player for us, hopefully for a long time.

Who knows? He could have a bag of tricks and end up as a medium / small forward. What I am confident about is that he will be a very good player for us, hopefully for a long time.
On that we agree ferociously.
If I recall he was expected to go a lot higher in his draft year but got injured. Played a lot in the SANFL with men. Bit of a bargain it seems.
I imagine he will win BF YPOTY and the club Rising Star. Richly deserved.

On that we agree ferociously.
If I recall he was expected to go a lot higher in his draft year but got injured. Played a lot in the SANFL with men. Bit of a bargain it seems.
I imagine he will win BF YPOTY and the club Rising Star. Richly deserved.
I like that he rarely cops criticism because he just goes about his footy and rarely does anything majorly wrong and mostly takes the right options. A pleasant surprise to see him nail a position down back very early this year and keep it.

I will always remember his first game. He looked like someone trying to dodge cars on a freeway. A deer in the headlights. The game was too fast for him that day. It may have been that Richmond game at the SCG where Warner nearly gave the game away in the dying seconds and two umps contradicted each other as to the right decision. I could be wrong though.

I like that he rarely cops criticism because he just goes about his footy and rarely does anything majorly wrong and mostly takes the right options. A pleasant surprise to see him nail a position down back very early this year and keep it.

I will always remember his first game. He looked like someone trying to dodge cars on a freeway. A deer in the headlights. The game was too fast for him that day. It may have been that Richmond game at the SCG where Warner nearly gave the game away in the dying seconds and two umps contradicted each other as to the right decision. I could be wrong though.
You're right about him and Warner. Just don't recall if it was the same game.
Think it's pretty normal for a first game to go past in a flash. The step up in speed, particularly in decision making, is phenomenal. Some never make it. Matt looks very much at home now.
I hope Gus Sheldrick gets to that place too because I think he also has a lot to offer in the same way.

You're right about him and Warner. Just don't recall if it was the same game.
Think it's pretty normal for a first game to go past in a flash. The step up in speed, particularly in decision making, is phenomenal. Some never make it. Matt looks very much at home now.
I hope Gus Sheldrick gets to that place too because I think he also has a lot to offer in the same way.
Gus was very good in the VFL. Racked up possessions and absolutely nailed a few kicks.

Gus was very good in the VFL. Racked up possessions and absolutely nailed a few kicks.
Gus definitely has what it takes. Shows it at VFL. Started to show it last year in seniors. The problem for him is getting a run. Matt relocated and did so well he forced his way in (though with Mills back he might still miss out) but I'm not sure Gus has that option. Parker, Rowbottom, Adams, Heeney in front of him. Could be a long wait.

Not getting enough love
Agreed. Bloke knows how to find the agget.

This guys is going to turn into a very high posession accumulating, Brownlow vote polling mid in a couple of years.

Matt Roberts will be a future Brownlow medalist, you heard it here first.

Once again even in our votes , no love for this bloke who has to be back in Rising star votes 6 great weeks in a row
He seems destined to follow the Jake Lloyd trajectory of quietly going about his business with little fanfare.

He's been our best player over the past month - something that was not on my bingo card this year.

He's not a flashy type, but does the basics very very well. Is a very mature performer and makes the right choice most of the time.

One of the things I value most highly is the fact that he has shown he's able to perform when the chips are down. A very important part of the team imo.

Love his work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going be the wet blanket here. While he was good with ball in hand, some of his defensive efforts, espeically in the air weren't that crash hot. It didn't really cost us against Essendon because their dysfunctional forward line, I think he could be targeted by opposition coaches of better sides in the finals.

I'm going be the wet blanket here. While he was good with ball in hand, some of his defensive efforts, espeically in the air weren't that crash hot. It didn't really cost us against Essendon because their dysfunctional forward line, I think he could be targeted by opposition coaches of better sides in the finals.

might be true but he did effect a very good spoil running back into the goal square,

You may be correct but considering he has played 26 career games, 5 as sub, you'd have to think his progress has been very good and that he has a lot of improvement left in him, even on a game by game basis.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s his kicking action or some of his movements but he reminds me of Dan Hannebery at times. Not his overall game but just some actions.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s his kicking action or some of his movements but he reminds me of Dan Hannebery at times. Not his overall game but just some actions.
Absolutely. Has reminded me of him since his debut. The way he moves I reckon.

So as I mentioned earlier - Jake Lloyd 2.0. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back