Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

I am pretty sure Dempsey is like $1.10.

There is so much group think with the rising star.

Haven’t paid attention to odds and what not. Bit of a default setting anyway with Reid ineligible. Would have thought they’d give it to Wardlaw though

You can't really compare disposal efficiency for a player who plays as a defender and a guy who plays in the guts. The former doesn't come under as much pressure as the latter

Go easy on Jude Bolton - 3 well deserved votes for Matty. 8th place well done!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute bullshit that vote was , anyhow a medal in 28 days would be good
Absolutely, the fact that Jude was the only person who voted for him was criminal. Certainly had a much better season than most of the others who scored votes - even Dempsey, who like Roberts is in his third season, and whom I very much like as a footballer, hasn't had the influence that Roberts has had. But anyways...

Was a bit off his best in his first final, suspect he will be better for the run
Agreed, like a lot of kids playing their first final, especially in defence, he really struggled with the pace and brutality and seemed completely blown up by Q4. (And yes I know a lot of the Hawks, Cats and Lions newbies played well - but I'd argue their games were of a very different intensity)

Not suggesting he'll be dropped, but coaching staff needs to be realistic about what they can expect from him.

Agreed, like a lot of kids playing their first final, especially in defence, he really struggled with the pace and brutality and seemed completely blown up by Q4. (And yes I know a lot of the Hawks, Cats and Lions newbies played well - but I'd argue their games were of a very different intensity)

Not suggesting he'll be dropped, but coaching staff needs to be realistic about what they can expect from him.
I saw a thing on Twitter last week (can't remember where now) of how all our players first finals games were rated and from memory like 90% of them had terrible ratings in their first finals, even the best players like Rampe, Heeney, Papley etc.

So no shame in it, and I also think Roberts wasn't helped by the fact most of his teammates were also well off the boil for most of the game, unlike the Hawks, Cats, Lions youngsters you speak of.

I saw a thing on Twitter last week (can't remember where now) of how all our players first finals games were rated and from memory like 90% of them had terrible ratings in their first finals, even the best players like Rampe, Heeney, Papley etc.

So no shame in it, and I also think Roberts wasn't helped by the fact most of his teammates were also well off the boil for most of the game, unlike the Hawks, Cats, Lions youngsters you speak of.

and he's playing in defence, which was under pressure early, so any nerves would hardly have got a chance to settle
no worries at all about roberts, he'll take so much from that game ... we've got a real good one there

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back