carntheeagles

Senior List
Apr 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
S Freo, W Warriors, AUS
Hey, i was looking through this and trying to find a spot for Wilson. I couldn't find one so i thought i would get on and make one up :)

Im relatively knew to this forum so I hope I'm not breaking any rules or anything.

2008_WILSONCallum_med.jpg
http://www.w*************.au/players/photos/Wilson-Callum.jpg

Rookie Draft Selection 55: Callum Wilson
Recruited From: South Fremantle
Height: 191cm
Weight: 89kg
Position: Tall defender
Bio: A key defender who held down centre half-back for the majority of the season with South Fremantle's senior side.

WAFL REPORTS

WAFL Report for Round 2

Callum Wilson (SF): Callum played at centre half-back against Josh Kennedy for the first three quarters but was moved to centre half-forward in the fourth. He had a good duel with Josh in the first half and didn't give him too much space and Josh out-marked him just a couple of times. In the third quarter, Josh had a big impact but Callum also picked up possessions and was always looking to run and create. He finished the game at centre half-forward where he was proactive in pressing up the ground and kicked one goal. Callum continues to work hard and is very positive in his football.

By Mic Cullen
http://westcoasteagles.com.au/tabid/7155/default.aspx?newsid=57240

WAFL Report for Round 5

Callum Wilson (SF): Callum played at centre half-forward against Hancock for the first three quarters and against Martin in the last term. He opened strongly with four kicks, four marks and a goal in the first term, but did not have the same influence in the last three quarters. It was still a solid contribution from him, although not dominant.

By Mic Cullen from the WCE webby
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/Season2008/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7155/Default.aspx?newsId=58426

WAFL Report for Round 7

Callum Wilson (SF): Callum started at half-forward opposed to Billings. He had limited opportunities in the first quarter, but did kick a good goal. He was shifted to full-back at the start of the second quarter and played on Krueger. Callum worked hard but South was under pressure in defence. Callum was at his best in the third quarter when opposed to Krueger, Young and Thornton. His impact on the game was minimal.

By Mich Cullen from the WCE webby
http://westcoasteagles.com.au/tabid/7155/default.aspx?newsid=59317

WAFL Report for Round 10

Callum Wilson : Struggled to get into the game, although he did pick up a few possessions. The South Fremantle defence was generally under siege, with Subiaco dominating through the midfield.

By Nathan Schmook from the WCE webby
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/tabid/7155/Default.aspx?newsid=60425

Having talked to Callum in depth about his game. He said he ran off his player quite a few times but was not used and because Subiaco was rebounding so well that he was taking a massive risk in leaving his man.

Still racked up 15 possessions i believe. So not so bad also i don't think his player kicked a bag either.

WAFL Report for Round 14

Callum Wilson
Played as a key defender and certainly did all that was asked of him in a game that South Fremantle dominated. The Bulldogs were rarely placed under any pressure and when East Perth did venture forward, Wilson was there to curtail many of their attacking sorties. He generally played from in front and when the ball hit the deck he recovered quickly and was a strong rebounding option.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/tabid/7155/Default.aspx?newsid=62570

CARNTHEEAGLES !

Just an article i stumbled on.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/sport/afl/story/0,26633,23523077-5016228,00.html
Bulldog Callum Wilson boots six goals in switch forward
By Chris Pike

0,,5982448,00.jpg

AFTER his six-goal display for South Fremantle against Peel, Callum Wilson is hoping to continue that form and break onto West Coast's senior list. Wilson burst onto the season with South Fremantle late in 2006 when he booted five goals on debut, but throughout the majority of 2007 he performed well in defence. That form earned him a spot on West Coast's rookie list.

However, coach John Dimmer threw him forward with the loss of Ryan Murphy last Friday night and the 19-year-old proved he hadn’t forgotten how to perform in front of the big sticks - with six majors in the 70-point victory.

"It was a bit of a switch from defence to forward and took me a while to get going because I couldn’t get a kick in the first quarter, but then it started to come together," Wilson said.

" ;I was just lucky that a few things went my way. In the second quarter, I got fired up when I kicked a few and my confidence soared. I'm a confidence player, so when things start going my way I can get a bit of a roll on."

Coming into the game, Wilson felt he would be an option behind Brenton Edwards, Paul Mugambwa and Jaymie Graham, but that changed when he booted three goals in the second quarter.

"I've always loved my goals, so it was good to get among them again," he said.

"I was looking forward to playing as the third tall to be honest, but I grabbed the added responsibility with both hands and made the most of it."

Wilson has enjoyed the chance to develop as a key defender and is positive that the experience of seeing how some of the WAFL's best forwards operate has helped him tremendously.

"I've learned a lot about the way I should move as a forward and it helps me to be more dangerous as a forward when I go down there," he said.

"I've also picked up a few tricks to catch defenders out as I have fallen for them down the other end, so it has helped me both ways playing back there."

Wilson has enjoyed his time at West Coast since being picked up in the rookie draft last year and has learned how hard you have to work to be an AFL player.

"It has been a good learning curve. Seeing all the blokes there shows how much you need to work to be an AFL player and I probably didn’t quite had that level of dedication before they picked me up," he said.

"Since I have been there, I have picked that up, been working really hard and everyone there seems to bounce off each other and help one another out a lot."

Wilson does enjoy being able to be a footballer full-time and that makes life overall easier, but the training is anything but easy.

"The pressure of performing at training all the time has been tough, but the coaches and players reassure you all the time that you should just go for it. While you are entitled to make mistakes, they tell you to enjoy yourself and try to make the most out of training every time you get out there," he said.

"It gives me a little bit of extra time to do some of the things that I enjoy and it's a lot easier to focus on footy than when I had to juggle uni, a job and training. It's a lot different for sure and I'm really enjoying it."

Wilson now attacks the rest of 2008 confident that he can perform at both ends of the ground and he is hoping that translates to him earning a spot on the West Coast senior list before too long.

"It just gives me that extra bit of confidence knowing that I can perform at either end of the ground. I've sort of always known I had that flexibility, it has just taken a little while to show it so far this year," he said.

"There is a spot available for one of the rookies to be upgraded, so I'm just looking to play as well as I can and that is definitely what I'm aiming for down the track."

I think in that game he only had 7 kicks and kicked 6 goals. Pretty impressive. I think he likes playing forward better then playing back.

Another article i stumbled on.
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/sport/afl/story/0,26633,23489921-5016228,00.html

Peel Thunder struck by 70-point Bulldogs Thumping by Chris Pike

• SOUTH Fremantle did not let the loss of Ryan Murphy and Paul Duffield stop them romping home with a 70-point victory over Peel Thunder last night.

Forwards from both sides enjoyed a night out, with Callum Wilson booting six goals for South Fremantle and Hayden Ballantyne kicking six for Peel. The difference, however, was that the Bulldogs had far more options.

Ten other South Fremantle players kicked a goal, while only four others did for Peel and Ballantyne booted the Thunder's last six of the game as the Bulldogs cruised to the 21.18 (144) to 10.14 (74) win.

Duffield was best on ground in the win over East Fremantle last week and went straight into Fremantle's side, while the Bulldogs suffered a blow before bouncedown with Murphy also pulled for Fremantle duties.

West Coast's Jaymie Graham returned and former Peel forward Nathan Phillips made his Bulldogs debut against his former side, but it was Eagles rookie Wilson that stepped up in Murphy's absence.

Wilson booted three second quarter goals, two in the third and one in the last in a terrific performance, with Brenton Edwards providing good support with two goals. Josh Head, Lukas Teague, Morgan Cooper and Hayden North also chipped in with two each.

Robert Haddrill was again terrific at full back on Dean Buszan, but the Peel big man suffered a bad cork that hampered him in the second half.

Teague played his best game of league football with 30 touches, Ray Smithers picked up 28, Kyle Hams 26, Kris Miller 23, Toby McGrath and James Walker 22, with Craig White, Head and Simon O'Keefe collecting 20 to be terrific contributors.

For Peel, Zac Beeck played his first game after a hamstring injury and death in the family kept him out of the first two matches. Peel lost Quinton Bolton and Adam Walsh from last week with former Shark Andrew Green coming in for his first game of 2008.

Beeck struggled in the wet conditions up forward, but will be better for the run and Peel look to have a strong big men department with him, Brendan Page, Buszan and Al McDonald.

Matt Rosa worked hard for 30 possessions; Will Schofield did superbly in defence against Graham, with Brock O'Brien very good with 20 touches and a long goal to be among Peel's better performers.

South Fremantle coach John Dimmer was happy with the performance, particularly with how the young players stepped up with Duffield and Murphy going out, and Tim Malseed and Ashton Hams still yet to play in 2008.

"I was very happy with how the boys turned it around as there were a few things in the first quarter that we weren’t doing right. They regrouped at quarter-time and were very good after that. We were pretty damn good in the second quarter kicking 9.8 and made a few errors after half-time, but conditions impacted on that," Dimmer said.

"The young blokes that came in were very good. I was particularly pleased with Morgan Cooper; Lukas Teague played his best game for the club, which is great. They are two young guys that haven’t even played 10 games that stood up.

"Our midfield across the board was even and that's what you look for in a successful team, so that you don’t have one or two dominating. James Walker and Andrew Siegert once again played their part and are slowly getting back into the swing of things, so we are looking all right."

South Fremantle got the first goal of the game through North who ran off Ballantyne, but then Peel answered through long bombs to O'Brien and Adam Boone to hit the front as the rain started to pour down.

O'Keefe put the Bulldogs in front midway through the term but Peel were taking its chances better and goals to Andrew Green, Buszan and Ballantyne saw it hold a seven-point lead at the first change.

The optimism Peel would have been feeling was short-lived, though, as South Fremantle ran rampant with nine goals to one in the second to open up a 47-point half-time lead.

Graham, Head, Hunt and Teague all kicked truly inside the opening 10 minutes before Ballantyne kicked his second to keep Peel in touch. However, South Fremantle then kicked five more in time-on, including three to Wilson.

The Bulldogs continued to dominate in the third term with four goals to two to hold a 55-point advantage at three quarter-time. Wilson added two more in the quarter to give him five; while Ballantyne kicked Peel's only two to have four.

Ballantyne managed two more goals for Peel in the final quarter, but can consider himself very lucky. One came from a dubious free kick and 50m penalty, then straight after he was given another kick from the goal square after a scuffle.

South Fremantle still managed five goals themselves to go on to record the emphatic win and continue its rebound after losing to Subiaco in Round 1.

SOUTH FREMANTLE 3.5 12.13 16.16 21.18 144
PEEL 5.0 6.2 8.9 10.14 74

BEST
– Bulldogs: J Head, C Wilson, L Teague, H North, K Hams, R Haddrill, R Smithers.
Thunder: W Schofield, H Ballantyne, M Rosa, D Butler, B O'Brien.

GOALS – Bulldogs: C Wilson 6, M Cooper 2, B Edwards 2, J Head 2, H North 2, L Teague 2, J Graham, S Hunt, T McGrath, S O'Keefe, A Siegert.
Thunder: H Ballantyne 6, B O'Brien, A Boone, A Green, D Buszan.

Umpires: J Dalgleish, G Statham, S Parry.
Crowd: About 1200 at Fremantle Oval.

A picture of McGinnity, Wilson and Stevenson. I think this was the day they go announced as Rookies at the WCE.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7155/Default.aspx?newsId=54207

Rookies_WestCoast%28med%29.jpg

WEST COAST Eagles recruiting manager Trevor Woodhouse has declared himself happy after the NAB AFL Pre-season and NAB AFL Rookie Drafts on Tuesday.
West Coast took Patrick McGinnity from Claremont in the NAB AFL Pre-season Draft, and Lewis Stevenson (Claremont), Ashley Arrowsmith (Calder Cannons), Will Sullivan (Western Jets) and Callum Wilson (South Fremantle) in the rookie meeting.
"We probably had about 10 guys who we put on a short list – a shorter list – and these guys were in the mix and they fell pretty well for us, so we were pretty happy and it's always good to get local guys," Woodhouse said.
Woodhouse said while most players not selected in the NAB AFL Draft on November 24 would no doubt consider themselves unlucky to be passed over, the ball was now in the court of those who have been picked up this week.
"In the end, once you're given your opportunity – as I said to the boys before – just grab it with two hands and make sure you don't die wondering.
"It's a funny thing, because realistically they're getting picked at picks 80, 90, 100 in terms of if you start at the very beginning of the [NAB AFL] Draft, which as I've said to the guys, even in interviewing, it really means nothing.
"There's guys that are left over every year who could have been picked in the National Draft [on November 24].
"We go with guys that have got good credentials, and we like to get quality people, and that's what we think we've done."
At 19, Wilson is hardly experienced, but after a season where he managed for the most part to hold down centre half-back for South Fremantle in the WAFL, he said West Coast's stellar reputation for promoting players from the rookie list was encouraging.
"Dean Cox and Matt Priddis – those sort of stories [are inspiring].
"For me - Matt Priddis being a bit older and getting picked up after having a bit more time to mature in the WAFL and he's come in and had an impact in his second year as an AFL player – I definitely look up to that and take some inspiration out of it," he said.
Former West Coast players Daniel Chick and Ashley Sampi nominated for the drafts but neither was selected.

neither wilkes nor davis can play since they have played for west coast.

that squad you got there is old.

theres a new one somewhere.

well somebody has to post here, poor callum will think he only has 1 fan.

Haha, thanks mate. Was getting a little bit lonely here :p

neither wilkes nor davis can play since they have played for west coast.

that squad you got there is old.

theres a new one somewhere.

Spot on there mate, just picked this up from the WAFL site.

http://www.auskick.com.au/wafl/15-news/534-chick-adds-hardness-to-wa-state-squad

Chick adds hardness to WA State Squad

Former Hawthorn and West Coast hardman Daniel Chick is one of the latest additions to the WAFL Carlton Draught State squad. Chick, Perth’s Aaron Zucconi and West Perth’s Brent LeCras have all been included in the WA squad that is preparing to take on Queensland in Townsville on Saturday, June 7. The game will start at 2.30pm local time.
Beau Wilkes and Ryan Davis have been ruled ineligible to play following their appearances for West Coast in recent weeks. Only AFL rookie-list players and not senior players are eligible for State selection.
The squad next trains at Subiaco Oval this Wednesday, May 28 from 5.30pm.
State squad information
Wed 28th May - Training - 5.30pm Subiaco Oval
Tues 3rd June - Recovery Training - 5.30pm TBC
Wed 4th June - Training (jumper presentation) - 5.30pm Fremantle Oval
Thurs 5th June - Perth to Brisbane - 12.35pm arrive 18.50
Fri 6th June - Travel to Townsville - 10.35am arrive 12.45
Sat 7th June - QLD vs WAFL - 2.30pm Tony Ireland Stadium
Sun 8th June - Return to Brisbane - 11.30am arrive 13.10
Sun 8th June - Brisbane to Perth - 19.50 arrive 23.20
WAFL State training squad:
CLAREMONT: David Crawford, Ian Richardson
EAST FREMANTLE: Leith Teakle
EAST PERTH: Trevor Oliver, Tim Noakes, Andrew Merrington
PEEL THUNDER: Simon Rosa, Hayden Ballantyne
PERTH: Troy Cook, Ross Young, Scott Siekierka, Jarrod Kayler-Thompson, Ashley Thornton, Aaron Zucconi
SOUTH FREMANTLE: Callum Wilson, Toby McGrath
SUBIACO: Blake Broadhurst, Aidan Parker, Luke Newick, Darren Rumble, Kyal Horsley, Ben Keevers, Greg Broughton, Shaun Hildebrandt, Adam Cockie, Phil Read, Daniel Chick
SWAN DISTRICTS: Josh Roberts, Brett Robinson, Andrew Krakouer
WEST PERTH: Jason Salecic, Brent LeCras

Definately a more future style defender as he is quick, big and likes to run.

One to watch for the future as I think Wilson and Sullivan will be the next two players to get a gig on the senior list.

South Fremantle won convincingly against East Fremantle.

Wilson had about 15 to 20 touches from what i hear.

Anybody see his game ?

Just some feedback from guys that saw the game.

Yeah, sorry carntheeagles. He was not that noticable, as was much of South's team. They have a job and do it, although he did take a courageous mark in the last for a goal. Normally I can't help but notice Josh Head, but he wasn't that noticeable today either.

Far from an easy win, Easts were persistent all day. Easts led at half time and it was only a 5 goal burst late in the third term which finally gave South some breathing room. Even then we kicked out to about 40 odd points early in the last only for Easts to again rally and get the margin back to 3 goals. South again steadied though and kicked a few goals on end to push the margin back out to 30 points.

It was far from an easy win though, and credit to the Sharks for pushing us all day.

Wilson did ok down back and looked dangerous up forward as well. Almost crumbed a good goal in the third only for it to hit the post. Kicked another great goal in the third after a free kick was paid to a team mate only for the ump to bring back advantage and the kick to be scrubbed.

Wilson played ok without dominating

Remove this Banner Ad

# 36 - Callum Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back