AFL Player #36: Jayden Davey

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a pity that, so far, neither Davey boy seems to have that tackle/pressure that I think there dad had.

It's a pity that, so far, neither Davey boy seems to have that tackle/pressure that I think there dad had.
I think they can learn it. Alwyn is getting to good positions but then just being APS gentle. Another 5kg and he can hit the contest without bouncing off.

Alwyn snr was the finished product by the time he made his debut, and I can assure you he’ll be in his boys ears about what is lacking in their game.

Alwyn Senior debuted at 23 years old.

You are looking at literally 2027 before the twins are at that age and level of physical maturity.

For a natural small forward he isn't contributing nearly as much as I would expect. a goal a game but not. even 1 tackle a game nor 10 possessions is below average.

Aware young players take time and he is in a spot we're usually poor at developing but apart from the 3.2, 15 disposal outing against Williamstown, he has barely been passable every time he has played.

I hope its not a package deal with Alwyn because I am at least bullish with him, Jayden I am more sceptical here

For a natural small forward he isn't contributing nearly as much as I would expect. a goal a game but not. even 1 tackle a game nor 10 possessions is below average.

Aware young players take time and he is in a spot we're usually poor at developing but apart from the 3.2, 15 disposal outing against Williamstown, he has barely been passable every time he has played.

I hope its not a package deal with Alwyn because I am at least bullish with him, Jayden I am more sceptical here

I reckon he is a prime candidate to be moved from the main list to the rookie list.

Just play the kid if he's ready
It is the if he is ready. He can make the most of his opportunities but the effort and application has not always been there.
Today so far. 8 touches. 3 goals no tackles.

He's not going to be high output. He is seeming to have high impact.
Do not mind him being a 10 possession player. Would like to see 3 or 4 in the tackle column.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do not mind him being a 10 possession player. Would like to see 3 or 4 in the tackle column.
It'd be ideal, but I don't think it'll be the way people want to see. I have the strong suspicion that people want to see the Davey boys closing fast and chasing players down like their ol' dad. It's just not the way we play, we don't move it forward at all cost and scrub it in quickly the way the tigers did in their small forward era. Our slow build style leads to forward congestion, and there isn't going to be 1 v 1 duals out in space. Players aren't getting ran down when they have support nearby to block or receive a handball, no matter how fast you are.

Not sure what his repeat efforts were like before injury? A pre season or two is required to build that in any event.

twice in his 15 VFL games has he had more than 1 tackle (2 & 4). Every other game has been 1 or none

I wholeheartedly agree. I would love to just throw Jayden, Alwyn or Menzie back in the ones but the lack of tackling at the lower level is a concern. What is it going to be like at senior level?

Has the marksmen you want from a small forward. Takes half chances and punishes the opposition in front of goal looks very clinical in that aspect. Hopefully has some good health going forward.
from my recollection, 2 of his 3 goals were out the back, slingshot style goals

admittedly I was half watching on the phone at a family lunch

from my recollection, 2 of his 3 goals were out the back, slingshot style goals

admittedly I was half watching on the phone at a family lunch
I saw the (second one I think - to the left of screen) and it was the type highly skilled and clean players kick, has kicked a few others this year. We talk about guys missing due to injury or covid, he hasn't played for 2-3 years. I wouldn't risk him slipping to the rookie draft.

i don’t care if you have zero tackles - kick 3 goals and you’re in!

except if you are Jye Menzies obviously, he’s had his chance,
What about Jye Menzie though?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #36: Jayden Davey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back