Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Id contemplate another year at bare bones minimum wage or rookie list. He completes a few kicks here n there and he’ll look like a ripper. He is far beyond his first year. Throw him back to the scoobs. Not writing him off, not giving him a 2 year deal. On the fence. There is a talented footballer in there, he just needs to grab it by the balls

Id contemplate another year at bare bones minimum wage or rookie list. He completes a few kicks here n there and he’ll look like a ripper. He is far beyond his first year. Throw him back to the scoobs. Not writing him off, not giving him a 2 year deal. On the fence. There is a talented footballer in there, he just needs to grab it by the balls
Just like you I will call out s**t commentary.

Anyone would think we are running a park footy club, not a professional AFL program. You do know he gets paid? Paid to let his teammates down by squibbing anything that involves contact.

Talented? Delusional. Let’s leave it at that.

Honestly we’ve done him no favours playing him in the seniors this whole time. It’s just messed up his confidence and development. The VFL team have been doing so well, he would’ve benefited a lot more if he was still playing there this whole time.

Honestly we’ve done him no favours playing him in the seniors this whole time. It’s just messed up his confidence and development. The VFL team have been doing so well, he would’ve benefited a lot more if he was still playing there this whole time.
Im just flabbergasted that someone so afraid of body contact has lasted so long on an AFL list.

Bordering on negligent list management.

I think he sees the floor as a refuge from contact/potential injury. He seems to willingly go to ground at completely unnecessary times. I don't even think it's his physique that's the issue. In his mind he's a boy against men and that's exactly how it plays out. Fair chance that was his last game for the club I reckon

He’s in the team only because of his foot speed / pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure we appreciate going forward that the kid isn’t good enough but it’s not his fault he gets picked or is drafted to our club.
Coaches have been told numerous times that Phoenix will struggle with the demands and level required of AFL and yet we wheel him out weekly expecting him to perform to a standard not within his capabilities.

Enoughs enough. Let him see out the year in the VFL and everybody move on.

He’s in the team only because of his foot speed / pressure
Yes and thats the only two cards he has available in his deck and at times even thats questionable.
I dont think there has been signs of anything else yet.
He is not a beautiful kick, doesnt get the sneaky goals and isnt as hard as a cats head. One of those might help.
His time in the seniors is not helping him atm and he needs something else in his arsenal but find it in the two's.

I don’t like putting our players down but I’ve seen enough with this kid, for someone who’s supposed to be quick he still manages a way to fumble or get tackled every time he has the ball, he’s got no goal craft, scared of contact and honestly, better off in the vfl where he was gaining confidence and performing before he was brought into the seniors. It’s all upstairs with him and it’s clearly not doing him any favours playing him and damaging his confidence even worse

Least of our problems

I just don’t get the pages of comments on young blokes whether it be Spice or Mahoney

It's a bit Carlton-like. See something you don't like at your club and then try outdo everyone else by going to the next extreme bagging it out as if to demonstrate you're more passionate than the next bloke. At least at Carlton the hyperbole is aimed at the whole team and not a young individual who is trying his best but without all the attributes needed to succeed at this level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back