Player Watch #37 Matthew Parker - Returned home to WA effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to agree. I live in Sth Freo and they love him here. Hard as a cats head and lots of X factor. People make assumptions about him based on his looks...let's hope he can show what he can do. I was surprised Saints let him go. Really he's a free hit.

Yeah mate, lots of talent to work with and comes ready-made Tiger Tough.

Let's face it, most of the reasons anyone would dislike him as an oppo player disappear when he's wearing yellow and black.

Will single-handedly double the salty melts coming our way if he gets games and succeeds...imagine him having a Pickett GF style performance...

CreamyUnhappyDrake-size_restricted.gif

So do we love this pick or is he already a failure before he’s even hit the park?

All joking aside, I liked this guy when he played for St Kilda, he’s not going to be a superstar, but that’s not really something we look for in the mid-season draft. Looking forward to seeing how he goes with us.

PS. We do like our South Freo boys don’t we?

Welldone to do the guy! Looking forward to watching him play and getting behind him. He looks to have plenty of talent, let's hope he can become a regular in the side. He adds a different dimension that we're missing.

Don’t think we really have anyone similar on our list
He’s a medium forward on paper but plays more like a small but can also be decent in the air bringing the ball to ground

At worst he just puts our other smalls on notice in terms of not being auto selected most weeks and at best he adds something different to our forward set up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is south Freo our WA feeder club?
Stack, Pickett and now Parker all played for them
Bolton, Pickett and Parker...

Stack was a Perth boy...

I have a strong dislike, nah call it hate, for South Freo, but they not south Freo boys anymore, they tigers!

Looks like he has all the talent in the world...but is a flog. Now I don't know the guy but i he reminds me a lot of Stack, CJ, Pickett and even Dusty who need our strong culture to thrive in. I'm sure he could easily fall off the rails. He seems arrogant and far from team first (watch his goals and look for how many team mates he celebrates with) but I really think with his adding years of maturity and supportive environment, he'll embarrass a lot of recruiters and St Kilda staff moving forward.

Another diamond in the rough story

Pickett and Parker cell mates way back in WA, Marlion on his cell phone wishing Matthew a welcome to Punt RD

Good pickup I reckon. I like what Marion said to him. Put your head down, work hard and he will fit in well. Watching his highlight reel he hits hard in the tackle and is a good kick. A nice mean campaigner streak in him. Bit of the Junkyard Dog..

Don’t think we really have anyone similar on our list
He’s a medium forward on paper but plays more like a small but can also be decent in the air bringing the ball to ground

At worst he just puts our other smalls on notice in terms of not being auto selected most weeks and at best he adds something different to our forward set up
Seems like a Caddy type but more athletic, Caddy’s lack of explosiveness is probably why he’s been moved out of the forward line since Lynch arrived.

As far as pedigree goes I'm not a fan of previously delisted AFL players in their mid 20s. The success rate of that is low I'd have preferred we throw a dart at a kid or an untried player with upside.

See how he goes though, I can see him being a solid fringe/depth player, which would be okay for this pick.

iirc along the lines of Ben long,that other saint fringer,except this guy had more grunt,i guess it was a toss up to which one had to go
after bringing in jiggins

As far as pedigree goes I'm not a fan of previously delisted AFL players in their mid 20s. The success rate of that is low I'd have preferred we throw a dart at a kid or an untried player with upside.

See how he goes though, I can see him being a solid fringe/depth player, which would be okay for this pick.
Last mid season draft they were all delisted , mature age remained

Remove this Banner Ad

Back