AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Because we wouldn't play him.

It still doesn't make any sense does it? We won't play a HBF who can't defend but we'll move a Mid who can't defend back there.
Giving him a taste of senior footy and then sending him to the VFL to learn to defend better isn't the same as 'dumping' him, which is akin to delisting. We wanted to develop him. He listened to Hawthorn's overtures and walked.

Giving him a taste of senior footy and then sending him to the VFL to learn to defend better isn't the same as 'dumping' him, which is akin to delisting. We wanted to develop him. He listened to Hawthorn's overtures and walked.
We have moved a player back in defense to play unaccountable football.

There is 0 reason why Mass could not have been given the same luxury. We chose to not give it to him and happily moved him on.

We have moved a player back in defense to play unaccountable football.

There is 0 reason why Mass could not have been given the same luxury. We chose to not give it to him and happily moved him on.
Unles that hadn't been the plan until after the end of season review, thinking more carefully about Nick Daicos and watching Kid Coleman tear up a finals series.

Anyway, the conjecture I can see is over whether we 'dumped' Mass or not. I don't think we did.

Is a great player, I think is bit to soft aerially to spend too much time back. May not be soft just poor technique but caught out 3 or 4 times going 1 handed in aerial contests. Was bit disappointing didn't get dragged/spray for 1 that cost a goal. Nitpicking but think if we want to really improve standards, stamping out some of that stuff even in our better players is the next step.

Wasn't just yesterday, does seem to go 1 handed a bit, compare to redman, dursma, durham aerial technique when getting back. So hopefully can fix as martin much better player than most on afl lists.

Unles that hadn't been the plan until after the end of season review, thinking more carefully about Nick Daicos and watching Kid Coleman tear up a finals series.

Anyway, the conjecture I can see is over whether we 'dumped' Mass or not. I don't think we did.
Dumped is harsh, but if we wanted him he would be our list.

We offered him a year, I believe as a rookie. So we didn't dump him but weren't desperate to keep him either.

He was 'fine' for the Hawks on the weekend, but for an unaccountable role that racks up possessions he only had ~ 380 metres gained. For comparison Martin had ~ 529 and Daicos has averaged > 400 for each of his first two seasons. McGrath had 619.

You really need to be cutting the opposition up if you're playing the role.

We offered him a year, I believe as a rookie. So we didn't dump him but weren't desperate to keep him either.

He was 'fine' for the Hawks on the weekend, but for an unaccountable role that racks up possessions he only had ~ 380 metres gained. For comparison Martin had ~ 529 and Daicos has averaged > 400 for each of his first two seasons. McGrath had 619.

You really need to be cutting the opposition up if you're playing the role.
To be fair, if they're trialling Mass in that role then it's worth remembering where he's come from and that it's Rd1 at a new club, and you're comparing him to two of the best in the game. He could impve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

200.gif

How long will they persist with him off HB?
I reckon at least another 3-4 weeks. Won’t throw in the towel after 2 games

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back