AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

He was shocking in first quarter but midway through 2nd a switch flicked and he really backed himself and took really aggressive (but correct) options.
Dont let the first quarter cloud what was a really good game overall and you have to be happy with his resolve to come back from that instead of going into his shell.

Don't love him as a half back I'll be honest, but going by Scott's presser, he ain't going back to the wing anytime soon. Would much rather him as the playmaker type bringing the ball inside 50

He was shocking in first quarter but midway through 2nd a switch flicked and he really backed himself and took really aggressive (but correct) options.
Dont let the first quarter cloud what was a really good game overall and you have to be happy with his resolve to come back from that instead of going into his shell.
Full credit to him for not dropping his head or going into his shell because a lot of players would have dropped their bundle after his 1st Q blunders, that tells me has beleif in his own ability.

I'd still have him on a wing though...

So does anyone think he is a failed experiment at half back?
He’s just had 44 touches in his 3rd game playing a new role….made a few blues with ball in hand but clear as day can see what they are trying to do and can see clear progress towards nailing the role.

Defensively…..he’s vulnerable at times but he’s not really there to defend either. Will benefit from the return of Ridley and Reid who can really close space (unlike Heppell and Laverde) and clean up.

One thing he has to fix - half hearted aerial efforts. Commit to the ball and go with two hands son!

He’s just had 44 touches in his 3rd game playing a new role….made a few blues with ball in hand but clear as day can see what they are trying to do and can see clear progress towards nailing the role.

Defensively…..he’s vulnerable at times but he’s not really there to defend either. Will benefit from the return of Ridley and Reid who can really close space (unlike Heppell and Laverde) and clean up.

One thing he has to fix - half hearted aerial efforts. Commit to the ball and go with two hands son!
Or just punch the ball so they don't mark it

I don't see how you can look at that game as anything other than a massive success. He had the highest time on ground other than 3 KPPs AND had the ball a ridiculous amount. The only reason he had so many touches is because he was running his ass off to get them.

Yes he turned the ball over badly a few times but he setup just as many goals. He will get better at taking the hard kicks as he settles more into it. But that game was an absolutely insane gut running effort from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough sample size yet, but I currently miss the old Martin a lot more.

But whoever is suggesting Kelly could be a distributor… yikes
I hear you.
I don't see how you can look at that game as anything other than a massive success. He had the highest time on ground other than 3 KPPs AND had the ball a ridiculous amount. The only reason he had so many touches is because he was running his ass off to get them.

Yes he turned the ball over badly a few times but he setup just as many goals. He will get better at taking the hard kicks as he settles more into it. But that game was an absolutely insane gut running effort from him.
I’m glad someone stated this. I felt the same way and was surprised by the underwhelming response he got. Interesting that Brad highlighted his defensive capabilities. We are so lucky to have him.

44 disposals but many were ineffective, with way too many being downright horrible.

Maybe I'm holding him to the high standard he set last year and perhaps it's a little unfair given his new role, but he is nowhere near as effective by foot this year. I'm still waiting for the Martin we know to come back. I envisaged a Daicos-style distributor and I hope he becomes that.

Yeah I was fence sitting a bit re: the hb role but in spite of the turnovers yesterday, I saw enough to recognise what he could be back there. Some of his return kicks during the second half were incisive. If he finds that much ball and the kicking from the back half improves, he becomes a mad weapon for multiple parts of the ground.

He - and a lot of other players - need to learn that not every possession has to be the corridor game breaking kick.

I like the willingness to take the game on, but the balance isn’t there at the moment. He is a great player and I’m fine with him staying in defence.
Yep. Agreed. Just finding the mark and gaining metres is enough until the corridor opportunity presents itself.

Do not care that they are trying something new with him. We are a side that needs to try new stuff. He is not going to lose his ability to play on the wing as he is basically playing wing one slot back. If he learns a bit more about defending then at least he can be a better winger if they do not go on with the half back role. 3 games is way too early to be judging anything and him playing half back and doing something different is not going to cost us a premiership this year.

Is horrible defending aerial or helping out 3rd man up. But ideally for me a wingman has some ability to get back and cover anyway so why not try it until preferred users are ready.

Not many players can use the ball and rack up the touches like him. I'd keep him there until Ridley back or roberts gets a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back