AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

it's my view we should be looking to move him to a (and don't hate me for the parlance) a 'gryan miers role'. that is, a forward half 'distributor' (again sorry). when ridley's back we add his kicking to redman's and mcgrath's and i think that's plenty with the potential that cox could start pulling off his bullets from the d50 as well.

what we really need is a player who works front half angles and hits leading players. i think martin is almost perfect for it.

He absolutely tries to get way to cute with it, two out of bounds on the full in a row? I don't think I can remember anyone doing that before. He is trying to pinpoint some very difficult kicks and in the end it puts pressure on the receiver, he does some great things and his overall contribution negates most turnovers but I reckon he should choose the safer option more often.

This is part of the reason why I said in the autopsy thread I don’t think we are playing that well.

He’s worked out when to explore up field and when to stay at home and he’s getting great coverage from Kelly in particular but he hasn’t worked out when to try and hit the difficult angled kick and when to play it safe. I would argue not even close.

He’s second in the AFL for turnovers, once he really works it out and strikes a balance the back half turnovers that really hurt us will drop and then we’re really cooking with gas.

This is part of the reason why I said in the autopsy thread I don’t think we are playing that well.
How'd that comment go down for you?

it's my view we should be looking to move him to a (and don't hate me for the parlance) a 'gryan miers role'. that is, a forward half 'distributor' (again sorry). when ridley's back we add his kicking to redman's and mcgrath's and i think that's plenty with the potential that cox could start pulling off his bullets from the d50 as well.

what we really need is a player who works front half angles and hits leading players. i think martin is almost perfect for it.
It’s probably what ADJ should be doing.

I was there for him and wore a portion of the backlash. I’ve got your back Zach Package

North Carolina Dance GIF by UNC Tar Heels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s worked out when to explore up field and when to stay at home and he’s getting great coverage from Kelly in particular but he hasn’t worked out when to try and hit the difficult angled kick and when to play it safe. I would argue not even close.

He’s second in the AFL for turnovers, once he really works it out and strikes a balance the back half turnovers that really hurt us will drop and then we’re really cooking with gas.
Its hard to gauge because he's also top 3 in the AFL for disposals at the moment and he was easily leader for meters gained last couple of matches. Just has to hone it in.

Good grief. He was - and is, almost always - superb.

I’ve been watching the Bombers since the 1970s, and I’m struggling to think of too many of our players who have been better users off half back in that time.

Plus which he’s got great running power, excellent football nous, and he gets himself involved positively in almost all parts of the ground in the course of most games.

Including on the basis of how we recruited him from the football scrapheap … his performance to date with Essendon and his whole story is outstanding.
I love NM

But are you mainly referring to the one where he accidentally dribbled the ball 40m along the ground leading to a goal

Or the two consecutive out on the fulls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back