AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

That is the issue short term for sure.

What's the plus minus for goals there atm? I don't think he's heavily moving the gauge either way.

I think the plus minus of goals playing forward half is higher.

Say we debut Roberts back there. Is Roberts at half back better than the alternative to Martin (Guelfi/Menzie/Hind) at half forward?

What's the plus minus for goals there atm? I don't think he's heavily moving the gauge either way.

I think the plus minus of goals playing forward half is higher.

Say we debut Roberts back there. Is Roberts at half back better than the alternative to Martin (Guelfi/Menzie/Hind) at half forward?
Given where we are at I am not really looking at plus / minus goals given the two games we lost would have had not changed a lot with him on the wing or Forward. One thing I will say is the wings have been playing a lot more of a defensive role so it may be a forward role. So far it has not cost us anything to have a look at him at half back to see if he can solve a problem we have. We know he can play wing / half forward. We are 4-2-1 while experimenting with him back. I do not see his future as full time half back but I do not mind the coach has looked at it. My view is he will be a better all round player for the experience.

Given where we are at I am not really looking at plus / minus goals given the two games we lost would have had not changed a lot with him on the wing or Forward. One thing I will say is the wings have been playing a lot more of a defensive role so it may be a forward role. So far it has not cost us anything to have a look at him at half back to see if he can solve a problem we have. We know he can play wing / half forward. We are 4-2-1 while experimenting with him back. I do not see his future as full time half back but I do not mind the coach has looked at it. My view is he will be a better all round player for the experience.
Maybe he plays like the old utility and follows the action.

Maybe he plays like the old utility and follows the action.
There was talk about him playing some midfield time at some stage/

Not sure how you fit Martin into a forward line with Stringer, Langford and Jones. I'm all for his rotational movement but I wouldn't set him down at half forward just yet.

Last year he was killing it as a winger before moved to half forward and he fell away badly. I think his best footy is a winger pushing forward and sneaking marks just inside 50, rather than a deep lying forward or a lead up forward.

I do wonder whether his move to HB has been to the detriment of Redman, who perhaps has less leeway to run and gun and now marks the 5th forward instead of the 6th. So if Redman can find his old form then frees up Martin to return to the wing or trialled through the centre.

Remember when he was being played off a forward flank for a period last season and everyone was wondering why his impact had dropped away?

His move to the flank also corresponded with when the team dropped away. Hard to tell whether it’s correlation or causation

This IMO, give him the license to roam. Has the tank, skills and smarts to make it work.
I thought at the game he was full time forward in last quarter but rewatching it yesterday I noticed he was involved in a lot of the scrambling defensive efforts in last 10 min or so too.
I wonder if it was an instruction from coaching team after last pies goal or if he made call himself.

I thought at the game he was full time forward in last quarter but rewatching it yesterday I noticed he was involved in a lot of the scrambling defensive efforts in last 10 min or so too.
I wonder if it was an instruction from coaching team after last pies goal or if he made call himself.

He started some centre bounces from half forward in the last, but I suspect it was a bit of moving him around to try to create something to change the flow of the game.

Meanwhile we kicked 6-0 in the first with him off a HBF.

He’s just a good player, wherever he goes.

David king yesterday unusually had an insightful comment.
Something like Brad is moving the magnets around a bit to see what works and what doesn’t. Still figuring it all out. Martin fits into this category.
I kind of agree. Wouldn’t surprise me if he moves back into the wing in time.

He started some centre bounces from half forward in the last, but I suspect it was a bit of moving him around to try to create something to change the flow of the game.

Meanwhile we kicked 6-0 in the first with him off a HBF.

He’s just a good player, wherever he goes.
Its insane how many clutch moments he has had last three rounds, regardless of where he is playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really liked the way we used him on ANZAC day. Him playing down back and then having the option of someone like Hind as the sub let us swing him forward when needed but still had his ball use from the back half for most of the game.
It lets us really use his versatility to maximum impact.

I'm aware a lot of people would be happy if we just played him forward or wing the whole game but I do like the balance with him down back mostly - at least til Roberts and Lual come on as players.

As soon as Ridley back I would move Martin forward. With our clearance dominance atm he could snag 4 a game.

Also, with the much improved performance of McGrath it is not as critical IMO.

One of our big deficiencies is conversion % for forward entries. Martin could fix it. Goals are the name of the game, time to get him forward.
Haven’t seen this before - is Martin backline reactive due to Ridley out? Makes sense.

This IMO, give him the license to roam. Has the tank, skills and smarts to make it work.
This seems right.
Give him the best opportunity to get the ball and use his game breaking skills.

BTW - tonight I thought he took defensive step forward. Intercepted and influenced defensively whilst still using his weapons driving forward.

Haven’t seen this before - is Martin backline reactive due to Ridley out? Makes sense.
I think that is a good question. It’s not like Rids played a lot of match sim in the preseason. You may be spot on. Rids may come back Martin may move forward and Redders takes Martin’s role?

I’m fascinated to see the dynamics when Rids comes back as I think a fully fit Reid replaces Laverde. It’s Martin and Redmans position that’s intrigues me more with a fit Ridley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back