Delisted #37: Sean Gregory

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlikely to be retained from what I've heard.

Depends on the definition of "good". Spider Burton is about as close as I can recall in the modern era.

Height:210 cm Weight:103 kg

I doubt Gregory could get to 103kg while carrying two 10kg dumbells.

Height:210 cm Weight:103 kg

I doubt Gregory could get to 103kg while carrying two 10kg dumbells.

True, but the weight of Burton's bones was probably 95kgs, then the rest would be internal organs and skin with a little bit of muscle thrown in. That would likely be at the end of his career too.

Having never seen Gregory in the flesh, how does he stack up in the skinny stakes compared to Fletcher circa 1993?

Has a project of any type come good? I'm struggling to think of any draftee since sheedy era that has spent a couple of years in the twos and gone on to be a regular senior contributor.

Feels like if our guys don't burst onto the scene they don't make it. Bring back knights?

Something I've been thinking about for some time....Think I'd like us to stop drafting guys this skinny, I'm coming to think that a naturally strong body is a big part of a lasting AFL career. Wary of the ability to bulk guys up and retain their athleticism, particularly midfielders.

Jetta aside, reckon Swans look for naturally strong bodies with good running ability....Hannebery, Jack, McGlynn, McVeigh, Bird, Parker....all came in ready to go with strong bodies inside with the ability to run outside. Didn't need years of weights to get AFL ready. Z Merrett very much in this category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a really skinny tall ever come good? I'm thinking Gregory/Christian Bock level skinny.

He's not your average young skinny tall though (not that he's an outstanding footballer or anything yet). Has a trick that you can't teach with his legspeed, which I think sets him apart from all the other project talls that we've had in the part 10 years or so.

You keep going on about Cam O'Shea, I think Gregory could be a similar sort of player if we give him the chance

I'd say that he could get to a Ceglar/Jack Gunston build.

He's 20 years old and considerably thicker than he was last year.

At 76kg he has 8kg to go to match Gunston for weight.

Last edited:
He's not your average young skinny tall though (not that he's an outstanding footballer or anything yet). Has a trick that you can't teach with his legspeed, which I think sets him apart from all the other project talls that we've had in the part 10 years or so.

You keep going on about Cam O'Shea, I think Gregory could be a similar sort of player if we give him the chance

That's a really interesting call. If Gregory is capable of playing off a back flank, you'd think he'd be miles away from a delisting conversation at his height.

I'd say that he could get to a Ceglar/Jack Gunston build.

He's 20 years old and considerably thicker than he was last year.

At 76kg he has 8kg to go to match Gunston for weight.
He's 76kg now? He was 72kg when he was drafted, was he not?

Would have thought he's put on more than 4kg in two years. He definitely looks thicker, much thicker, than he did in late 2012.

Is 83 kg now. I'd like to know who kakkle has heard 'it' from.
That sounds more believable to me.

Relative to what he looked like two years ago, I would have casually guessed that he'd added around 10kg to his frame. And if 83 is right, he's added 11.

That's a really interesting call. If Gregory is capable of playing off a back flank, you'd think he'd be miles away from a delisting conversation at his height.

Maybe not as a genuine rebounding defender (although he's not Prestigiacomo with ball in hand or anything like that, just competent enough) but I reckon he's the most natural successor to Fletcher's 'play on anyone' role we're going to find.

He's played on guys ranging from Kyle Martin to Sam Grimley at VFL level and done enough to justify another contract in my book.

We're light on for key backs as it is, so if they are indeed not going to renew him it's seemingly a big vote of confidence for Steiny, and as good as confirmation that Fletcher is going on as well.

My source is close to Sean himself. That's the general feeling Sean got from his exit interview. Hasn't been told anything yet.

I wouldn't be phased either way. Delist him, and retain him as a rookie, or just delist him. Should not be taking up a senior spot IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #37: Sean Gregory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back