Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is he wasn't competing for the ball in the marking contest, which resulted in uncontested intercept marks being taken. Not all of then were his fault but there were a few especially in the first half. Which is why many were calling for him to be subbed out at half time.

As mentioned I'm not writing him off or saying he'll make it, but the 2nd half of the season is going to be big for a lot of fringe players and Noah needs to get himself sorted or he'll be playing state league footy in 2025.
As I said, I thought some of those competing criticisms were a bit harsh. Reading Big footy criticism during the game is often pretty harsh compared to when you see it on the replay. I thought he outpointed more than not competing. As to barracouta's criticism of not chasing, that might be a fairer criticism. Also Willo's critique of finding it hard to compete when we are not in control of the game is also fair. Interesting to see how he responds if he gets a chance. The forward pocket in a game where the ball does not come in very often is the hardest place to play.

Graham has played in 2 Grand Finals, he was our 3rd highest rated player in one and 10th highest rated player in the other.
And when was his last grand final? Nearly 4 years ago... much can change in that time and with Jack he has regressed and his body is declining faster and faster each season. He was pick 53 we have gotten the most out of him you could imagine. Plus his already played over 100 games for us so time to move on imo

Speed around the ball was the glaring difference between the two teams on Saturday. I'm scared to say that the most dynamic mid we have atm is T Dow. He at least moves at pace to create seperation.
Gotta also highlight the hawks desperation to defend as well seemed almost every 2nd kick one of our players had was either spoiled directly or under massive pressure

Everyone melting over Cumbo having a mare (his last month has been decent) - even big Lunch couldn't get his hands on the ball inside 50.

Says far more about the delivery inside 50 than one players individual efforts.

I was at the game and probably need to watch the replay, but quite often Cumbo was the player closest goal, parked in the center of the ground and the Hawks loose defender floating not far away. I saw multiple blast kicks from D50 that basically targeted their loose player.
Pretty tough to stop this sort of play.

Gotta also highlight the hawks desperation to defend as well seemed almost every 2nd kick one of our players had was either spoiled directly or under massive pressure
Although par for the course on here, and as much as it pains me to say it, but the disrespect shown the Hawks on here in the lead up to Saturday on these threads was staggering.
Either most don’t watch any footy outside of us, or just bag the opposition to go along with the crowd, but they have been playing some impressive football and their pressure has been off the charts, as it was again on Saturday.
I remember when it was us bringing that relentless pressure.

Although par for the course on here, and as much as it pains me to say it, but the disrespect shown the Hawks on here in the lead up to Saturday on these threads was staggering.
Either most don’t watch any footy outside of us, or just bag the opposition to go along with the crowd, but they have been playing some impressive football and their pressure has been off the charts, as it was again on Saturday.
I remember when it was us bringing that relentless pressure.
Absolutely over the past 5 or so weeks the hawks have absolutely been bringing the heat even in the games they lost
Probably one of if not the most in form team in the comp right now

Playing better footy than pretty much every team in the top 4

It’s a credit to Mitchell who stuck to his guns and made some list decisions that were scrutinised heavily

king cum stinking it up

can always guarantee his direct opponent will take some ridiculous amount of intercept marks each week

CUMBERSQUAT REIGNS SUPREME

If you watch him live, he looks even more lost. Teammates are always telling him where to go, or who to man up on.
Two things stood out for me.
One I think in the second quarter when he was looking over at Lynch whilst he was running up the ground pointing and yelling whilst Lynch just sort of shook his head.
But the main one and this isn’t just Cumberland related was Dusty at half time he was livid.
He went up to Lynch as if to say WTF is going on? Lynch and he both had a chat as if to say “what the **** do we do?” Then he went over to Vlastuin and again they both just had a chat that looked like “we are ****ed!”
Think they know exactly how much work is ahead of us!

Let’s pull Bartlett out of retirement as he played in five premierships and was BOG in the 80 GF using your logic. Graham’s last four seasons have been suburban football level, but hey he covers millions of kilometres chasing.
Graham chases a lot, just can’t catch em

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham chases a lot, just can’t catch em
He’s pretty busted up the poor bugger.
I’ll always love and respect him for getting the absolute most out of himself, and I will never, ever have more love and respect for a tiger than Jack in the 2019 Prelim.
That was a legendary tiger night and performance.

Everyone melting over Cumbo having a mare (his last month has been decent) - even big Lunch couldn't get his hands on the ball inside 50.

I was at the game and probably need to watch the replay, but quite often Cumbo was the player closest goal, parked in the center of the ground and the Hawks loose defender floating not far away. I saw multiple blast kicks from D50 that basically targeted their loose player.
unfortunately its not as easy to see the game overall than it is to focus on just one player.
All our players struggled at CHF vs the hawks, they were more mobile, ran back to cover and we seemed out maned at nearly every marking contest. Cumbo did lose a couple of chanced where he couldve and shouldve spoilt, but it was an off night for nearly all our team.

Had an absolute mare but he wasn't alone. Obvious statement but he's a confidence player...if we're not in the game then he has no ability to influence. In a competitive team I think he has it in him to be a handy footballer, but when the going is tough he does seem to struggle to force his way into the game.
He's lucky Lefau did a knee or he wouldn't be getting a game now. Lefau will be the perfect player against these Scrimshaw types as he can match it with them in the air and on the ground and is a fierce competitor and can still be damaging on the scoreboard.
Cumbo isn't really the small pressure forward type either.
I just struggle to see where he fits in the forward line in the long term.

He’s pretty busted up the poor bugger.
I’ll always love and respect him for getting the absolute most out of himself, and I will never, ever have more love and respect for a tiger than Jack in the 2019 Prelim.
That was a legendary tiger night and performance.
Exactly RD
He slid down the draft because he is slow, we made hay with him at that selection, but I think the sun is no longer shining so time to move on, his deficiencies have caught up with him unfortunately.

king cum stinking it up

can always guarantee his direct opponent will take some ridiculous amount of intercept marks each week

CUMBERSQUAT REIGNS SUPREME
Well given he's 6ft and they are 6ft 4, that will happen won't it.

I don't understand the sarcasm (your next line) in regard to Cumberland. Most if not all 'pro' Cumberland posters have given him nothing better than a pass mark in any game this season, mostly below. Yet the 'anti' posters gloat. There is criticism of players on here all the time, but usually after we have had a good look at them over the years. Cumberland is just starting, treat him like any other young player. He will have good games, bad and plenty inbetween.

Well given he's 6ft and they are 6ft 4, that will happen won't it.

I don't understand the sarcasm (your next line) in regard to Cumberland. Most if not all 'pro' Cumberland posters have given him nothing better than a pass mark in any game this season, mostly below. Yet the 'anti' posters gloat. There is criticism of players on here all the time, but usually after we have had a good look at them over the years. Cumberland is just starting, treat him like any other young player. He will have good games, bad and plenty inbetween.

This is just not correct Grrr:

Cumberland is not just starting. He is a prime aged player who is well into his 5th year on the list. Our other players simply don't get caught out not competing in contests at anywhere near the frequency Cumberland does. If another player does it, it is an anomaly. Where Cumberland does it, it is part of a regular pattern of play for him, dropping out of contests and running towards goal before the ball has even looked like being won. This is death in AFL football, the opposition defender just grabs it and sets up a quality transition from defence to attack.

He is gonzo.

Happy for Cumbo to play every game until the end of the season - especially while we are GIFTING games to other more senior players based on past deeds - and then a well qualified decision on his future being made.
My inkling is it will be a NO on him continuing next year, but at least we can say we tried to make it work if he keeps playing.
Let's face it, we are not playing finals and we are not going anywhere on the ladder but down. Yes, I think North will eventually leapfrog us.
Same for Thomson Dow. We've come this far this year and the evidence is mounting that he's not up to it. And young Dow has less bullets in his holster or tricks than Cumbo.
Would play both over Graham, who's shown his best is four years in the past.

cumbo needs space to work with the ball

when we played with dimma style the ball came in quick and the defense had no time to set up

now we enter F50 so slow that he is getting caught in more 1 on 1s and losing most of them

imo cumbo probably suited dimma gameplan but just a shame he didnt play much after 2022

not like we have any others banging the door down. give him a few more games i reckon

This is just not correct Grrr:

Cumberland is not just starting. He is a prime aged player who is well into his 5th year on the list. Our other players simply don't get caught out not competing in contests at anywhere near the frequency Cumberland does. If another player does it, it is an anomaly. Where Cumberland does it, it is part of a regular pattern of play for him, dropping out of contests and running towards goal before the ball has even looked like being won. This is death in AFL football, the opposition defender just grabs it and sets up a quality transition from defence to attack.

He is gonzo.
Cumberland has played 30 games of VFL football in 4 years, that's 7.5 games per year.
He has played 23 game of AFL in 3 years, 8 per year. Same amount of VFL games as Dow, 8 less AFL games.
Dow is a young player in terms of his development.

He gets caught out competing against players who are intercept marking backman 4 inches taller than him. Go figure. His match ups are the equivalent of Balta matching him. Stewart, Ridley etc are stars, of course he is going to struggle against them. Has he things to learn, yes. Has he things to learn like running towards goal as you mention, yes, but all players with 23 games under their belt do.

If he stinks it up next week, off to the VFL. Simple. He kicked 3 the week before. So it goes for young forwards.

He had a mare, that happens with inexperienced players searching for consistency. The differences though between Lynch and Noah were that Lynch was playing his first game in 3 months and secondly Lynch still made an effort to at least contest for the ball, Noah hardly did.

Granted our entries into F50 weren't great, but that shouldn't excuse a lack of effort.

Noah should have known he had the +1 nearby as you only need to look around to see which opposition players are playing on a man and which ones aren't. Nobody is expecting Noah to be able to stop the +1 every time, but he should be at least competitive when the ball is in his immediate area and too often on Saturday that didn't happen and it's something that often happens with Noah when we're not controlling the game.

He had a mare, that happens with inexperienced players searching for consistency. The differences though between Lynch and Noah were that Lynch was playing his first game in 3 months and secondly Lynch still made an effort to at least contest for the ball, Noah hardly did.

Granted our entries into F50 weren't great, but that shouldn't excuse a lack of effort.

Noah should have known he had the +1 nearby as you only need to look around to see which opposition players are playing on a man and which ones aren't. Nobody is expecting Noah to be able to stop the +1 every time, but he should be at least competitive when the ball is in his immediate area and too often on Saturday that didn't happen and it's something that often happens with Noah when we're not controlling the game.
All fair points.
My point with the Lynch comparison was that one has played 20 odd games and the other has played 220.
Simply drawing to the fact one has far more experience and still couldn’t get near it.

I just hope at the end of the day, the gap between his best and worse reduces and we can make a player out of him yet. We’ve seen glimpses of how potent he could be, but not often enough.

I just don’t think the hate he cops when the whole team is down is fair.

cumbo needs space to work with the ball

when we played with dimma style the ball came in quick and the defense had no time to set up

now we enter F50 so slow that he is getting caught in more 1 on 1s and losing most of them

imo cumbo probably suited dimma gameplan but just a shame he didnt play much after 2022

not like we have any others banging the door down. give him a few more games i reckon
Combos career started in the abscence of Dusty, injury to Graham just before finals & injury to Prestia late 22
roll round 2023 he'd lost his spot to Graham, a fit Prestia played half fwd. Hopper rotating fwd & Mansell, Bolton & MRJ.

Looks like Yze is following Dimma, Mini, 3 small fwds, 2 KPFs & Dusty....and didn't include Cumbo. Yze has him as injury depth for MRJ and I reckon Hopper/Prestia IN will push Baker fwd & Combo out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back