Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Harry. Just want to make this clear, I have no personal hate for Cumberland. Yes I’ve called him a spud, joke of a footballer etc etc but it’s not personal. If you go back through RCD posts you’ll see I also called him out early and made similar comments. If I see a player who has had opportunity but not delivered and especially in the case of Cumbo and RCD, then I call it out. I’m not a fanboy who declares a player as good early and then refuses to accept that they made a bad call. My mind was there to be changed by performance and that was certainly not forthcoming from Cumbo. I will continue to say he should be off the list, he’s not up to it etc. you are trying to support your position by declaring me a hater but that’s bullshit.
1728018511285.jpeg

IMG_0711.jpeg

Noah Cumberland (Richmond)​

“For whatever reason he has not been able to cement his spot in that Richmond forward line,” Brown said on AFL Trade Radio.

“He has X-factor galore, he’s good above his head, he can kick a fantastic goal. He’s got a bag of five against Brisbane in 2022. He has kicked multiple goals on 10 occasions (from 25 career games).

“The knock on him is that he doesn’t necessarily always play to a forward structure. He plays on instinct, but so did Cyril Rioli and Buddy Franklin and some of these guys. That’s not a comparison on ability either.

“I think Noah Cumberland would be a great fit at another club. He could be a guy who slots in, plays every weeks and kicks you his two goals. He creates opportunities and is a tough match-up.

“He should be look to leave because if he can’t get a game at Richmond when they had a year like they had… he only played seven games.”

Link here

View attachment 2138414

“For whatever reason he has not been able to cement his spot in that Richmond forward line,” Brown said on AFL Trade Radio.

“He has X-factor galore, he’s good above his head, he can kick a fantastic goal. He’s got a bag of five against Brisbane in 2022. He has kicked multiple goals on 10 occasions (from 25 career games).

“The knock on him is that he doesn’t necessarily always play to a forward structure. He plays on instinct, but so did Cyril Rioli and Buddy Franklin and some of these guys. That’s not a comparison on ability either.

“I think Noah Cumberland would be a great fit at another club. He could be a guy who slots in, plays every weeks and kicks you his two goals. He creates opportunities and is a tough match-up.

“He should be look to leave because if he can’t get a game at Richmond when they had a year like they had… he only played seven games.”

Link here
agreed

View attachment 2138414

Link here

Comparing him to Cyril Rioli and Buddy Franklin is the funniest thing I’ve read in years

Comparing him to Cyril Rioli and Buddy Franklin is the funniest thing I’ve read in years
A bit selective, he only mentioned that they don't adhere to structures very well, which is pretty much what everyone from the coaches to supporters have been saying. He prefaced it by saying nothing to do with similar ability because he know people would come at him.

A bit selective, he only mentioned that they don't adhere to structures very well, which is pretty much what everyone from the coaches to supporters have been saying. He prefaced it by saying nothing to do with similar ability because he know people would come at him.

Then compare him to a spud that doesn’t do it and got delisted

Bloke is a natural goalkicker IMO who had his instinct coached out of him in favour of becoming a 'defensive forward'.

Anyone at the Brisbane game could see he has talent. How he avoided a Brownlow vote that day is utterly beyond me.

Just play him forward and let him do what he wants. Bolton was allowed to do the same.

Our forward line in '25 is going to be dogshit anyway. Lynch will get injured again 100%. Lefau out for half the year. No Bolton. No Dusty.

Leaves us with a forward line of guys like Kosi, Bauer, Gray, MRJ, Smith/Campbell etc. We will be comfortably worse than '24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloke is a natural goalkicker IMO who had his instinct coached out of him in favour of becoming a 'defensive forward'.

Anyone at the Brisbane game could see he has talent. How he avoided a Brownlow vote that day is utterly beyond me.

Just play him forward and let him do what he wants. Bolton was allowed to do the same.

Our forward line in '25 is going to be dogshit anyway. Lynch will get injured again 100%. Lefau out for half the year. No Bolton. No Dusty.

Leaves us with a forward line of guys like Kosi, Bauer, Gray, MRJ, Smith/Campbell etc. We will be comfortably worse than '24.
He is a forward that has had many chances to contribute and failed.

Cumberland gets more get out of jail free cards then any player (not loved, wrong position, coaching), he is a professional who is paid very well.

It is the same for any employee you either adapt or find another vocation.

He is a forward that has had many chances to contribute and failed.

Cumberland gets more get out of jail free cards then any player (not loved, wrong position, coaching), he is a professional who is paid very well.

It is the same for any employee you either adapt or find another vocation.

Agree to disagree.

I don't think he is given half the opportunities that Dow is, who is significantly more underwhelming and for all his exposure has never torn a game open IMO.

The Brisbane game is an example of how Cumberland can actually damage an opponent, something I have never seen Dow do, ever.

And yes I believe he has had his instinct coached out of him unlike Bolton who was too good to be tapped on the shoulder sometimes for being selfish and undisciplined.

Also don't think Cumberland would be on big money?

Agree to disagree.

I don't think he is given half the opportunities that Dow is, who is significantly more underwhelming and for all his exposure has never torn a game open IMO.

The Brisbane game is an example of how Cumberland can actually damage an opponent, something I have never seen Dow do, ever.

And yes I believe he has had his instinct coached out of him unlike Bolton who was too good to be tapped on the shoulder sometimes for being selfish and undisciplined.

For players to make it in the AFL they need to fit within teams attacking and defensive structures. All players. To say that coaching players to do this is coachig their instictive talents out of them is something like saying we shouldn't teach kids to handball because it might cause them to forget how to kick. To be a good enough player to play AFL, you need to be able to do everything the team requires, all within one performance. Cumberland has shown so far he is not good enough to do this. If he is retained it is simply because Richmond doesn't want to make any more than the 8 or so list changes they are already compelled to make.

Cumbo would be a great gamble for the Hawks. Freedom and flair is their mantra inside f50

It may be their mantra inside 50, but it is not their only mantra. Their forwards are expected to pressure, defend, guard space, win contests, and convert opportunities into goals, just like any other teams forwards.

It may be their mantra inside 50, but it is not their only mantra. Their forwards are expected to pressure, defend, guard space, win contests, and convert opportunities into goals, just like any other teams forwards.
Like I said homie, a gamble.

Agree to disagree.

unless the fwds coach or Carracella really has some new plan for the fwd & Noah in the absence of Dusty & Shai. there's no need for Cumbo.
I hope we go 3 KPFs. Bauer KPF 3 already.

Yze year 1 had Dow starting mid from round zero. Cumbo ain't getting games until injury and then didn't hold his spot. Yze loves Kmac & had him playing forward in games.
Surprised Kmac wasn't resigned.
Dow needs 2 years ~ I reckon he's delisted & rerookied.
C & C delisted, country footy awaits.

For players to make it in the AFL they need to fit within teams attacking and defensive structures. All players. To say that coaching players to do this is coachig their instictive talents out of them is something like saying we shouldn't teach kids to handball because it might cause them to forget how to kick. To be a good enough player to play AFL, you need to be able to do everything the team requires, all within one performance. Cumberland has shown so far he is not good enough to do this. If he is retained it is simply because Richmond doesn't want to make any more than the 8 or so list changes they are already compelled to make.

Don't agree.

We've seen plenty of players let off the hook despite not contributing defensively. Look at Dusty for example. No defensive pressure really for most of the last 3-5 years, but still an important attacking/midfield option.

Guys who don't have that ceiling like Cumberland and Castagna are coached to play defensive roles and sometimes I think that comes at the expense of their forward instincts.

Just my assessment!

unless the fwds coach or Carracella really has some new plan for the fwd & Noah in the absence of Dusty & Shai. there's no need for Cumbo.
I hope we go 3 KPFs. Bauer KPF 3 already.

Yze year 1 had Dow starting mid from round zero. Cumbo ain't getting games until injury and then didn't hold his spot. Yze loves Kmac & had him playing forward in games.
Surprised Kmac wasn't resigned.
Dow needs 2 years ~ I reckon he's delisted & rerookied.
C & C delisted, country footy awaits.

I'm 50-50 on Cumberland being either de-listed or re-signed. If he's playing for us in 2025 I'd like to see him given more freedom to just kick goals however he sees fit.

Ultimately he may have had that brief purple patch and I could be wrong, but I think he's not been managed very well.

Don't agree.

We've seen plenty of players let off the hook despite not contributing defensively. Look at Dusty for example. No defensive pressure really for most of the last 3-5 years, but still an important attacking/midfield option.

Guys who don't have that ceiling like Cumberland and Castagna are coached to play defensive roles and sometimes I think that comes at the expense of their forward instincts.

Just my assessment!

Cumby has 4 hard ball gets in his last 16 AFL matches at average 0.25 per game. Jaidyn Stenpheson averages almost 3 times as many as that across his last 3 seasons. Dusty in his last decet season(2023) was winning 2.9 per game.

As to that, Dusty won his offensive 1 v 1's at the highest rate ever recorded in the AFL. And convernted that into goals like a precision insrument. Cumby is nowhere near on that level, so has to have a greater defensive focus. Dusty robbed himself of defensive statistics by simply winning so may contests. In any event, he played the role the team wanted him to play defensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back