Player Watch #39: Finnbar 'Moose' Maley

Remove this Banner Ad

In one of the preseason games this year (against Carlton I think) he took somewhere around 10 or 11 marks, more than half of them contested. Heaps of potential. If he can get consistency into his game and play something akin to that one pre-season game, and kick goals, and pinch hit in the ruck, he could find himself as a regular in the senior side before too long. Sensible list management to have a look at him for another year. Anything is possible with this guy.
Of they persisted with edwards for as long as they did this was a no brainer.

In one of the preseason games this year (against Carlton I think) he took somewhere around 10 or 11 marks, more than half of them contested. Heaps of potential. If he can get consistency into his game and play something akin to that one pre-season game, and kick goals, and pinch hit in the ruck, he could find himself as a regular in the senior side before too long. Sensible list management to have a look at him for another year. Anything is possible with this guy.
He did it in an official vfl game against Carlton’s vfl side in round 2.

21 disposals, 13 marks (at least 7 contested) and kicked 2.3 (including an oob).

His fitness and strength grew throughout the year, but he still needs to improve both this preseason. Some work on his goal kicking is also needed, but he is good enough to take teakle’s spot. Just need a preseason bag or two.

He did it in an official vfl game against Carlton’s vfl side in round 2.

21 disposals, 13 marks (at least 7 contested) and kicked 2.3 (including an oob).

His fitness and strength grew throughout the year, but he still needs to improve both this preseason. Some work on his goal kicking is also needed, but he is good enough to take teakle’s spot. Just need a preseason bag or two.
It's a bold comparison but if it all comes together for Finnbar he has the potential to be Jarrad Waite 2.0

It's a bold comparison but if it all comes together for Finnbar he has the potential to be Jarrad Waite 2.0
A bit different in style, but a fair comparison. Waite had a bit more athleticism and a better leap, while Finbar’s marks tend to stick more.

A bit different in style, but a fair comparison. Waite had a bit more athleticism and a better leap, while Finbar’s marks tend to stick more.
Yes definitely different players the comparison was more that Finnbar could have same X factor / impact that Waite did for us in the forward line.

Yes definitely different players the comparison was more that Finnbar could have same X factor / impact that Waite did for us in the forward line.
I have been waiting a genuine contested marking forward since Waite/Petrie.

Ooh steady son.

Leap and marking.. maybe.

Ground ball agility, kicking, footy IQ - will never get close.

Could still develop into a very good player but I don't think he'll ever get near Waite. Sorry:(.

Hopefully he could become a corey mckernan type impact ruckman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ooh steady son.

Leap and marking.. maybe.

Ground ball agility, kicking, footy IQ - will never get close.

Could still develop into a very good player but I don't think he'll ever get near Waite. Sorry:(.
I clarified in another post it wasn’t a like for like comparison more that if everything clicked for Finnbar, and that’s a big IF, he could potentially have a similar X factor / impact that Waite did for us in the forward line.

I’m by no means suggesting he’d put up the stats as Waite more that our current forward set up is somewhat dull, except for the occasional Paul Curtis highlights, could Finnbar be the one that takes the big hangers and kick 1 or 2 goals. It was more about the excitement he might bring.

Will be better than Jack Darling next season.

So I think for the moment, those of us that still want to see him on the list next year can all probably relax a little, too.

Almost forgot to come back and gloat about this.

hArNq4.gif

TOD vs. GR fight?

Heck yea.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Updated 'superior inside word' score:

TOD - 1
giantroo - 2467

Gaining fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #39: Finnbar 'Moose' Maley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back