Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting rucks with early picks is a mugs game just wait until we’re desperate and then pry out the best second stringer looking for more opportunities
We are desperate. Nank is no longer monstering the young rucks because those young rucks have all developed into rucks able to hold their own against him, and they are big. His no.1 strength is no longer a point of difference, so we need a natural ruckman asap.

We tried with Naismith as back-up and he looked miles off it in the short time he played. Ryan is backup only, although another year and he should improve, but we need a good one, and a big one. Good rucks are vital to a good side, sometimes they come out of nowhere like Meek, but a safer bet is the best young kid in the under age.

Is there ever a player you want to delist or move on?
Of the current list, Dow, Cumberland, probably Coulthard, possibly Sonsie next year but see how he goes.

I don't see how anybody could possibly think they are in a position to judge Colina. We have not seen him play past a few games off no prepration. If his back is stuffed, delist him obviously. If the prognosis is ok, then rookie on minimum wage for another year, why not?

Last edited:
I would rather the $200k we waste on this bloke go towards 1000 Digital Bricks.

Why do i get the feeling that despite the club having record long success, with record memberships, that financially - we are not doing well? So many of our appointments and decisions over the post covid era have felt and smelt cheap. Got to wonder if something with Punt Road Oval redevelopment has gone astray.

Why do i get the feeling that despite the club having record long success, with record memberships, that financially - we are not doing well? So many of our appointments and decisions over the post covid era have felt and smelt cheap. Got to wonder if something with Punt Road Oval redevelopment has gone astray.

I can confirm Mate Colina is NOT on our list due to us being in financial difficulty. What a weird connection to make.

Yes it’s the late 80’s to 2009 band aide logic going on where everything is done on the cheap in the FD and recruiting. That development has definitely been a major money pit as can be seen by the constant emails begging for money sent by the club.

I can confirm Mate Colina is NOT on our list due to us being in financial difficulty. What a weird connection to make.

Whats weird is you saw that as the most obvious correlation. Surely the fact that Mate Colina is even on our list as a name on our ruck depth chart, would suggest the club is being quite cheap?

Whats weird is you saw that as the most obvious correlation. Surely the fact that Mate Colina is even on our list as a name on our ruck depth chart, would suggest the club is being quite cheap?

You have lost the plot completely here. Colina's salary, whatever it is, fits within our total player payments cap. We are basically compelled to spend this amount on players, so what we save on one player we have to spend on another player somewhere along the line. The club cannot save money on players in order to pay for ground renovations, surely you realise this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys there’s a soft cap on football spending that the money for any redevelopment doesn’t include

Colina was a Cat B rookie so if anything it was the club spending more money then other clubs by actually having him on the list initially

Also the redevelopment hasn’t started yet so there won’t have actually been any large spends due to it yet

What a bizarre stupid thing to think. This is just stating something that’s demonstrably false in multiple ways and running with it. One of the most dangerous things about the internet (off topic but still)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Remove this Banner Ad

Back