Senior 39. Zach Guthrie (2017 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

I was curious about this part. Kingy mentioned it originally as part of the post game discussion and stated the SH had said there was a SC component and LTI component to the promotion.

I then tweeted them a please clarify that given we had a short senior list spot open that we would still need to consider LTI and SC?.
Kingy replied that SH has said there was a SC and LTI consideration to Rookie promotions, and the Zuthrie, while promising, was not currently considered for that.

Not that the kid is not doing treat things - but not yet.

I was surprised about the SC and LTI component - and didnt have time or character space to ask again...

GO Catters

He has NFI what he's on about. Have a look at James Rahilly's press conference on the Cats site - he said there's a spot available on the rookie list, can upgrade Zuthrie or any other rookie at any time.

Edit - I hope this clears it up, we can have 40 on the senior list, we currently have 39 so we can upgrade at any time. Taken straight from AFL.com.au.

IMG_2115.jpg

I have given him s**t about not being big enough to impact the finals - but he was good the other night.
not a star but stood under it, even applied a big tackle on Buddy and caused a spillage.

Probably the best toughest kid ive seen since Can Eardley came thru. Prob should get on the Zuthrie wagon (not that im not already on it lol)

Go Catters

I have given him s**t about not being big enough to impact the finals - but he was good the other night.
not a star but stood under it, even applied a big tackle on Buddy and caused a spillage.

Probably the best toughest kid ive seen since Can Eardley came thru. Prob should get on the Zuthrie wagon (not that im not already on it lol)

Go Catters

Give the kid a few summers in the gym and we will see how he looks physically. If we think that he is small now we need to take into account how much he has grown before being drafted. He was very small. He is sure to be elevated to the senior list as a senior AFL player.

Edit: from an earlier post.
Quote:
"Calder talent manager Ian Kyte said Guthrie had developed significantly since first coming on to the club’s radar as a 15-year-old.

He probably came to us at about 160cm and 50kg,” Kyte said. “He’s now 23cm taller and 20 kilos heavier. He was always a skilful player, but we just didn’t think he was ready to go through with the TAC Cup (last year).”

Kyte said Guthrie’s courage and skill by foot were his greatest strengths. “He could be a late developer,” he said. “Cam wasn’t a superstar at 15 or 16. As a 17-year-old he came on a lot; as an 18-year-old he stood out.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...p/news-story/c3913c27dbd092233d79b305fefd23f8

The above article was written in May 2016, so it is quite possible that Zach is around 187cm. He seems to have been in the middle of a growth spurt at the time of the writing of the article. Although I have nothing to confirm his dimensions.

Give the kid a few summers in the gym and we will see how he looks physically. If we think that he is small now we need to take into account how much he has grown before being drafted. He was very small. He is sure to be elevated to the senior list as a senior AFL player.

Edit: from an earlier post.
I think we will see significant improvement next season, and he may turn out to be the best of last year's drafting, yes, maybe even ahead of Parfitt. I like how he is so composed, reads the play, can take an overhead mark, he is overall a very neat package, and if he is near 78-80kgs next season then I'd expect him to play nearly every game barring no injuries. He didn't look anything special in the Calder U18s highlights package, but he polled votes in nearly every game he played for them that season, so he obviously has a footballer's brain.

I wonder if Zuthrie will hit 80kgs this pre-season??!?

Zuthrie deserves a cult status, defying the odds with his frame. Milburn Mk2.

Wish they'd stop considering selecting him so that the dumbed down masses would stop with the vitriol and just let him develop in the reserves.
He's undoubtedly trying his best just not yet equipped with the body for senior footy and this affects his confidence.

Doesn't have the confidence in his own strength and it translates to being timid.
Just play him for at least a year in the VFL. Nice to see he's doing extra gym sessions, shows he's got the commitment and determination to improve.

Updated for Senior Listing.

GO Catters

Is he still out of contract at end of season. Need to give him 3 yrs

Hes ooc and a free agent. But like jack henry (who is also FA this year) neither of them will leave while they have a brother on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes ooc and a free agent. But like jack henry (who is also FA this year) neither of them will leave while they have a brother on the list.
That's good to know. I think he's still getting better. Has actually put on more size than anyone thought possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back