3km time trial

Remove this Banner Ad

I find you can run a quicker time at footy training when you have blokes to set the pace and chase down. It's a bit tricker setting the pace on your own.

I recently read a book discussing whether the sub 2 hour marathon is possible. It was interesting to note a lot of marathons have pace setters, literally they will run a certain speed knowing they can't finish the race and drop off anywhere from 8-12km out from the finish line.

How do you blokes run without running out of breath after 500 metres?
My lungs must be tiny,probably the years when I played in cover bands in the smoking era.
I am 50 so it makes it hard.
I just do 100 body weight squats and situps and pushups,scared of gyms.
I do a 5km jog , at around 800 metres I start walking then do interval jog,walks till I'm back home.

I do a 5km jog , at around 800 metres I start walking then do interval jog,walks till I'm back home.

keep doing this but start taking walk breaks before you're knackered/out of breath. before you know it the walk breaks will get shorter and shorter and the jogging will get easier.
also, slow down.

Use some music or a podcast to take your mind off it - fatigue is a brain derived emotion, it's not your muscles - so getting you thinking about something else besides how tired this all makes you feel will be of help

And yes, slow right down

My lungs must be tiny,probably the years when I played in cover bands in the smoking era.

As the guys above point out, you're probably going faster than you need to.

A handy thing to keep in mind with running/getting fitter is the 'talk test'

Basically, it means go fast as you are able to while still being able to hold a light conversation (if you're by yourself, see if you can read street signs to yourself, recite the lyrics to "Oh We're From Tigerland", or whatever).

It doesn't matter what that pace is. If it's been a long time since you've exercised much and you're a bit older, this might be really slow. It may just be a slightly faster than normal walk. That's absolutely fine. You just want to be in a range where your heart rate's up, but you're not working too hard that you're forced to stop constantly.

Go for 30 minutes+ at that pace, 3 times a week, and you'll build up your aerobic fitness pretty nicely even just after a couple of months.

Alternatively, try downloading the "Couch to 5k" app for your phone. As the name suggests, it's designed to get completely unfit people to the point where they can run 5kms without stopping.

It does a bit of what you're doing now (alternating jogs with walks) combined with some longer, slow & steady stuff described above. In your first week, you alternate 1.5 minute jogs/walks for about 20 minutes total. By the end of week 5, you'll be able to jog for 20 minutes without stopping.

People have a lot of success with it, and it gives you a good solid structure. Might be worth a look.

Last edited:
Ok,I tried the slowing down a bit and had a better time of my breathing.

Tried the 50 jog to 100 steps walking.

My lungs are buggered lol.

Never smoked but struggle breathing.

I have got into a rhythm where I can breathe every five or six steps.

I've got my 2km treadmill run (0 incline) from 10:35 a month ago down to 9:20 today.

Hardly world record pace but I'm happy with the improvement.
Got this down to 8:57 in my last cardio session, decided I don't want to go any lower as it seems counterproductive to strength gains.

Will try to hover around 8:50-9:00

Completed my 2km again tonight, 4 weeks on from my last time trial.

I ran it in 7:25 so 24 seconds quicker. Very happy, I hope in another 4 weeks to get it down to 7:10.

Completed my 2km again tonight, 4 weeks on from my last time trial.

I ran it in 7:25 so 24 seconds quicker. Very happy, I hope in another 4 weeks to get it down to 7:10.
nice.
thats a massive improvement on an already decent time.
what sort of running did you do in that 4 weeks?

I did a lot of volume, pretty much ran every day. I had footy training Monday and Wednesday so those nights was a lot of short 100-400m runs.

The other nights I'd do anything from 4km-10km, and a sprint session on Sunday.

I also dropped 3kgs in those 4 weeks.

I upped the ante a little this morning, 21km run, in a time of 1:41:33 so around 4:50 mins per km.

Footy practice games start next week, so will will lower the volume and do some more repeat interval type running.

Have the long weekend of footy which means I will increase the volume again and back off again.

I'm 55yo and can sympathise with you but take it in small steps. Personally had a heart attack 2 years ago this March. Now I always struggle with the first km but once in the rhythm I can do an hour session and cover nearly 9 kms - it's not world breaking but have steadily worked up to it and will do more. Do a cycle ride next day of about 54kms in two hours. Our bodies adapt just don't go all out initially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I upped the ante a little this morning, 21km run, in a time of 1:41:33 so around 4:50 mins per km.

Footy practice games start next week, so will will lower the volume and do some more repeat interval type running.

Have the long weekend of footy which means I will increase the volume again and back off again.
21km at sub 5 min kms

hec9pgr.png
hec9pgr.png
hec9pgr.png

I'm 55yo and can sympathise with you but take it in small steps. Personally had a heart attack 2 years ago this March. Now I always struggle with the first km but once in the rhythm I can do an hour session and cover nearly 9 kms - it's not world breaking but have steadily worked up to it and will do more. Do a cycle ride next day of about 54kms in two hours. Our bodies adapt just don't go all out initially.
I'm not overly keen on running at 35, can't imagine what it would be like at 55.

How do you guys go about measuring out your distances when not on the track/oval? I've just used google maps but not entirely sure if that'd be too accurate

After a fair while off I got a 14:30 last week. I'm thinking that I'll drop a couple minutes off that pretty quickly though, before hopefully getting down sub 12mins

How do you guys go about measuring out your distances when not on the track/oval? I've just used google maps but not entirely sure if that'd be too accurate

After a fair while off I got a 14:30 last week. I'm thinking that I'll drop a couple minutes off that pretty quickly though, before hopefully getting down sub 12mins

Use mapmyrun.com/au

saj_21

Perfect! Thanks mate.

Got down to 13:44 tonight which is getting closer to what I think my true reading would be. Although my route is a touch under the 3km so I'll have to start at the neighbours mailbox from now on

saj_21

Perfect! Thanks mate.

Got down to 13:44 tonight which is getting closer to what I think my true reading would be. Although my route is a touch under the 3km so I'll have to start at the neighbours mailbox from now on
i find that online mapping services tend to overestimate distance a touch because they plot the route in the middle of the road whereas you'll be on the footpath/side of the road and generally cut the apex of the corner much closer. its not much but it adds up and of course it depends on how many turns there are.

nice running by the way and good luck chasing sub 12 :thumbsu:

Horses for courses. I'd happily knock out 2km at that pace. Never ran over about 13 km at any pace so 21km to me is daunting.

Yup, in high school I ran a sub-minute 400m, between 5-5:30 for 1500m, blew out to almost 15m for 3km and could barely finish a 5km lol
And this was all done when I was playing footy so not as though I was only sprinting

Remove this Banner Ad

3km time trial

Remove this Banner Ad

Back