3rd Tall Backman

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
With Mooney now out for this week, Haley a bit sus , we dead set need another tall backman this week to aviod draging our new young gun mark machine to the backline. Any ideas?
Egan ? looked as raw as blue steak last time but only games will fix that
Lonergan? Not sure he would be any better but he's got some talent.
Spencer? Like watching the Venus de Milo play football but one of the very few talls we have that might be able to match the strength of some the Port talls, and lets face it if the guy doesnt do something this year he will be gone like yesterday's sunset come delist time.
Lets at least give guys like Spencer and Lonergan a chance before flicking them

Turbocat said:
Spencer? Like watching the Venus de Milo play football but one of the very few talls we have that might be able to match the strength of some the Port talls, and lets face it if the guy doesnt do something this year he will be gone like yesterday's sunset come delist time.

No way, even if he plays out this year in the VFL, should gat another year given he is a KPP prospect and they need more time.. Lonergan may though.

nananana catman said:
No way, even if he plays out this year in the VFL, should gat another year given he is a KPP prospect and they need more time.. Lonergan may though.

Nana , from what Ive seen , Spencer has the least chance to adapting to modern football because he is just too slow. Maybe thats a tad harsh, straight line is probably OK but agility and balance would be in the lowest percentile in our club, on a par with King. Lonergan has more talent but is another light wieght. Considering H was taken in 2001 and Tom was 2002 he progress has been snail pace in comparison but as we are starting to see with H the wait is sometimes worth it. Both need to show they have something to offer by the seasons end because I can see us have a fairly big top again, at least 3 young kids(probably on ballers) to replenish our stocks plus Buckland, which means a Min 4 delists

apologise for that last post guys. I had something written but didn't like what I wrote so opted to delete the whole thing. only thing I will suggest is that we do not drop tenace for a lonergan or spencer!!

Have to agree can't play Spencer not only his pace is a problem but his delivery is also a question.
The VFL side has no real height across the half back, Callan and Sheringham are both small, Callan can handle a small backman, Sheringham showed on Saturday that he can't win a won on won situation, goes to ground to easy, the only other height is Buckland but I like the prospect of him as a winger as he looks like he can to run all day.
What about Haynes as another opition in the backline, has pace, strength

Turbocat said:
Nana , from what Ive seen , Spencer has the least chance to adapting to modern football because he is just too slow. Maybe thats a tad harsh, straight line is probably OK but agility and balance would be in the lowest percentile in our club, on a par with King. Lonergan has more talent but is another light wieght. Considering H was taken in 2001 and Tom was 2002 he progress has been snail pace in comparison but as we are starting to see with H the wait is sometimes worth it. Both need to show they have something to offer by the seasons end because I can see us have a fairly big top again, at least 3 young kids(probably on ballers) to replenish our stocks plus Buckland, which means a Min 4 delists

Agree with you 100% Turbo....the big fella is just too slow when it comes down to it :(

Jack-Packenham said:
No way. He is the biggest dud on the list.

Egan is the only option. Play him on the big ruckman - Lade/Primus

Its the Lade/Primus type forward that made me think that this would be one of the few teams that Spencer could a have chance against. Surely he couldn't be slower than a guy thats had multiple broken legs or alt multiple Knee reco's.Lonergan not a chance. Egan looks good body to body in the VFL but in the big time Im not so sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think you should be overly concerned about being undersized in defence. You are never going to have enough tall defenders to match up on Tredrea,Thurstans, White,Lade/Primus, so you can do what Carlton did and concede that you are undersized, but make up for this by bringing in extra runners to exploit our deficiency at the moment, which is through the midfield.
Out of curiosity how has Steven King coped with the new ruck situation?

Turbocat said:
Both need to show they have something to offer by the seasons end because I can see us have a fairly big top again, at least 3 young kids(probably on ballers) to replenish our stocks plus Buckland, which means a Min 4 delists

Rahilly, McCarthy, Chambers, Slade, Haynes. There's 5.

Thurley. 6 if doesn't prove himself this year.

Unwritten_Law said:

Rahilly - Yes
McC - Yes
Chambers - Yes

Slade and Haynes , i would not be throwing these guys away unless the are physically not up to it, they offer depth

Thurley - need to play in the middle in the VFL , not in the goals square. If this beyond him them yes he is under the hammer

Unwritten_Law said:

Just can't delist that many players unless in a position to adequately replace them. If you finish down the bottom and it's a draft with heaps of depth then yes but we should finish fairly high so won't be in that position.

Turbocat said:
Slade and Haynes , i would not be throwing these guys away unless the are physically not up to it, they offer depth

The list will go stale keeping players like those two. They offer us nothing going forward. Callan, Sando and Moons haven't played this year, and while Sando more than likely wont be around next year a Buckland or Sheringham will be. Slade is of no use now. Ditto Haynes. His behind Mackie and Gardiner, who themselves are in and out of the team, and slipping quickly behind Thurley. A first year draftee would provide sufficient depth.

cats56 said:
Just can't delist that many players unless in a position to adequately replace them. If you finish down the bottom and it's a draft with heaps of depth then yes but we should finish fairly high so won't be in that position.

3 ND selections (which is the minimum) and promote 2 rookies (we have a good bunch). Easily replace them.

Ah, I'm forgetting about retirements (der!). Keep Chambers on min wage for back up and have a ps pick.

With Sando and Riccardi both quite likely to retire, there's only need to find two more to go and all of McCarthy, Lonergan, Rahilly, Chambers, Thurley and even Haynes and Spencer need to move up a gear on previous years, plus Slade needs to show why we have stood by him for the last two years, otherwise we're wasting our time with them. And none of them will have any trade value.

In other words, it's quite likely there will be a surfeit of potential delistees to choose from and we will probably delist more than necessary.

Sando and Ricco don't take up spots on the list so we still have to find 3. I don't think Buckland is worth a spot on the list . I would definately keep Haynes. It is a shame Rahilly can't kick very well because he certainly runs hard ,is fast enough and no one can question his courage. At this early stage my 3 delistings would be McCarthy ,Chambers and Rahilly. With Thurly , Slade and Spencer having some work to do.
Back to the original topic if we bring someone tall in this week it has to be Egan although Lonergan showed a fair bit in the vfl.

Its a good situation really, kick out some deadwood, and use some high draft picks to bring in some good kids, or again look to trade an early one off for a better player. Easy way to improve if done correctly.

Remove this Banner Ad

3rd Tall Backman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back