Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin GOAT and King of Punt Rd - OFFICIALLY RETIRED

Remove this Banner Ad

He's no longer a Richmond player so he can do whatever he pleases.

However, in my time following this great club, I can find former hero's like David Cloke, Geoff Raines, Bryan Wood, etc. in my hearts depreciation schedule.

KB, Royce Hart, Francis Bourke, Dale Weightman, Matthew Richardson, etc. have not depreciated one bit.

Martin probably DGAF where he stands in my eyes, but I do.

I hate how people keep saying he owes us nothing, how about the truth? Most people would have been disappointed if he said he wanted to leave via free agency to the Suns at exit meeting instead of retiring, but hey at least it's better than behind the shadows & mirrors crap.

I am not buying this retirement backflip excuse especially when journo's & media ppl reported earlier that this would happen.
To me it's now looking like a fake retirement & reflects badly imo.

Can't wait to see Dusty in the GCS visor at training
If he lands as playa at the Suntanners but ages like Hardwick has, the suntanners will have to get clearance for that mobility scooter to be on the paddock. Could add a bit of CFL spice doin doughies on the deck while dealing out some random DONT ARGUES!

CFL crowds to Suntanners games might increase to 2fiddy.

I'm no expert, but does that mean help promote the Gold Coast Suns and sell memberships by getting a 34 year old that's cooked and that Gold Suns fans wouldn't give a sh*t about because Dustin has done nothing for 'em?

Gold Coast Suns fans aren't stupid man, and I expect them to be protesting the stupidity of trying to bring in cooked Dustin very soon, it's also disreprectful to the Rowell's, the Anderson's, the King's etc. to suggest a cooked Dustin will help sell memberships, it's insulting to Gold Coast. I'd also sack Hardwick for this embarrassment that he is bringing to the Gold Suns.
Martin hates interviews and doing any media work, don't know how Suns will use him to help promote the club.

He was contracted to Richmond this year, and you wanted him to waltz into his new coach’s office in May and say he was going to enact his free agency rights and explore the opportunity go to GC in the off-season..?

Yep … I’m sure you’d have been thrilled to hear that news mid-season and would have loved Dusty for his honesty…

Let’s get real with what basically every single player in the history of AFL has done in the season prior to changing clubs. Why hold Martin to some newfound standard that basically no other player in history has ever been held to?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes, do what any player applying for FA would do.

It’s not complicated, especially when finals is gone halfway through the season.

Doing a ‘one club champion retirement’ grand exit while you are texting GC - that’s not the thing to do.

Really not sure what is so hard to understand about this?

Sad to see Dusty play for another club but I was disappointed in his performance in 2024 and didn’t like seeing him go out on a low. I really hope he guns it if he’s at GCS and reminds everyone that he is truly a great of the game. I’d like him to go out on a high. I’ll cheer for him in games except against the Tigers. When he finally calls it a day I hope he’s still playing top level football.

Im not really all that bothered, we werent going to get anything for him in free agency and he clearly didnt want to play with us anymore, and were not going to be playing finals next year so making gold coast better is irrelevant, besides maybe they beat collingwood and cost them a top 8 spot or something.

If he does go though, i hope he tears it up, leads GC to a September campaign, wins them a final, it will add to the legacy of a man who already is a first round hall of famer and legend of the game the second hes eligible

what id hate to see is he plays 10 so so games, gets injured and his career comes to an end like a wet fart, where its obvious he just took the bag.

Im not really all that bothered, we werent going to get anything for him in free agency and he clearly didnt want to play with us anymore, and were not going to be playing finals next year so making gold coast better is irrelevant, besides maybe they beat collingwood and cost them a top 8 spot or something.

If he does go though, i hope he tears it up, leads GC to a September campaign, wins them a final, it will add to the legacy of a man who already is a first round hall of famer and legend of the game the second hes eligible

what id hate to see is he plays 10 so so games, gets injured and his career comes to an end like a wet fart, where its obvious he just took the bag.
Good post. I’m with you

He's no longer a Richmond player so he can do whatever he pleases.

However, in my time following this great club, I can find former hero's like David Cloke, Geoff Raines, Bryan Wood, etc. in my hearts depreciation schedule.

KB, Royce Hart, Francis Bourke, Dale Weightman, Matthew Richardson, etc. have not depreciated one bit.

Martin probably DGAF where he stands in my eyes, but I do.
Which is why I was not surprised Wayne "I wanna go to North Melbourne" Campbell is involved in this.

He won’t. Or he will in a few regular season games and they won’t make the finals. Anyway he was no longer a good fit with our side. Time to move on and find the next Dusty
Yes, he was a shadow of his former self.
The occasional burst of a goal rekindled the flames, but nothing like dazzling virtuoso performances of the glory years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did the CFL boy's club put their snouts in this as well?
maybe quietly... believe Dusty has had plans to go live up at the G.C for some time
Cant compute that Dustin has the bank to go play/drink/dance and be happy anywhere he feels around the world
He can go on holidays at the drop of a hat now he is retired.
Does he really want to tie himself into another 2 years of abiding to a contract?
still believe he will move up there,but wont play for the suns !

This is a lifestyle choice for Dusty. It's not about footy really. He wants a paid holiday in his retirement. I hope we get something back for his trip but in the end, we weren't going to get anything for him in retirement anyway.

The only part of all this that doesn't sit well with me is Dimma. Can't stand him stripping my club down for spare parts.

Last edited:
If it does happen, which I really hope it doesn't, wasn't there a recent rule change to stop players retiring and then joining other clubs the next season?
yeah but he has until october to backflip on it

maybe quietly... believe Dusty has had plans to go live up at the G.C for some time
Cant compute that Dustin has the bank to go play/drink/dance and be happy anywhere he feels around the world
He can go on holidays at the drop of a hat now he is retired.
Does he really want to tie himself into another 2 years of abiding to a contract?
still believe he will move up there,but wont play for the suns !
Yep.

Part time assistant maybe? the GC boys would love it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin GOAT and King of Punt Rd - OFFICIALLY RETIRED

Remove this Banner Ad

Back