Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah - reckon Ralph has his fingerprints allover this - with Dusty retiring he loses 99% of his profile - not even sure of who else he manages anymore.
Even if this all a bit of a smokescreen and does not happen, there will be a few more weeks of will Dusty and wont Dusty speculation and all along good ole boot polish hair Ralphy will be lurking in the background....
he's still got Tina Arena and all the other washed up B grade entertainers... so he's good!

Technically Martin must not have retired because if he had signed the proper paperwork he would not be allowed to play for another AFL team in 2025.

Instead he is effectively an out-of-contract free agent, and given his age and the likelihood of a two-year deal according to reports, he would very likely not earn Richmond any free agency compensation.

& Dimma was on the MCG at the end to give Dusty a hug - probably slipped him a USB with a contract on it the prick.
Thought the body language between dusty and dimma was strange that day at the G - it looked like dusty was trying avoid him. At the time I thought dusty must hate his guts for leaving the way he did but in retrospect it was prob because he was feeling a guilty and/or didn't want to give anything away

This changes things. Didn't know this rule existed.

Probably just means Dusty gets incorporated into the Rioli trade and we get a bit more.
Pick 6 + 12 for Dusty and Rioli + some salary help

Kthanks bye

It's all a bit strange really. I'd like to know when Dusty or his manager reached out to Gold Coast.

Did he want to get away and has made his decision on reflection while away? - which is different to deciding through the year that he wants to join them.

From what the GC said, I get the feeling that they have told him that the only way it could possibly work is if he walks for free. I don't belief it's something that has just come up suddenly.

I was laughed at a couple of months ago when I said
6,13 & 20 for Rioli and we pay his wages and throw a bunch of later picks back for Lombard points.
Gloves off, we should demand that now.

And only the picks left over from any deal we do with Brisbane for their 1st rounder.

6 & 13 at an absolute minimum now for Rioli - no late picks thrown back.
I'm assuming Martin and his manager spoken to the suns early on
. Martin seemed switched off all season and played whatever it suited him

Dimma always had a smug look whenever he spoke about Martin to the media

This changes things. Didn't know this rule existed.

Probably just means Dusty gets incorporated into the Rioli trade and we get a bit more.
Someone raced in with a rubber and pencil at CFL hq.

I don't get the anger from fans. Would it really have served us any benefit to have Dusty play on for us next year or even play out the season?

It was the best thing for player and club for him to "retire" in season. My only regret is that his 300th wasn't his final game for us as it was the perfect farewell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of makes me feel like an idiot now getting wrapped up in his ‘retirement’. There is no way that this is a change of heart, this would have been the play all along.

Should have just been honest with us.
I feel the same about getting caught up in the retirment hype. I didn't go to the last game of the season but I watched him do his retirement lap and walk down the race on telly. I had goosebumps watching it and felt a sense of loss at what I thought was him walking off the field one last time.

Regarding whether this was the play the whole time or not, I'm not so sure. I reckon Dimma and Ralph Carr have likely been in his ear all season, so while this potential change in retirement status does sour his legacy a bit in my eyes, I feel like Dimma and Ralph have been the devils on Dusty's shoulders.

Whilst likely true, this trait did yield 3 premierships. Dimma will do, what Dimma will do.
End does not justify the means. I'll probably boo hardwick if I go to a sun's game before he is sacked.

I'll refrain from booing dusty.

Well, that's depressing. The Gold Coast is a shite money making exercise, it's a franchise, like a mcdonalds built in a brand new housing estate in the western suburbs. It exists to soley make money for massive corporation, the AFL. No doubt the AFL themselves have been instrumental in getting both Dimma, and Dusty there. Pretty odd that we played them first and last this year, their trying to make some bullshit rivalry, to make the gold coast relevant.

Makes me think ** the Afl, its all just some cappo money making bullshit. The grand final will become a night one soon, no doubt, for more money. The fixture will remain uneven, for money. They'll ** with the game through umpiring, make it 'more free flowing, more goals' for money. Like most things, the things that made footy great are being destroyed through greed, and the sole focus being.. money $$$.

If true, why backtrack?

If he just came out and said he wants to go to the GC, I would be fine with that.

but why retire only to change your mind (and I would hope the retirement bit wasn't a lie, and that he was simply suckered out of retirement)

He will always be a Richmond legend, but this does not sit well with me.

why didnt we cash in

the club has been fukt since the end of 2020
Nah since that Brisbane final when the AFL cheated with the lynch goal.

Have I got this new rule right?

I’m reading on fb people are saying if you retire you can’t play for 12 months.

So Dusty can only play at GC in 2026 at the earliest at 35 years of age.

I just can’t see this happening no way GC are that stupid.

Think it depends if he signed any official paperwork or not

That's once you've been cut from list due to retirement. List lodgement hasn't happened

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back