Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get the anger from fans. Would it really have served us any benefit to have Dusty play on for us next year or even play out the season?

It was the best thing for player and club for him to "retire" in season. My only regret is that his 300th wasn't his final game for us as it was the perfect farewell.

If Dusty played on next year at Richmond the other 4 would be staying. We’ll determine whether that’s a good or bad thing over the next few years.

That's once you've been cut from list due to retirement. List lodgement hasn't happened
Yeah I think it’s to stop players pulling the pin and joining clubs in the pre season supplemental period for nothing

I don't get the anger from fans. Would it really have served us any benefit to have Dusty play on for us next year or even play out the season?

It was the best thing for player and club for him to "retire" in season. My only regret is that his 300th wasn't his final game for us as it was the perfect farewell.
No anger from me his finished, but why bs the club when they have been in your corner always rather his upfront. Unless the club knew about it , but doubt it.

I’m not angry, because you’re right. I don’t think we would benefit him playing next year. But I can’t help but feel disappointed saying you’re retired and then ‘reach out’ to Gold Coast
I’m more worried about the footy club at the moment. Something ain’t right, feels like our brotherhood and ‘happy place’ aura has now gone, players/admin jumping ship.

gold coast are farrken obsessed with our club

100% - but they will never win a flag even with the toys Dimma is devaluing, a dream fixture and the umpires sucking them off. C'Mon folks - can anyone see a Suns team with all the RFC Royalty running out onto the MCG on Grand Final day ?

More than likely - More pressure on Dimma to make finals with Rioli and Dusty heading there. Add a monster deal to a player that improved from his first year (Mack Andrew) to keep him there with a core group of players that will achieve nothing. Imagine even making the finals and you have a half fit Dusty with 12 games as a Sun. Are you gonna pick him ?

Let him go there. We have a National draft to smash and when OUR toys are ready to perform on the big stage, Dimma's toys will be leaving the sinking ship and bottoming out for the following decade before the club folds.

Bring on the kids and Caracella to help out Yze and Newman. This is what I'm looking forward to....

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dusty ends up on Dancing With The Stars.
Earlier this year Ralph asked Dusty if he would like to earn some money in 2025 by going into the wilds of Queensland. Although made for TV, there would be no live audience. He would have to eat shit, be away from his mates and miss all the comforts of home. But the money would be great.

Dusty agreed, assuming it was for "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here".

Mate we had a few bad apples in our senior group this season pulling the opposite way. For me buy in or pack your bags. One word Broad.
Really?

Surprised to read this.

Broad did that interview where he said he’d had offers but having enjoyed success with the club he wouldn’t leave now we are struggling.

(Plus he of one player damn well I thought)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you older gents feel about Ian Stewart in regards to his standing in RFC. He’s an immortal I think.
In a Dustin Martin thread Chucking up the name Ian Stewart is interesting. Calling him a Richmond immortal is just weird. Traded for the best footballer I ever saw.

Sadly, Barrot was cooked by 71 and kudos to GR for getting Stewart into the club. Won 2 flags in his 5 years and 78 games at punt road.

Well yeah of course the club would of paid Dusty his entitled wages. Who else did you expect to pay Dusty his wages?

I have no problem paying Dusty for the entire 2024 Season

He has earned every cent that he was paid

If he joins the Suns, it will be a kick in the guts to all of the Tigers supporters though

If Dusty played on next year at Richmond the other 4 would be staying. We’ll determine whether that’s a good or bad thing over the next few years.
That's just not true, why tf would that change their mind...unless you have the ability to re-cast Dustin Martin in 27yr old prime and are giving it to Hardwank?

I’d love to know if he told anyone at the club that he was planning on moving to the GC. Ice cold move if he didn’t. And I agree that it’s a pretty shitty way to treat the fans and club members. Ice cold. But we all know he doesn’t play the media game and keeps his cards close to his chest.

Earlier in the thread you said he gave us 3 flags, he can do what he wants, he owes us nothing. Now you say it’s a shitty way to treat the fans and club members. Well, which is it?

I am really disappointed in him, I thought he had a bit more class than this. It’s not like he would need the money. If it was some sort of coaching role, I wouldn’t mind so much, but to play for them feels like a slap in the face to me. How could he want to prove any of the media correct? He supposedly has no time for them.

There is just no such thing as loyalty any more whatsoever. So disappointing.

So he either retires and that rule applies or he doesn’t and he’s an UFA and we can then get compo?

Or is there a 3rd option I’m missing?
Believe so.

3rd option would be his contract and age means no compo.

process this & then watch dustys sons join GC academy & play for them!
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back