Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

But yet Richmond acquired Tom Lynch and Dion Prestia.

What's good for the goose is also good for the gander - simple as that.

Players move clubs all the time. It's part of the AFL landscape. Time you accept it and move on.

If you said before 2017 that we get 3 flags but all this shit happens everybody would take it without batting an eye.

1st world problems, we’ll all get over it.

Come on fellas.

We all saw Dusty play in the second half of the season. He's cooked.

He ain't playing for GC.

This is exactly what I said to my husband when we heard this on the tv. I said how can he play for them, he’s cooked. He could barely get through a game with us all year. It’s ridiculous. I just can’t believe it, if it’s true.

100% - but they will never win a flag even with the toys Dimma is devaluing, a dream fixture and the umpires sucking them off. C'Mon folks - can anyone see a Suns team with all the RFC Royalty running out onto the MCG on Grand Final day ?

More than likely - More pressure on Dimma to make finals with Rioli and Dusty heading there. Add a monster deal to a player that improved from his first year (Mack Andrew) to keep him there with a core group of players that will achieve nothing. Imagine even making the finals and you have a half fit Dusty with 12 games as a Sun. Are you gonna pick him ?

Let him go there. We have a National draft to smash and when OUR toys are ready to perform on the big stage, Dimma's toys will be leaving the sinking ship and bottoming out for the following decade before the club folds.

Bring on the kids and Caracella to help out Yze and Newman. This is what I'm looking forward to....
Great post mate. We are closer to our next flag then Suns and the Saints......oh the Aints lol

100% - but they will never win a flag even with the toys Dimma is devaluing, a dream fixture and the umpires sucking them off. C'Mon folks - can anyone see a Suns team with all the RFC Royalty running out onto the MCG on Grand Final day ?

More than likely - More pressure on Dimma to make finals with Rioli and Dusty heading there. Add a monster deal to a player that improved from his first year (Mack Andrew) to keep him there with a core group of players that will achieve nothing. Imagine even making the finals and you have a half fit Dusty with 12 games as a Sun. Are you gonna pick him ?

Let him go there. We have a National draft to smash and when OUR toys are ready to perform on the big stage, Dimma's toys will be leaving the sinking ship and bottoming out for the following decade before the club folds.

Bring on the kids and Caracella to help out Yze and Newman. This is what I'm looking forward to....

Exactly right well said. This is why all those who are getting over emotional need to move on. Time we focus in the future, not Dusty. Let's hope the club nails the draft.

we acquired players from other clubs during our successful era. Prestia, Lynch, Nankervis.
Those three were acquired from afl startup franchises, not clubs.

There’s a difference between a club (10 vic teams, maybe port), a franchise (all the 80s to date startups) and a private business masquerading as a club (weagles and dickers)

How do you older gents feel about Ian Stewart in regards to his standing in RFC. He’s an immortal I think.
You’re not comparing apples with apples here. Stewart didn’t retire & get a huge send off from his adoring fans. Stewart & Allan Jeans did not get along, he was originally going to West Australia, then the Barrot thing happened.

Well at some point we need to move on. The future is important for the club. Not one player.
And we will, but at the moment I feel deceived like others after being sold the retirement story.

This is exactly what I said to my husband when we heard this on the tv. I said how can he play for them, he’s cooked. He could barely get through a game with us all year. It’s ridiculous. I just can’t believe it, if it’s true.

He’s got/had a back injury yeah? Idk if those are chronic but I wouldn’t be taking a player with that sort of injury issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those three were acquired from afl startup franchises, not clubs.

There’s a difference between a club (10 vic teams, maybe port), a franchise (all the 80s to date startups) and a private business masquerading as a club (weagles and dickers)

My point still stands....player movement between clubs takes place all the time. Sometimes you win some and other times you lose some. That's the current landscape in the AFL we are dealt with.

If he does this it just tarnishes him as a money hungry lying dog.
All the rubbish you hear about how much loyalty means to him, yeah right. Maybe his close friends, but mostly his hip pocket it looks.
Some here may say that he owes us and the club nothing, we'll that rubbish after everything the club and supporters gave him. If he had just come out when he finished with Richmond and said he needs a refresh and would look at his options going forward, it wouldn't have left the nasty taste this could end up being.

Players move clubs all the time. It's part of the AFL landscape. Time you accept it and move on.
yes, tigers did get Lynch and Prestia, but the difference is that was upfront trades and not sneaking around bull sh##ting the club and supporters and yes i will move on and i will support the new and improved Tiger for 2025 and beyond. But i can't help but feel that we all have been lied to.

yes, tigers did get Lynch and Prestia, but the difference is that was upfront trades and not sneaking around bull sh##ting the club and supporters and yes i will move on and i will support the new and improved Tiger for 2025 and beyond. But i can't help but feel that we all have been lied to.

As I said in my earlier post - my point still stands....player movement...whether the RFC benefits from it or not.....takes place all the time.

I don’t know where you got that from. Ted Whitten did not play for North.
In 1972, after finishing with the Bulldogs a second time, he briefly contemplated a comeback with North Melbourne, but shelved those plans when told by coach Brian Dixon he would have to initially play in the reserves.

I remembered it a bit wrong but that's the north connection. He did train with them.

Last edited:
Few remember that Ted Whitten went and played one season with North after he left the Bulldogs. He played like 4 games and said afterwards "I probably humiliated myself".

This is not Plugga going to Sydney and cementing his fame. This is more like Carey to Adelaide or Dermie to the pies and swans. It will be an embarrassment, he has no fire in the belly; he was checked out all year. He'll limp to 4 more games, get injured and look like a goose for doing it.

If he wants to go up to the Gold Coast and get some skank time then go up and be an assistant coach or even play in the 2s as a non-AFL listed player. I got no problem with that.

If he wants to be mercenary about it then that's fine but i'll remember him as that campaigner who bullshitted us all and ****ed off with Dimma and not the absolute champion that he was.

Don't expect people to be rational about their heroes.
I wouldn't be so certain he won't find some sort of form.
He just pushed himself through to get to 300 to cash in on that. He might try and actually get his body right, particularly if he can get into a finals series in decent condition.
Unfortunately he was just going through the motions this year with us once finals were gone.

Irrelevant- Lynch and Prestia did not retire in a blaze of emotion, telling GC fans how much they love them - only to 3 weeks later have coffee with Dimma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back