Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys, so many of us have said that Dusty has done so much for us and owes us nothing.

Now that heā€™s leaving, weā€™re all suddenly up in arms?

Dusty can do what he wants, heā€™ll always be a Tiger.

Yes it sucks a little that he retired then ā€œbackflippedā€, but think about it, if he had done the normal route of Unrestricted Free Agency then he would have had to wait until the end of the season to announce that, so no chance for us to farewell him and no chance for him to farewell and thank us too.

He had to retire to get the chance to say goodbye.

Let it be, let him go, itā€™s fine.
That's rubbish and you know it.

I told my brother to not waste his time going to his last game as he was a rat and betrayed Yze , The RFC and fans. So many people are so gullible as you could see he wasnā€™t happy here anymore and was ready to knife us for The Suns.
You canā€™t blame DH as in the end the integrity lies with Martin. It was so obvious months away this was going to happen, but with the usual circus clowns on here I left them to eat their own words.

Dusty is a rat now you say.

Lol.

A man provides a magnificent feast for all, but grabs a sneaky sandwich on his way out the door he is a thief I suppose? Your need for attention is getting the better of you TI. Take a chill pill, enjoy the 2024 NAB AFL Richmond Draft, and thank the very Lord you are a Tiger supporter. :)

Last edited:
I feel for anyone, who might be genuinely upset about this.
For me I'm just so happy to have won those 3 premierships.
And without Martin we almost certainly wouldn't have some if not all of them.
He saw out his contract...sort of.
But even if his last few years had been poor...he'd already kept his part of the bargain imo.
I feel we got more loyalty from him than I had expected...I was ready to cut him loose after the GWS visit (then where would we have been). Have a look at his old man and the lessons he would have got from there...not to mention his manager.
His loyalty I feel was always more to his mates than the club...and they are all gone now.

And while I liked at first we'd employed a hard nut as a coach...I never thought much of Hardwick as a person...just ask his wife :)
But was more than pleasantly surprised he became a 3 time premiership coach...for us.
And Campbell gave us a wonderful gift with the Delidio trade...I never liked him much as a player...but doesn't finishing on 297 games when he didn't have to, say something good about his character (as opposed to say a Kaine Cornes :)
I'm also fine with Rioli, Baker, Bolton and Graham wanting out now. They all made their contributions. And they seem to be exiting in a manner that gives the best possible draft picks for Richmond. What about Tom Lynch while we're at it :)
It's probably the closest thing I've ever seen to a win win for all involved (except perhaps Lids :)
It certainly feels like the end of an era...no f#cking around.
And there is more than a little irony in Richmond, now giving back to GCS, what might be the basis for their 1st premiership :)

After 37 years of misery, I just reckon we were so lucky the planets happened to align for us for 3 more premierships.
That Gary March guy seems to have been instrumental in getting it started (wasn't he a property developer...even more amazing).
Stopping the financial hemorrhaging...and infighting.
Then when it looked like a classic Richmond alpha male sh!t fight succeed hime...engineered the Peggy deal.
And without Brendan Gale as CEO it still wouldn't have happened. Nor probably with Neil Balme.
And enough of a core group of youngish players...plus some very good recruiting for just a couple of years.
The assistant coaches too need a mention...just look at Collingwood.
And then probably most important of all is the present moment stuff...and we have Dan Richardson to thank for that.
So many sliding doors moments.
And they all deserve so much credit for their contributions...imo.

And what are the chances of it happening again any time soon...not much imo.
On average you should win 1 premiership every 18 years...soon to be 19...then 20.
And of course certain well run/connected clubs will win more than their fair share...meaning the odds are even less for most.
Especially for those clubs who just can't ever get their sh!t together...St Kilda...GCS...Fremantle...formerly Richmond.
At least the brown paper bag era is gone...although we were also beneficiaries during much of our GR period.
And that wouldn't be the case except that the silvertails who own the AFL currently believe their profits will be greater with a fairer competition.

What concerns me most is how poorly Richmond seems to have drafted and developed players in recent years.
So even with this looming great hand of draft picks, I have no confidence we won't do a "gold coast" with them (rather than a Geelong or Hawthorn).
I also have no confidence that the club is left with anything but mediocre leadership.
Only time will tell.
Because I would have said the same thing about Peggy (although not about Gale or Balme).
I'd also written off Hardwick as a coach...so clearly I've got no credibility :)
I just get the feeling that the club has now completely slipped into the entirely bland corporatised model which is the AFL.
Even though as a club we are not directly trapped by gambling revenue...having Latitude Finance as your major sponsor is not much better.
When the board was challenged in 2016...and the incumbents won...and the process worked...their response was oh so typically corporate...change the rules to make it harder for anyone else to ever challenge again...is that in the best interests of the members?
It's board behaviour like that...along with our recent recruiting and development...that makes me feel we should bask in the 3 premierships that we got for as long as we can...as it may be a while before the next one.

Go Tiges :)

Julio Cesar Rome GIF by Luis Ricardo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys, so many of us have said that Dusty has done so much for us and owes us nothing.

Now that heā€™s leaving, weā€™re all suddenly up in arms?

Dusty can do what he wants, heā€™ll always be a Tiger.

Yes it sucks a little that he retired then ā€œbackflippedā€, but think about it, if he had done the normal route of Unrestricted Free Agency then he would have had to wait until the end of the season to announce that, so no chance for us to farewell him and no chance for him to farewell and thank us too.

He had to retire to get the chance to say goodbye.

Let it be, let him go, itā€™s fine.
I honestly donā€™t care about a farewell game if it means weā€™ll lose compensation for his move. I follow Richmond and not necessarily Dusty.

So, Iā€™d rather he stays on the list for the whole year and then request a trade to Gold Coast because thatā€™ll mean weā€™d get some form of compensation.

That farewell game he played would end up meaning nothing to me if heā€™s playing for another club within 6 months.

W
He's like the one member of your favourite band that you absolutely hate...

Absolute scumbag of a person. Worked with an ex Richmond player from the early to mid 90s, said Campbell would be referred to as 'Lord' and Campbell loved it, this ex player hated his guts and he wasn't alone, most of team mates hated or feared him (or both). If you weren't in the in crowd he wouldn't talk to you or give you the time of day.

Worst thing we did was retain him when he wanted out.
When he had the Swan hotel in Richmond I used to drop in on the way home from work ..I was a chef then and he used to chat with me about chefing a lot ..he was convinced his cooks were ripping him off with the food budget but he couldn't figure out how ...they were but I didn't tell him how .( Kick backs for buying over priced produce from suppliers )..would talk about anything other than football

I feel for anyone, who might be genuinely upset about this.
For me I'm just so happy to have won those 3 premierships.
And without Martin we almost certainly wouldn't have some if not all of them.
He saw out his contract...sort of.
But even if his last few years had been poor...he'd already kept his part of the bargain imo.
I feel we got more loyalty from him than I had expected...I was ready to cut him loose after the GWS visit (then where would we have been). Have a look at his old man and the lessons he would have got from there...not to mention his manager.
His loyalty I feel was always more to his mates than the club...and they are all gone now.

And while I liked at first we'd employed a hard nut as a coach...I never thought much of Hardwick as a person...just ask his wife :)
But was more than pleasantly surprised he became a 3 time premiership coach...for us.
And Campbell gave us a wonderful gift with the Delidio trade...I never liked him much as a player...but doesn't finishing on 297 games when he didn't have to, say something good about his character (as opposed to say a Kaine Cornes :)
I'm also fine with Rioli, Baker, Bolton and Graham wanting out now. They all made their contributions. And they seem to be exiting in a manner that gives the best possible draft picks for Richmond. What about Tom Lynch while we're at it :)
It's probably the closest thing I've ever seen to a win win for all involved (except perhaps Lids :)
It certainly feels like the end of an era...no f#cking around.
And there is more than a little irony in Richmond, now giving back to GCS, what might be the basis for their 1st premiership :)

After 37 years of misery, I just reckon we were so lucky the planets happened to align for us for 3 more premierships.
That Gary March guy seems to have been instrumental in getting it started (wasn't he a property developer...even more amazing).
Stopping the financial hemorrhaging...and infighting.
Then when it looked like a classic Richmond alpha male sh!t fight succeed hime...engineered the Peggy deal.
And without Brendan Gale as CEO it still wouldn't have happened. Nor probably with Neil Balme.
And enough of a core group of youngish players...plus some very good recruiting for just a couple of years.
The assistant coaches too need a mention...just look at Collingwood.
And then probably most important of all is the present moment stuff...and we have Dan Richardson to thank for that.
So many sliding doors moments.
And they all deserve so much credit for their contributions...imo.

And what are the chances of it happening again any time soon...not much imo.
On average you should win 1 premiership every 18 years...soon to be 19...then 20.
And of course certain well run/connected clubs will win more than their fair share...meaning the odds are even less for most.
Especially for those clubs who just can't ever get their sh!t together...St Kilda...GCS...Fremantle...formerly Richmond.
At least the brown paper bag era is gone...although we were also beneficiaries during much of our GR period.
And that wouldn't be the case except that the silvertails who own the AFL currently believe their profits will be greater with a fairer competition.

What concerns me most is how poorly Richmond seems to have drafted and developed players in recent years.
So even with this looming great hand of draft picks, I have no confidence we won't do a "gold coast" with them (rather than a Geelong or Hawthorn).
I also have no confidence that the club is left with anything but mediocre leadership.
Only time will tell.
Because I would have said the same thing about Peggy (although not about Gale or Balme).
I'd also written off Hardwick as a coach...so clearly I've got no credibility :)
I just get the feeling that the club has now completely slipped into the entirely bland corporatised model which is the AFL.
Even though as a club we are not directly trapped by gambling revenue...having Latitude Finance as your major sponsor is not much better.
When the board was challenged in 2016...and the incumbents won...and the process worked...their response was oh so typically corporate...change the rules to make it harder for anyone else to ever challenge again...is that in the best interests of the members?
It's board behaviour like that...along with our recent recruiting and development...that makes me feel we should bask in the 3 premierships that we got for as long as we can...as it may be a while before the next one.

Go Tiges :)
I pretty much agree, it's going to be a long hard road until we get up again, I'll take the three premierships, our record-breaking winning steak at the G, and be very proud of how we went about it.

We are in such a different position now that it feels light years away from where we were just a few years ago.

Bring in the draft pics and roll again in 10 years time, hopefully TT, Prestia, hopper and graham will be gone by then to be replaced by mids who are fast and can use the ball well. then we stand a chance of doing something.

PS Lynch should retire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back