Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

So over it all. Dusty is 33 his best is behind him,watching him play last few years has been painful.He is no longer the Dusty of 2020 sure if he plays on for the 3 or 4 good games good luck to him.
He will always be a Richmond champion he was pick 3 in 2009 that is 15 years ago!!Time to move on to the next group of tigers.We are sitting nicely with 3 extra cups in the cupboard and so many fantastic memories,no more looking back.

He's not getting to Gold Coast then, because why would they want someone cooked?

It'd be funny if Dustin thinks he isn't cooked and Gold Coast tell him, "thanks for your inquiry, but we don't need cooked players to help us make finals."

They may want him around just to help the Suns players with no finals experience with what they need to focus on with their finals preparation and things like that. If you are looking at playing finals and Dusty is there all the time telling you what you need to do, you listen.

We have no final idea what his contract or our compensation will be or what his exact role with the Suns might be yet.

Was never the same since his father's death and the Robinson collision.
Two crucial factors.
Think the decision was made some time ago.
Did virtually no media, only a brief Q&A on-field with Riewoldt.

Dusty should of been AA last year.

Strange season. Doesn't play opening round against GC...retires before the end of the year effective immediately, doesn't play a farewell game...which would of been against GC.

They got to make finals first for that to happen, this is where cooked Dustin comes in, he believes he can help with that.

I'd imagine it would be f*** all, he should of left after the '23 season. I know that I didn't need him to play 300 games for Richmond and would've preferred him gone at the appropriate time, as it is he took 13 games off some kid.

Why would you want him gone after the 2023 season? He had a superb season.

What the hell has gotten into people...

Exactly, so be a Richmond Man and say that’s what you want to do.

This bloke owned every team he played fit against in a final.

But can’t stand up and say to us ‘I need a change, I want free transfer to GC’?

What happened to this guy?
Your upset because he's going for free lol

Why are you trying to blame Carr and likewise for people with Dimma

Ultimately Dusty has called all the shots no one else

I don’t even know why people are getting shitty at Hardwick for trying to get him over… of course he did
His job is to literally make the suns the best team he can

Imagine if people thought Yze wasn’t doing everything he could possibly can to make our club tue best club possible

My position is if you retire, you don't suddenly "unretire" within the space of a few weeks.

This is not Plugga in an ill-advised attempt to come back.

This is either a bullshit media beat up, or it is outright deception - possibly including the RFC who may or may not be in on the act.

If they'd been honest about it and said "I want to sign on with the suns", there'd still be people melting, but people who value honesty and integrity would be thinking that it sucks but not really any different to Brandon Ellis asking to be traded. And wish him all the best.

I don't think we should be making excuses for bullshitting people. That goes for everything, not just football.

Sitting here thinking of different theories,was Dimma going to be sacked so he got in first? The press conferences at the time were really weird.Daniel wanting to leave and Dusty they were the closest to Dimma personally I am really looking forward to the new look tigers.

We could of got something for him after his decent season in '23, because as decent as it was we didn't make finals, and I don't think anyone expected us to make finals this season, so why stay?

Entering the season Richmond has as good a chance as most mid table teams of making finals. By your reasoning we should have been selling some of the players who gave us our best chance to make finals, Dusty, Lynch to name 2 over 30's.

We have to remember, the club did not know in advance it was going to be beset with injuries...

Lynch misses 19 games
Dusty missed 10 games and was clearly hampered in most games he played.
Grimes missed 21 games
Graham missed 9 games
Prestia missed 10 games
Baker missed 5 games
Balta missed 4 games
Pickett missed 10 games
Ross missed 16 games
Taranto missed 8 games
Maurice Jnr missed 14 games
Hopper missed 11 games
Gibcus missed 21 games
Brown missed 5 games
Lefau missed 10 games
Young missed about 10 games
Bauer missed more than half the season injured
Clarke, Naismith did ACL's

Sundry other players missed 1-2 games. All in all we were on average entering every game with about 9 of our best 23 not available and probably another 1-2 playing under duress that wouldn't have happened had we not had so many injuries. In the AFL, on average, teams have around 3-4 of their best 23 unavailable, and are not forced to play players who really shouldn't be playing due to being hampered by injury.

There is no way the club could foresee all of that. They made finals in 2022 with a load of youngsters playing and mainly no Dusty. Finished 13th in 2023 with mainly no Lynch and Dusty playing well and a huge amount of coaching disruption etc. With a new coach they were entitled to be going into 2024 having a crack at playing finals. Of course we now know the whole season went wrong. But it would have looked idiotic to try to trade Dusty after 2023, especially as to get anything worthwhile from the trade we'd have had to pay most of his salary. Imagine doing that, you don't get all the injuries and miss finals by a win or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it appears now that it may not actually happen given they're only offering Dusty a deal under $300k for 1 year. On top of that the Suns outside Dimma don't seem to be completely sold on the idea and will be making sure that Martin is 100% committed to a full preseason as well as a full season before going ahead with any deal.

The one thing that'll annoy me is if he tears it up at Gold Coast after essentially going through the motions whilst on a sizeable contract the past 18 months, despite stating he still has the hunger to contribute, but his demeanour on field has shown frequently he didn't really seem to care.
He won’t. Or he will in a few regular season games and they won’t make the finals. Anyway he was no longer a good fit with our side. Time to move on and find the next Dusty

He's not getting to Gold Coast then, because why would they want someone cooked?

It'd be funny if Dustin thinks he isn't cooked and Gold Coast tell him, "thanks for your inquiry, but we don't need cooked players to help us make finals."
It's marketing, the missing piece of the puzzle isnt a 34 year old player past his prime.

My position is if you retire, you don't suddenly "unretire" within the space of a few weeks.

This is either a bullshit media beat up, or it is outright deception - possibly including the RFC who may or may not be in on the act.

If they'd been honest about it and said "I want to sign on with the suns", there'd still be people melting, but people who value honesty and integrity would be thinking that it sucks but not really any different to Brandon Ellis asking to be traded. And wish him all the best.

I don't think we should be making excuses for bullshitting people. That goes for everything, not just football.

100% agree Dan. This is it in a nutshell.

On the same page,
Where i differ with a lot is trying to place the blame on Dimma or Carr those two are just doing their jobs and what ever has transpired has been solely Dusty’s choice and he needs to cop the criticism
Not the other two

Exactly, so be a Richmond Man and say that’s what you want to do.

This bloke owned every team he played fit against in a final.

But can’t stand up and say to us ‘I need a change, I want free transfer to GC’?

What happened to this guy?

He was contracted to Richmond this year, and you wanted him to waltz into his new coach’s office in May and say he was going to enact his free agency rights and explore the opportunity go to GC in the off-season..?

Yep … I’m sure you’d have been thrilled to hear that news mid-season and would have loved Dusty for his honesty…

Let’s get real with what basically every single player in the history of AFL has done in the season prior to changing clubs. Why hold Martin to some newfound standard that basically no other player in history has ever been held to?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The one thing that'll annoy me is if he tears it up at Gold Coast after essentially going through the motions whilst on a sizeable contract the past 18 months, despite stating he still has the hunger to contribute, but his demeanour on field has shown frequently he didn't really seem to care.

In 2023 he made the AA squad and finished second in B&F despite missing a few games.

Dylan Moore made AA in 2024, so let’s compare his 2024 (as part of a finals team) v Martin’s as part of a 13th team:

Martin (2023) v Moore (2024):

Coaches vote average: 2.35 v 2.04
Disposals: 23.5 v 19.5
I50’s: 5.0 v 4.1
Metres: 373 v 290
CP: 9.8 v 7.4
Clearances: 2.8 v 2.0
Tackles: 1.9 v 4.0
Goals avg: 1.3 v 1.4
GA: 0.8 v 1.3
SI: 7.7 v 7.2
SI % : 32.2 v 29.7
Player rating: 13.90 v 12.14

Martins 2024 was ordinary. But let’s not just mix it in with 2023 and act like he’s been ‘absent’ for 18-months as it’s just BS, his 2023 was outstanding.

A player by any other name romps it into the AA team in 2023 with Martin’s overall performance. But just like 2015 and 2019, Martin was shafted by the AA selectors. He should be a 6-7 x AA, not 4.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm no expert, but does that mean help promote the Gold Coast Suns and sell memberships by getting a 34 year old that's cooked and that Gold Suns fans wouldn't give a sh*t about because Dustin has done nothing for 'em?

Gold Coast Suns fans aren't stupid man, and I expect them to be protesting the stupidity of trying to bring in cooked Dustin very soon, it's also disreprectful to the Rowell's, the Anderson's, the King's etc. to suggest a cooked Dustin will help sell memberships, it's insulting to Gold Coast. I'd also sack Hardwick for this embarrassment that he is bringing to the Gold Suns.
I guarantee you there is a marked increase in memberships next year at the Suns. Dusty is one of if not the most recognisable figures in aussie sport. For a brand in as much dire straits as the Suns a marketable figure like him is worth the investment of bugger all hell be getting (in footy terms)

I guarantee you there is a marked increase in memberships next year at the Suns. Dusty is one of if not the most recognisable figures in aussie sport. For a brand in as much dire straits as the Suns a marketable figure like him is worth the investment of bugger all hell be getting (in footy terms)
It’s also media exposure
Dusty makes headline news so it means the suns are getting talked about more overall by the media

Sponsors love that shit

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back