Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's no longer a Richmond player so he can do whatever he pleases.

However, in my time following this great club, I can find former hero's like David Cloke, Geoff Raines, Bryan Wood, etc. in my hearts depreciation schedule.

KB, Royce Hart, Francis Bourke, Dale Weightman, Matthew Richardson, etc. have not depreciated one bit.

Martin probably DGAF where he stands in my eyes, but I do.
OK you value one club players. IMO. I loved the 67 ~ 74 era. Managed to get to GFs 72 ~74. I didn't follow it for the next 20 odd years.

Saw your avatar come and go. What a player. Rex Hunt come and go. Sproule come and go. Saw my favourite player Barrot go. Teasdale and Brian Roberts go.
I loved Sheedy as a player. Almost 4 flag wins then a coaching career.
Sadly too successful as a coach while we were rubbish.

The Martin retirement/non retirement been messy. Martin looked ****ed this season. I think RFC would've had 500k offer to him. If the Suns want/need him they are doing RFC a solid.
Martin might help Suns make the 8. He's a human headline, & jumper signings on training days'd be enough.

AFL Football is pretty strong on the Goldie. & NNSW. Martin probably get a few more people through the gate.

I value one club players unless they have been pushed out by the club.

Billy Barrott is the perfect example. It was the RFC which offered him to St.Kilda in order to get the Ian Stewart deal done. I love Billy Barrott (God rest his soul). Same with Whale Roberts (God rest his soul too) who was sent along with Graeme Teasdale and Francis Jackson to Sth Melb to get the Pitura deal done. I harbour no ill will toward any of them. In fact Whale Roberts used to watch Richmond games from the walkway behind the ground level seats beside the players race. Richmond man.

Players like Robbie McGhie and Paul Sproule were recruited from other clubs, and even though McGhie went back to Footscray and then Sth Melb, I think he is best known for his time at Richmond and is a Richmond man.

I would be extremely surprised if Dusty pulls the boots on in a GC jumper; and if he does so be it. But if he does, then Dusty's legacy is not quite the same largely because of the way it would transpire.

If the reports are true that the Suns will only offer 300k +

If Ralph Carr was a good manager he would say you are not playing for that & convinces him to stay retired.

You could look at it two ways if Dusty took this deal than it would prove he wants to play for the right reasons but you could also look at it that the Suns don't really want you that bad if that's all their offering.
The fact the Suns likely leaked this proves that. they wanted to get it out there that he will only be playing for average money.
there has been a lot of leaks around Damien Hardwick in the last few years.

Dimma showing Richmond the same loyalty he showed to Mrs Hardwick

So Dimma should never coach again and end his career because he has to stay loyal to us? wtf are you smoking

Are GOAT's capable of backflipping?!?
goat GIF

Best I could find

it's intersting listening to Bruest, who went through the highs and lows, and approaching highs again with the hawks, he talks about what it means to be a one club player.

I just hope, JR, Cotch, Sheds are actaully in his ear offering some words of wisdom.

Clearly just loves playing footy

My bet is he changed his mind once he realised what the faaaark he was gonna do next couple years.
Might as well be in good weather and a chance of success doing it

No grudges but would sting if he absolutely crushes it in a different jumper

If the reports are true that the Suns will only offer 300k +

If Ralph Carr was a good manager he would say you are not playing for that & convinces him to stay retired.

You could look at it two ways if Dusty took this deal than it would prove he wants to play for the right reasons but you could also look at it that the Suns don't really want you that bad if that's all their offering.
The fact the Suns likely leaked this proves that. they wanted to get it out there that he will only be playing for average money.
there has been a lot of leaks around Damien Hardwick in the last few years.
Or 3 , the GC are under a lot of cap pressure?

Clearly just loves playing footy

My bet is he changed his mind once he realised what the faaaark he was gonna do next couple years.
Might as well be in good weather and a chance of success doing it

No grudges but would sting if he absolutely crushes it in a different jumper
You believing in 🧚‍♂️ or what lool this was brewing long time ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Dimma should never coach again and end his career because he has to stay loyal to us? wtf are you smoking

No one said he wasn't going to get a new contract with us, did they?

How many years did Sheedy squeeze out of the Bummers?

I'm back! What have i missed fella's?

1726582882091.png

What a bloody disappointing way to end a fabled career. To be honest the way that Rance, Dimma & Dustin managed their exits from the club really been pretty bloody offensive for me. All year i was positive Dusty was going to GC, but when he retired, i took that as gospel. For him to "do a Dimma" and potentially go **** off to the Gold Coast for 2 years playing for only $300k a year after we just paid him well over $1.2m for him to act like he needed to retire was a shitty way to treat the people you apparently thanks a few weeks earlier.

Dustys impact in our dynasty can never be argued - but for me from here ...... Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards, Lambert, Astbury, Grimes, Nank & Houli represent the spirit of Tiger pride of the dynasty - Rance, Dimma & Dusty can go eat it for a year or 12. Self-Involved Liars.

When Dimma's affair became public, i got maligned for being strong in that the club should sack him, despite the flag. There are times when the culture of your club, especially THIS club, needs to take priority. Leading into 2021, i can understand the club thinking their window was wide open & making such a massive call would have been seen as insane - but I thought it was the right one. 12 months later my beloved Celtics found themselves in the same situation and went the other way - 2 years later they won the Championship with a young, well built team of high character players.

With Dimma, My fear was the players would lose respect for him and our discipline issues would worsen, which did somewhat happen. But the sad reality is, the players i thought would lose respect for him have actually chosen Dimma over the Club, despite his, clear, lack of character as a person. It feels like these people love what the Club was, not is. Its been 2 years of funerals.

The situation i truely think divided the club. There were people who stood up for Dimma (Dusty) & players who felt more for Danielle (Cotchin, Edwards). I can't imagine Houli was OK with it. I thought in 2021 the team look fractured the whole time - it was a elite quarter or half here, followed by a total collapse of a quarter there. Seeing the way Dimma has totally stripped the Club of its identity with his departure & the moves/deals/trades just prior to it - You can clearly see Dimma was the players coach - but he wasn't the Clubs after 2020. Something massive changed & we are only just seeing the depth of it now with all the current departures.

Good to be back fella's

Last edited:
I’d be pretty pissed myself. I remember when Ablett Jnr sold us out for GC in 2010. But at least he didn’t follow Bomber Thompson to Essendon. Us winning the flag a year later cost him though.

If you guys are in finals again in the next few years whilst GC are still trash and he wants to return for a final shot at glory would just be salt in the wounds

I’d be pretty pissed myself. I remember when Ablett Jnr sold us out for GC in 2010. But at least he didn’t follow Bomber Thompson to Essendon. Us winning the flag a year later cost him though.

If you guys are in finals again in the next few years whilst GC are still trash and he wants to return for a final shot at glory would just be salt in the wounds

That, is not happening. This club is so far away from Finals atm it would literally be a soggy wet dream to be in that situation.

The Club won 2 games this year and are about to lose Martin, Bolton, Dan Rioli, Baker, Pickett, Grimes, maybe Graham too, with Lefau, Gibcus, Lynch, Clarke will play much, if any, role in the 2025 campaign. If the side can't sneak out a shock win in the first 5 weeks, i think they are a real chance of being the first team in my lifetime to not win a single match. With those outs, you would think a side would be 4-5+ losses worse off than the previous year. We only won 2 with them.

Martin was the oldest player on our 2024 list, and he’s buggered physically. Not every club has as many geriatrics playing as yours does.

If the tigers really do make finals next year and Martin is wanting to come back to us, he’s just as likely to be fighting fit as he is to turn into the next chopper read hanging out with capper and jacko

Last edited:
Martin was the oldest player on our 2024 list, and he’s buggered physically. Not every club has as many geriatrics playing as yours does.

If the tigers really do make finals next year and Martin is wanting to come back to us, he’s just as likely to be fighting fit as he is to turn into the next chopper read hanging out with capper and jacko
Would you welcome him back after this?

If Dimma is to trade our first rounders, then leave the club with our foreseeable collapse considering another flag charge is off the cards, at least don’t take away rioli and lure dusty away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back