Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't trust Dimma, I know he is trying to make his club better, but if he really had intregrity he would want those champion players like Dustin Martin to finish up as a one-club legend.

Dimma would know it would take more than 300-400k & so would the Suns. especially if they wanted him & not the other way around.
Dimma is a desperate campaigner, I don't reckon he goes past 2026 tbh

You'd think Cotch would be in a better position to know than all the media flogs out there.

I reckon Dusty must be having a private chuckle at this media beat up. He'll be on the verge of his 50th birthday and these flogs will still be spinning the narrative of Dusty to CG lol.
That is the most sensible thing I have seen written about this whole saga.

I agree 100%. It's quite ridiculous really.

So it’s pretty safe to say, as has been the case all along, that Dusty is Richmond through and through and has no desire to play again or for anyone else.

Poor RJK, might have to add Dusty back to the good list 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, do what any player applying for FA would do.

It’s not complicated, especially when finals is gone halfway through the season.

Doing a ‘one club champion retirement’ grand exit while you are texting GC - that’s not the thing to do.

Really not sure what is so hard to understand about this?

Did Martin ask for 300-game fanfare? Did Martin ask or want a single bit of attention placed on him?

Give me a list of the free agents who’ve told their clubs before their season has finished they’d be exercising their free agency rights and changing clubs? Free agency has been around a decade or more, so I can only assume it’s a lengthy list, so you may need some time to compile it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Here is how I believe things played out based on all available evidence …

Martin was somewhat keen for a move to the GC during 2022-23, but the size of his contract and Richmond’s unwillingness to enter into a trade put a stop to anything beyond ‘initial discussions’. Martin happily remained at Richmond.

With Dimma and all Martin’s mates gone, Martin decided the GC move was best for his body and mind, and was sold on playing 1-2 seasons on GC in 2025-26. Carr had been pushing this and Martin was on board, as was Dimma.

However, mid-year it became clear to Martin his body was cooked and he lacked motivation to play, whether that be Richmond, GC or anywhere. He would’ve retired a little earlier but Richmond and Carr knew the 300th was a vital component of his legacy, and he pushed on to 300, receiving a hero’s reception.

He would’ve been happy to retire on the spot, but Carr convinced him to push through in case the fire was relit, with an eye to a GC swan song with a fully fit and motivated Martin.

After a few more injuries and a lack of motivation, Martin realised he was done and retired, with no intention of a GC swansong as he was mentally and physically cooked.

After 5-6 x weeks, Ralph Carr wanted Martin as his only player to play one more season at least. Martin said not interested. Carr said “Just let me ask the question and see what it might look like, as you’re a long time retired”. Dusty said “ok Ralph, knock yourself out”.

If Dusty doesn’t play that’s what I think transpired. If he does then I think it was in the works for many months.

Either way, I genuinely don’t actually give a sh*t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Of course the Suns approached him and probably months ago. This has nothing to do with the CEO as he’s just backing Hardwick. If Hardwick wasn’t at the Suns then we wouldn’t even be discussing this. I’m so puzzled how ignorant a lot of posters on here who are always kissing Dimma on his 1001st sausage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were very very bad towards the end of the season.
Now if our best players in Rioli and Baker leaves we probably won’t be better next year.

Who we gonna beat?

Maybe during the pre-season we can meet the State League Premiers so we have something to cheer about…
Injuries ****ed us this year. Massively. From about round 4 it was obvious we were in an extended preseason for next year. An extended tank if you prefer. That's why so many players like Dusty checked out. Even Benny's mind was elsewhere (and he should have left earlier)

I'm bullish; no club has lined up to rort the draft like we are about to, and usually chronic cellar dwellers who spoon and get good picks never have players with winning experience still playing so the draftees get bad habbits and bad attitudes.

With luck we'll trade into next year and rort that draft as well.

Buddy absolutely fleeced the Swans. Could be a similar pattern. Any chance, you think, Dimma is handing Martin a similar nest egg for services rendered in making Dimma into a Tiger legend?
You could tell how much Buddy was hated after he kicked his 1000th goal.
He gets zero press, and the AFL has shrunk in NSW since he moved here.

Geelong for starters. I mean we had no injuries to key players this year and didn't play 43 players in the ones. Everything was so bang on with our best team out there every week.
Yes we should have won more games at the start of the year before all the injuries kicked in.

But we are actually gonna start off with a worse team list next when so many experienced players are gone.

I dreaded at the start of the year we were a risk for the spoon. Now I feel 2025 it’s a certainty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back