Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's quite concerning how our club seems to be reluctant to drop our experienced players, especially if out of form. but I'll save that argument for another thread.
yeh I agree, and not just this year IMO.

we 'trusted' a few senior players over the last 2-3 years that probably would've been better served giving that game time and experiance to the kids. And even if the kids didn't immediately replace the output of the senior player, the development and upside had more positives than say Kmac running around delivering minimal output for the last 50 games

What reasons are they?
Dusty is no longer the player he once was and offers nothing much anymore and would be holding a kid back on better coin.
Baker is just a very good small Backman which wouldn't be missed , especially if he wants huge coin and a long deal. Best to grab a low pick for him and save the money. We need big, fast mids not little pretend midfielder/forward/ only a good BP.

Dusty is no longer the player he once was and offers nothing much anymore and would be holding a kid back on better coin.
Baker is just a very good small Backman which wouldn't be missed , especially if he wants huge coin and a long deal. Best to grab a low pick for him and save the money. We need big, fast mids not little pretend midfielder/forward/ only a good BP.
which TI is the opposite of TT and hopper, so how does this make sense?

which TI is the opposite of TT and hopper, so how does this make sense?
Still need inside beasts, but you need points of difference also, which we currently dont have.

Ringo drummed in the Beatles forever. But i reckon he got pretty lucky to join a band with John Lennon & Paul.

Doesn't mean Ringo didn't have the chops to do the job, but he certainly would not have been in the greatest band of all time otherwise.

So was Ringo equally as important in the Beatles success than the other 2? Or was he perhaps lucky to team-up with TWO once in a lifetime talents? I reckon Ringo would even agree with the latter.

Dimma played a role in our rise, but played a much bigger role IMO with the fall. He destroyed the culture with his personal choices. He destroyed the entire small forward division by refusing to zag the game style when it was clear as day it needed it. He destroyed the list with his insistence that the club just were "1 or 2" players short of competing again when it was clear as day it was over. And then the second reality set in, he broke contract, without warning, lied to the club about "exhaustion" and took another job a couple of months later & left the club completely in the crapper with no options to replace him. He was contracted ffs. Benny thought he had "locked in" our guy for the long-term and all of a sudden, he was gone - 8 games after he traded 2 years of our best picks for 2 players who played the same bloody position. He didn't even trade the 2 years of picks for pieces that are hard to obtain (ie Full Back, Full Forward). Talented mids are available everywhere in the first 2 rounds of a draft.

Since leaving he has poached our players and former players to join him. We can appreciate his past with us, but there is absolutely no reason we should respect this bloke "today".

Meanwhile, members here are slagging supporters off for not wasting their Sunday at the MCG. unbelievable
I'll stick my head out to argue a couple of points the RJK.
Dimma may have pushed for the trades and helped sell the dream, but he didn't negotiate the trades and they would have been signed off by the board. That was a club decision, not solely done by Dimma.
Also I wouldn't say it was plain as day we didn't have one more tilt left, not at the time perhaps in hindsight yes.
I have no grudge they rolled the dice one more time while we still had Dusty an co capable of perhaps getting there one more time.
Definitely agree the big mistake was grabbing 2 slow inside mids when we already had a basketful of them.

Your not wrong TI, my only thought on that is Dusty is a generational player, if he truly wants to play on the let him (should only be a 1 year contract, with an extension clause at best).
If what is being said that he is providing guidance and a voice to the younger kids I don't mind him staying.

TT and Hopper are on the list for another 5 years, like it or not.
Is your comment that Baker offers a point of difference to them? Yes he does, but it's a point we can easily replace, if we don't already have on the list in Green.
I think TI was referring to the need to draft fast mids, and I agreed, we are already stacked with slow mids and that is where my TT and hopper remark came from. Prestia will probably be done next year.

Your not wrong TI, my only thought on that is Dusty is a generational player, if he truly wants to play on the let him (should only be a 1 year contract, with an extension clause at best).
If what is being said that he is providing guidance and a voice to the younger kids I don't mind him staying.
lots of good points by all...
but if Dusty want to stay in Y&B and wants another year.. he gets the contract!

I'll stick my head out to argue a couple of points the RJK.
Dimma may have pushed for the trades and helped sell the dream, but he didn't negotiate the trades and they would have been signed off by the board. That was a club decision, not solely done by Dimma.
Also I wouldn't say it was plain as day we didn't have one more tilt left, not at the time perhaps in hindsight yes.
I have no grudge they rolled the dice one more time while we still had Dusty an co capable of perhaps getting there one more time.
Definitely agree the big mistake was grabbing 2 slow inside mids when we already had a basketful of them.
Do we have are baskefull of slow inside midfielders ?. Since Cotch retired no one has really stand up. Graham not the answer, Dow patchy etc. When they both come into our midfield we look 100 times better with Hopper and Taranto. I do agree it was one only at trade time through not both.

Ringo drummed in the Beatles forever. But i reckon he got pretty lucky to join a band with John Lennon & Paul.

Doesn't mean Ringo didn't have the chops to do the job, but he certainly would not have been in the greatest band of all time otherwise.

So was Ringo equally as important in the Beatles success than the other 2? Or was he perhaps lucky to team-up with TWO once in a lifetime talents? I reckon Ringo would even agree with the latter.

Dimma played a role in our rise, but played a much bigger role IMO with the fall. He destroyed the culture with his personal choices. He destroyed the entire small forward division by refusing to zag the game style when it was clear as day it needed it. He destroyed the list with his insistence that the club just were "1 or 2" players short of competing again when it was clear as day it was over. And then the second reality set in, he broke contract, without warning, lied to the club about "exhaustion" and took another job a couple of months later & left the club completely in the crapper with no options to replace him. He was contracted ffs. Benny thought he had "locked in" our guy for the long-term and all of a sudden, he was gone - 8 games after he traded 2 years of our best picks for 2 players who played the same bloody position. He didn't even trade the 2 years of picks for pieces that are hard to obtain (ie Full Back, Full Forward). Talented mids are available everywhere in the first 2 rounds of a draft.

Since leaving he has poached our players and former players to join him. We can appreciate his past with us, but there is absolutely no reason we should respect this bloke "today".

Meanwhile, members here are slagging supporters off for not wasting their Sunday at the MCG. unbelievable

smasha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got lucky? haha the hate is palpable.
He coached us for 13 years. Helped turn a basket case into a dominant force for 4 years.
But just got lucky.
Please.
Yeah, 2 time premiership player, premiership assistant coach at hawks, our second greatest coach behind Hafey.
But yeah, he got lucky. Geez we got some numpties on this board.

So apparently Dusty has just got back from New Zealand and therefore was never a chance to play this week. Very fishy, especially when Yze tried to hide it today.
Gale would've told Yze to hide that information.

Do we have are baskefull of slow inside midfielders ?. Since Cotch retired no one has really stand up. Graham not the answer, Dow patchy etc. When they both come into our midfield we look 100 times better with Hopper and Taranto. I do agree it was one only at trade time through not both.
At that time we still had Cotch, and still have Martin, Prestia and Graham, none of them are quick. The only one we have is Bolton. Baker now gets some mid rotation and has some pace, but he is still more of an inside mid than outside. I haven't mentioned any of the youngsters, unproven at the time and still unproven now.
Watching the game against GWS they tore us apart in transition from there back half multiple times. Perhaps part due to our set up, but our players just couldn't go with them in any meaningful way.
Our two biggest issue ATM are our forward line and speed through the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back