Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

If this is all true I can't believe how low we've sunk . I hope it's not as I would be disappointed with Dusty as he has the last year of his contract to play out on good money and it's a terrible example for all the team including senior players. Wonder what the issue is with Yze and him if true ?
This season has been a shit pie as it is, let alone this crap if true.

Don’t buy into the media tripe. I’ve heard Morris clarify that Martin doesn’t dislike Yze and there’s absolutely no rift or tension … he just hasn’t warmed to his coaching. He thinks it’s because it’s more defence focussed and harder for the forwards to find space and have freedom.

After 15-years where Martin was the ‘pea in the pod’ and could largely do whatever the feck he wanted, then it’s not surprising he’s not a huge fan of new structures and a defensive focus in the twilight of his career.

It’s just a massive beat up. There are probably a dozen Saints players who despise Saints gameplan under Ross… Phillipou’s manager even gave Ross a spray when he got dropped to VFL about how hard it was to get a kick up forward for the Saints.

Because it’s Martin it’s a big story … but it really isn’t as loads and loads of players across the league wouldn’t be fans of the coaching style they have to play under.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

His a club champion, but sorry no one is bigger then the club some people to scared to call him out. If it was any other player their view would be different. His conduct hasn't been great this year on a few things. If Morris is correct we'll very poor look. There a few of our senior blokes letting Yze down and not on the same page I would give them a choice your in or out if it's the later clean out your locker.

On over 1 million a year and he goes to NZ with back injury instead of resting and doing rehabilitation that's bs call it how it is , and I'm even more upset at the club allowing it where have the standards gone.

Do you know if Martin requested to go to NZ, or if the club encouraged him to go in order to get some clarity around his future?

Give me one thing you know as absolutely undisputed fact which Martin has been ‘guilty’ of? Not media hype, not rumour, not whispers … absolute fact.

Don’t buy into the media tripe. I’ve heard Morris clarify that Martin doesn’t dislike Yze and there’s absolutely no rift or tension … he just hasn’t warmed to his coaching. He thinks it’s because it’s more defence focussed and harder for the forwards to find space and have freedom.

After 15-years where Martin was the ‘pea in the pod’ and could largely do whatever the feck he wanted, then it’s not surprising he’s not a huge fan of new structures and a defensive focus in the twilight of his career.

It’s just a massive beat up. There are probably a dozen Saints players who despise Saints gameplan under Ross… Phillipou’s manager even gave Ross a spray when he got dropped to VFL about how hard it was to get a kick up forward for the Saints.

Because it’s Martin it’s a big story … but it really isn’t as loads and loads of players across the league wouldn’t be fans of the coaching style they have to play under.

I’m not buying into anything. I’m just sick of all of the media beat up and Dusty himself. Just come open if you’re genuine as it’s totally drama queening on both sides. The blokes on around a mil a year and he’s showboating around when he should be supporting the team and Yze. I’d love to be on a mil a year and take time off with a holiday to NZ and play golf.
Serious bullshit all of this on his behalf for a bloke of his experience. He’s a grown man and not a little kid. He should be at the club helping out our younger guys not ****ing around everywhere else. Sick of the excuses made up for this bloke now bc the club comes first and not an individual. He’s been paid well for his services.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if Martin requested to go to NZ, or if the club encouraged him to go in order to get some clarity around his future?

Give me one thing you know as absolutely undisputed fact which Martin has been ‘guilty’ of? Not media hype, not rumour, not whispers … absolute fact.

Irrelevant as he’s paid to play football. Stop the excuses as he’s behaving like Dimma in his last year.

I’m not buying into anything. I’m just sick of all of the media beat up and Dusty himself. Just come open if you’re genuine as it’s totally drama queening on both sides. The blokes on around a mil a year and he’s showboating around when he should be supporting the team and Yze. I’d love to be on a mil a year and take time off with a holiday to NZ and play golf.
Serious bullshit all of this on his behalf for a bloke of his experience.
It doesn’t matter if it’s bullshit or true , Ozou has his head turned by the muppets constantly asking about Dusty or making up stories , the club and Dusty could put an end to the nexus circus by stating one way or the other , decision paralysis

Martin leaving is best for both. And I reckon he retires
Yep, it's becoming a circus. Yze and club need to focus on our future instead of Martin.

It appears Hardwick is desperate to get Martin to join the Suns.

Last edited:
Way too much focus is placed on only 2017-2020. FFS he took over a complete basketcase of a club in 2010, who had not made finals since 2001. GWS and GC had the Lion’s share of top picks. His first 9-games were were 0-9 with a percentage of under 50%. We were being called the worst team since the Fitzroy days and there were calls for special AFL assistance.

Just 3-years later in 2013 we finished 5th with a 15-7 record and percentage of 122%. That in itself is an extraordinary coaching performance. Then we were 3-10 in 2014 before a miraculous 9-game winning streak to make finals…. again, amazing coaching to turn that season around. Then in 2015 we again finished 15-7 with a percentage of 123%.

Do you realise 2013-14 was the first time since 1974-75 we’d made back-to-back finals series …. yep, 40 bloody years !!

Of course each season ended with a disappointing finals exit, but any suggestion Dimma wasn’t a great coach and relied on his assistant is put to bed by going 42-24 in H&A across 2013-15, just 3-years after being compared to Fitzroy.

And if you need some context:

Nicks started a rebuild 5-years ago and Crows haven’t made finals and are currently 14th.

North got LDU in 2017, and 7-years and a gazillion top-5 picks later they haven’t made finals and are 2-15 and 17th.

GC have had a gazillion top draft picks and still haven’t made finals in 14-years.

Saints made finals in 2023 with a 13-10 record with one of the game’s ‘great’ coaches. Now they’re 15th.

So even if Dimma was shown the door end of 2016, he had done some amazing things to get the club into 3 consecutive finals series from 2013-15.

The 2017-20 rubber stamped him as a truly brilliant coach. I’ll be staggered if GC don’t achieve some great things during his tenure. And when they do it’ll be because he got all these academy kids etc….and he probably won’t be given due recognition. Just like at Richmond it was because of his assistants and Dusty.

But bringing sustained success to a club requires a truly great senior coach, no matter what ‘assistance’ they get along the way. History tells you this.

impressive putting that down on paper via an iphone!
i liked you post.

Martin leaving is best for both. And I reckon he retires
I’m over him and want him to go as his behaviour is destabilising to the team as well as his output when on the field.
Last thing a new coach needs is a grown man being so immature and non supportive to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m over him and want him to go as his behaviour is destabilising to the team as well as his output when on the field.
Last thing a new coach needs is a grown man being so immature and non supportive to him.
Reckon he deserves the benefit of the doubt, I cant fathom this to be true.

Reckon he deserves the benefit of the doubt, I cant fathom this to be true.
He should be at the club rather than gallivanting around in NZ. We need leadership atm and it’s like most of our leaders don’t give a damn. Where’s Grimes lately ? I’m confused with how this year has panned out as the leadership has fallen away and starting from Gale.
It’s the simple parable of when the cat’s away the mice will play.

Last edited:
Welcome to 'Offys fact of the day'.
Fact: We have not won a game with dustin in the side this year.

dud. delist. 😂
Haven't won too many without him either.

I'd expect senior players to at least try to support a new coach and set an example.

Martin probably prefers hardwick but he was never going to be our coach forever.

Serious bullshit all of this on his behalf for a bloke of his experience. He’s a grown man and not a little kid. He should be at the club helping out our younger guys not Fxxking around everywhere else. Sick of the excuses made up for this bloke now bc the club comes first and not an individual. He’s been paid well for his services.

Dusty a drama queen. Wtaf?

You have lost the plot here TI.

p.s. I'm not saying anyone blabbed. This could be another case of speculation by media with some logic being stupidly extrapolated.
I think that's exactly what it is.

Bookmark this.

TI is over Dustin Martin. This is not some other Dustin Martin, this is THE Dustin Martin, Dusty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back