Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reported on Midweek Tackle that Martinā€™s keen to return to the field for Richmond, and on Saturday even went into the club by himself to do some extra sessions.

So can anyone confirm what ā€˜evidenceā€™ they have that Martin has ā€˜checked outā€™ ā€¦?

He did the entire pre-season and looked in ripping nick - so nah, probably not checked out.

He played much of the early parts of the season whilst suffering calf soreness and other ailments, missing a week here and there to recover - so nah, probably not checked out.

He clearly battled some back issues at various stages before the Carlton game, with spasms forcing him to be subbed out of that game - injury looked genuine to me, so not checked out.

He has been at the club training, rehabbing, and doing everything as any other player would do, other than when granted time to take a few days off to visit family in NZ.

He hasnā€™t played since the Carlton game due to a lingering back issue ā€¦ when he has tried to train it hasnā€™t been right and at 33yo he hasnā€™t been able to shake the injury.

So the extent of him being ā€˜checked outā€™ and disinterested seems to be a short trip to NZ during an injury lay-off (approved and encouraged by the club), and a game of golf which itā€™s rumoured he played - which for the optics he probably shouldnā€™t have.

Does anyone else have anything more, or is jt the NZ trip and a misguided game of golf?

What else does anyone have that is backed up by facts and evidence and not media guesswork, rumours and innuendo? There must be loads of things as if he did the whole pre-season, has done every training session when physically able, has played when physically able and is doing extras on the weekends by himself at the clubā€¦. WTF is everyone going on about?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty sure itā€™s been explained to you before, but heā€™s finishing up at the end of 2024. Therefore, still in his usual role at the club, not that hard to understand, I wouldnā€™t have thought
No it hasnt, & you didnt tell me his specific role. People said he was remaining at the club till the end of the year, doing light stuff like talking to coterie groups before luncheons etc, & that due to his decline in physical & mental state, he was no longer advising, etc.

So what is his role to trust him on whatever he says?

Just reported on Midweek Tackle that Martinā€™s keen to return to the field for Richmond, and on Saturday even went into the club by himself to do some extra sessions.

So can anyone confirm what ā€˜evidenceā€™ they have that Martin has ā€˜checked outā€™ ā€¦?

He did the entire pre-season and looked in ripping nick - so nah, probably not checked out.

He played much of the early parts of the season whilst suffering calf soreness and other ailments, missing a week here and there to recover - so nah, probably not checked out.

He clearly battled some back issues at various stages before the Carlton game, with spasms forcing him to be subbed out of that game - injury looked genuine to me, so not checked out.

He has been at the club training, rehabbing, and doing everything as any other player would do, other than when granted time to take a few days off to visit family in NZ.

He hasnā€™t played since the Carlton game due to a lingering back issue ā€¦ when he has tried to train it hasnā€™t been right and at 33yo he hasnā€™t been able to shake the injury.

the eye test watching him play all year. He has looked ordinary & lackluster.

He is flying to NZ mid-season when he should be focusing on rehabbing his back injury to ensure he can play ASAP. Teams rest older players for long haul interstate games to avoid the flights for these reasons, yet he is doing the opposite - missing games & taking even longer flights.

i havent seen anything reported outside of the inner bossom of the club to suggest he is "pumped" etc.

Personally the narrative around Dusty being able ā€˜to do whatever he pleases because heā€™s given us three flagsā€™ would grind my gears if I was a current player on the list.

I reckon if you say Taranto or Hopper down in a room and said everything is off record they would say theyā€™d be pretty pissed off with how Dusty and the club are handling this.

I know itā€™s very difficult to be certain that inside the four walls without microphones that the players are being given constant updates by Dusty and everything is being crystal clear and everyone is on the same page. But if that was happening that I personally think stuff would leak out.

So the extent of him being ā€˜checked outā€™ and disinterested seems to be a short trip to NZ during an injury lay-off (approved and encouraged by the club), and a game of golf which itā€™s rumoured he played - which for the optics he probably shouldnā€™t have.

Does anyone else have anything more, or is jt the NZ trip and a misguided game of golf?

What else does anyone have that is backed up by facts and evidence and not media guesswork, rumours and innuendo? There must be loads of things as if he did the whole pre-season, has done every training session when physically able, has played when physically able and is doing extras on the weekends by himself at the clubā€¦. WTF is everyone going on about?

So if I took an overseas trip approved by work then play golf should they replace me lol. Seriously over the media becoming a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to put this one down as another problem driven by poor management.

Said last off-season, he wants out. Only reason it didnt happen last year was his massive contract. Club needed to offer him a 1-2 year extension that was generous & included a bonus at the end of contract if he retired a 1 club player. If he had not signed it by before free agency, they had to leak the details to put him & his camp in a umcomfortable, borderline intenable position to force the situationto a conclusion now, while securing the asset as a tradable piece. Otherwise, we are just going to have another 12 months of chaos & create a crap backdrop for Adem to start off his tenure.

So where are we as of today?

Instead, everyone wanted him to get to 300. Was the day worth it?

We are going to lose him for nothing. He is going to retire a Sun. And to our young group, they just watched our most influential player walk off our sinking ship & half ass his final $1,000,000+ year on his contract.

The club has honestly not made a right decision or hire since 2020.we have ballsed up every oppttunity we have had to gain a 1% here, there & everywhere
100% it was worth it! To have a Brownlow medallist, 3 time Norm smith Medallist play 300 games for our club is amazing, regardless of what he does next! Not that many play 300 for the one club, especially with his CV!

the eye test watching him play all year. He has looked ordinary & lackluster.

He is flying to NZ mid-season when he should be focusing on rehabbing his back injury to ensure he can play ASAP. Teams rest older players for long haul interstate games to avoid the flights for these reasons, yet he is doing the opposite - missing games & taking even longer flights.

i havent seen anything reported outside of the inner bossom of the club to suggest he is "pumped" etc.
Seriously mate, you remind me of Basil Fawlty.
I reckon a few other posters think this way as well or have you on ignore :rolleyes:

Personally the narrative around Dusty being able ā€˜to do whatever he pleases because heā€™s given us three flagsā€™ would grind my gears if I was a current player on the list.

I reckon if you say Taranto or Hopper down in a room and said everything is off record they would say theyā€™d be pretty pissed off with how Dusty and the club are handling this.

I know itā€™s very difficult to be certain that inside the four walls without microphones that the players are being given constant updates by Dusty and everything is being crystal clear and everyone is on the same page. But if that was happening that I personally think stuff would leak out.

if the presumption he is doing the wrong thing is true then yes BUT
really has there been anything wrong other than media spinning rubbish about him as normal

I havenā€™t really read or listened to anything about this but has the focus been on Dusty playing golf whilst out with a back injury rather than just playing golf when he should be at work.

I donā€™t know about you but golf ainā€™t exactly the sport Iā€™d be playing if I had a back injury. So itā€™s either irresponsible by Dusty in his recovery or there is no back injury.

I havenā€™t really read or listened to anything about this but has the focus been on Dusty playing golf whilst out with a back injury rather than just playing golf when he should be at work.

I donā€™t know about you but golf ainā€™t exactly the sport Iā€™d be playing if I had a back injury. So itā€™s either irresponsible by Dusty in his recovery or there is no back injury.
If he seriously had a bad back you couldnā€™t swing the golf club. Well known golf can put some serious strain on your back.
Maybe the back isnā€™t as bad and you just wasnā€™t thinking when he decided to go for a hit.
All speculation really but not smart from Dusty

It's really driven by your classic three negative flogs Barrett, Cornes and McLure.
There needs to be a clear delineation between Journalists and editorialists. Hutchy called Mclure out for just trying to justify his "Dusty to Gold Coast" story on Footy Classified. I wish Hutchy gave less of a shit and really hammered into his colleagues because he has the wealth and power to do so.

Balmey needs a statue in his honor at punt rd,fair dinkum i remember the bloke from the early-mid 70's,his contribution
and influence down there is/has been ginourmos,over 50 years,its astonishing when ya reflect on it,sure he had time out in Adelaide,coached sheemons then cut his teeth elsewhere as an administrator then comes back n helps deliver 3,living legend

Sure sounds like he is out the door. irrelevant of what his friends & colleagues say, i think its really disappointing he is likely not going go retire a 1 club legend. We paid him enough to do that, we supported him enough to do that & gave him unparralled freedoms to that. The club couldnt have done more for him & its just crap to ignore that reality.

If Dew was coaching the Suns, would he be going? So is he leaving us to take on 'a new challenge', or is he leaving Richmond to go play for Dimma.

Club is always bigger than the individual. The fact players are wanting to leave the club to reunite with Dimma is a big concern to me. I cant recall a bigger club legend who had achieved every goal u could ever imagine leaving their club willingly to spen 1 or 2 years playing somewhere else. Its what "flag chasers" do, not 3 time P/ship players who have been "paid"

Outside of the draft pick we will get when this season ends, its been a pretty wasted year. Lets hope we strike gold in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back