Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

What a ride.

A young powerhouse during the early days. 2010-2013

Match winner for us across 14-16.

God tier 2017-2020 + you’d also almost throw in 2023 (underrated season in my opinion)

Can’t wait to sit back and watch all his highlights.

Thank you Dusty 💛🖤
What a ride indeed! 💛🖤

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin retires after 302 AFL games​

After 302 AFL games, three premierships, three Norm Smith Medals and a Brownlow, Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has called time on his playing career.
Mark Robinson Mark Robinson

August 6, 2024 - 10:48AM
News Sport Network
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../331cf24f8995ba34a450eb50108219b8#share-tools
dc8c1d92a6a27564623470d6596e2fa5

Dustin Martin has announced his retirement.

The Richmond champion and three-time Norm Smith medallist told his teammates at Punt Rd this morning.
The 33 year old played 302 games for Richmond after being the third selection in the 2009 draft, including 13 matches this year.

He played his 300th game in front of 92,311 at the MCG against Hawthorn in round 14, kicking the opening goal of the game.

Dustin Martin is chaired off after game 300. Picture: Michael Klein

Dustin Martin is chaired off after game 300. Picture: Michael Klein

“It is hard to put into words what the Richmond Football Club means to me, I love this place so much,” Martin said.
“I will be forever grateful for the love and the support I have received from the people here.
“To my teammates, the brotherhood that we all share is what I value most as well as the bond with the staff and coaches… thank you to all of you.

“To my family and friends thank you for your unconditional love and support.
“To the Tiger Army, I have always felt so loved and supported throughout my career and for that I will be forever grateful. The memories that we have created together will live with me forever. Thank you.”

Martin celebrates during the 2019 grand final. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Dodge

Martin celebrates during the 2019 grand final. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Dodge

ddaae29a6ecc34d854d879350cf49c04

HERALDSUN.COM.AU01:55

Dustin Martin 300 games in pictures​

Watch Dustin Martin's journey to 300 games in pictures.

Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale said it’s hard to put into words the contribution Martin has made to the club and legacy he will leave at Punt Rd.

“So much has been said about Dustin’s impact on our club and the competition, but more than anything, and put simply, I think it is the joy that he gave the Tiger Army and those around him that might mean the most,” Gale said.
“Three premierships and best on ground in each of them will always be his legend, and rightly, it, along with his unique aura, will be what he is best remembered for.

“But I think Dustin would be most proud of what he was able to achieve playing for a team… for our team – and the magnificent role he was able to play within that system, which let him be every bit the footballing genius that he was always destined to be.

“That genius was most evident when the stakes were at their highest, when the crowd was at its loudest, when all eyes were on him, and when the moments needed a hero.

“Dustin did it his way, and we are all just so lucky to have been Richmond people during his era of dominance. So, all I can say on behalf of everyone associated with our great club is thank you to an icon. To our icon.”

e0b1ab18e999a99652bd9ffcf267f905

HERALDSUN.COM.AU00:12

AFL Grand Final 2020: Dusty steals the show with a minute left​

Dustin Martin capped off a freakish best-on-ground-performance with his fourth goal as the Tigers ramped up their celebrations after a hard fought 31-point win.

WHAT DO YOU MOST ADMIRE ABOUT DUSTIN MARTIN?​

Jason Dunstall: The ability to inspire those around him. To handle the moment and to make that moment his.

Brendon Gale: His strength and composure allows him to see a range of options, pick the best one and bring players into the game. He makes players and teams better. To me that is his most enduring attribute and it has been consistently displayed in the biggest games on the biggest stages.

John Longmire: If not the best, close to the best, one-v-one player I’ve seen. If an opponent was able to get a neutral result out of any contest, we’d celebrate like it was the biggest win of the day. Unstoppable when on.
Mick Malthouse: Never seen him complain or question an umpire’s decision or a poor delivery from a teammate. He just gets on with it and quietly celebrates a teammate’s success.

Wayne Carey: Champion. Match winner not an accumulator.

Mark Williams: He is humble, caring, driven and once in the Family ALWAYS in the Family.

paragraphimage-0_N3nhYfpWw.jpg

James Hird: His greatest qualities are his power and poise under pressure and his ability to perform in big games. His connection with Richmond fans is as strong as any player I’ve seen with a group of supporters.

Chris Scott: The obvious answer is how good he was in the big games and in the big moments. I admire that, but the bit I like most is that he seemed to do it on his terms. He was the best player in the game when players were expected to give more of their private lives. He resisted.

Tony Shaw: No player in AFL/VFL history has performed on the biggest stage as Dusty has. To achieve what he has in a very unconventional manner has been both refreshing and intriguing. Welcome to the 300 club.

Gill McLachlan: Maybe the greatest clutch player ever, who was consistently a gentle, polite man who I liked very much.

Shane Crawford: What a player – SUPERSTAR. Dusty’s been an absolute joy to watch. He has to be the best big-game player to have played. His Brownlow year, 2017, was the highest level of performance I’ve seen from a player week-in, week-out, not to mention the grand finals. Go easy on my Hawks this week, please Dusty. Well played.

Tony Lockett: One of the best I’ve seen. Great to watch.

Mark Thompson: Dusty has the ability very few men can perform and that is to blow the game apart for a period of time, where the opposition can’t stop him winning crucial contests and apply scoreboard pressure. Once or twice could be luck but Dustin has performed this on too many occasions for it to be luck. He’s been great for Richmond and great for the AFL but not so good for opposition coaches or the poor buggers who had to play on him when he turned it on.

Stephen Silvagni: His ability to perform at the highest level consistently and more importantly to do it on the days that matters most. Three premierships and three Norm Smith Medals says it all.

Ross Lyon: He is the greatest grand final performer of the modern era. Delivered acts of power and skill under the fiercest heat in big moments to help propel his team to greatness. Withstanding that, he is one of the most humble and caring players I have encountered off the field.

Chris Judd: The thing I admire most about him is his ability to internalise pressure and produce in big moments. Best big game/moment player I’ve seen.

paragraphimage-1_xuMCKbzO98.jpg

Mark Ricciuto: Our whole family loves Dusty. The way he plays, his fend-offs, his goals, his performance in big games, and we like him because he is quiet and just lets his footy do the talking. My boys have his haircut. Rocco even barracked for Richmond and had the No.4 on his back and to top it off we named our cat Dusty!

Greg Williams: The kid from Castlemaine. I didn’t think he would be a star, he had too many tattoos for my liking. But how wrong I was. The fend, great kick, kicked huge goals when needed. And he was a great mark one-v-one. Dusty only won one Brownlow, and with 36 votes. Wow! Oh, I nearly forgot, a three-time Norm Smith medallist. Get your head around that. Impossible, but not for Martin.

Kevin Bartlett: Dustin’s ability to play well in big games makes him a modern-day great. He played a major role in lifting the spirits of the Tiger army, winning premierships after a 37- year drought. That brought enormous enjoyment to fans. Three hundred games is a wonderful milestone for a wonderfully dedicated player achieving excellence.

Ken Hinkley: There’s nothing better than watching big-game players and Dusty is as good a big-game player we have seen. Three Norm Smiths … no need to say anymore. Freak.

Stephen Kernahan: Always loved the ‘Don’t Argue’ and I think it’s fair to say Dusty performed pretty well in September! What a star!

Simon Black: His will & ability to drag his team with him has been quite something. The big games and big moments you sense he just relishes and he comes into his own. I love how he wins and uses the ball so well through the middle of the ground and then goes forward, like not many, to take contested marks, snap brilliant goals and have an enormous impact for his team. I’ve admired him greatly.

Mike Sheahan: Leigh Matthews picked his three best players of the 21st century last weekend and didn’t include Dusty. It was one of those rare occasions I remember thinking Leigh had missed the mark. Dusty has captured the hearts of everyone at Tigerland and the admiration of the rest of us. He is a genuine champion … in my best three in yellow and black post the Captain Blood era. They are Bartlett, Hart and Martin … that’s in alphabetical order.

Dane Swan: His loyalty to his family, friends and football club is what I admire the most. He has never once worried about external views on himself but only cared about helping his team win and helping/seeing his family and friends do well in life.

Kevin Sheedy: Watching Dusty Martin is why AFL is the greatest game on the planet. The coolness of Federer, the skills of Ronaldo and the knockout punch of Ali.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back