#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

We have to remember that not all players have to be superstars. He clearly plays a selfless role, is loved by his teammates, has committed long-term without a huge contract and will work his ass off to try and ensure he is best 22.

I like him but unfortunately I reckon he is a prime candidate to be traded to the Gold Coast where he can get a game consistently.

We refused to trade him to Essendon last year so not sure about that. Club must rate him internally.
Think it's pretty obvious that you wouldn't find many guys as good as him that are willing to take what he takes for a salary and loves the club. You'd trade a Salem or Brayshaw who are probably on alot for not a lot of out put.

We refused to trade him to Essendon last year so not sure about that. Club must rate him internally.
Wasn't the actual reason due to Brad Scott not actually turning up to a meeting with Harmes which was organised by Josh Mahoney the reason why the trade didn't go through?? I thought thr club have him the green light to look for better opportunities?

Unless I have this mixed up with someone else...

Wasn't the actual reason due to Brad Scott not actually turning up to a meeting with Harmes which was organised by Josh Mahoney the reason why the trade didn't go through?? I thought thr club have him the green light to look for better opportunities?

Unless I have this mixed up with someone else...

I thought we refused, but that’d be hilarious.

To trade a player they have to agree to be traded. Harmes was exploring an option with Essendon last year and if he has another year where he's struggling to get a game he'd be crazy not to go somewhere where he can be first 22. That's why he's likely to be traded.

From the club's point of view he's exactly the type of player sitting outside the best 22 who, while they're decent as depth and has given good service over the years, you have to turn over to make room on your list for draftees and trades.

I thought we refused, but that’d be hilarious.
Both were true. Scott was unavailable (rather than failing to show up), and then Melbourne shut it down after that point.

Article indicates Harmes was the initiator wanting more midfield minutes. He didn’t set the world on fire in his midfield stints so far this year. If, as I suspect he will be, he’s a fringe best 22 this year it’s hard to see him not pushing for another trade.

Wouldn’t surprise if the wheels are already in motion.

It could be a win-win-win. Harmes gets more midfield time, other club gets an experienced best 22, Melbourne gets some salary cap relief and maybe a 3rd rounder to help with a F/S bid on Brown or to package into another deal.

Sounds like he’s going through some s**t. Hopefully once he comes back he’s in a better place. There’s a good footballer in there.

Both were true. Scott was unavailable (rather than failing to show up), and then Melbourne shut it down after that point.

Article indicates Harmes was the initiator wanting more midfield minutes. He didn’t set the world on fire in his midfield stints so far this year. If, as I suspect he will be, he’s a fringe best 22 this year it’s hard to see him not pushing for another trade.

Wouldn’t surprise if the wheels are already in motion.

It could be a win-win-win. Harmes gets more midfield time, other club gets an experienced best 22, Melbourne gets some salary cap relief and maybe a 3rd rounder to help with a F/S bid on Brown or to package into another deal.

Harmesy wasn't keen to go, and the club wasn't trying to get rid of him, but he was absolutely feeling out other opportunities to see what was out there. The Scott rumour has gotten overblown from what I've heard - it was more just that Harmes and his management had initial discussions with Essendon and it didn't make it as far as meetings with the coach etc.
It's a complicated one - He's VERY involved at the club and is absolutely loved by the playing group, but Goody just isn't much of a fan. Whether that's fair enough or not you can understand how Harmes could be frustrated and has had chats with other clubs just to feel it out.

Personally, with our current draft hand and the renewed eagerness to actually use our depth; I don't see Harmes being traded this year unless he requests it and pushes it hard.

At his best I reckon there's a spot for him in our side, and I feel better knowing he's in a game in case we start getting absolutely rinsed by an opposition player. Still might be our best tagger, we just don't use him (or anyone) in that role. I do wonder if Goody would use him to shut down a player if we needed to in a final, or whether he'd back our system or whatever.

At his best I reckon there's a spot for him in our side, and I feel better knowing he's in a game in case we start getting absolutely rinsed by an opposition player. Still might be our best tagger, we just don't use him (or anyone) in that role. I do wonder if Goody would use him to shut down a player if we needed to in a final, or whether he'd back our system or whatever.
Definitely. If he plays a role well there's definitely a place for him. Crows showed last night there's still a place for taggers. The job they did on Saad was great! No reason why Harmes can't do that role. He just hasn't looked like finding form or taking a scalp for awhile now.

Definitely. If he plays a role well there's definitely a place for him. Crows showed last night there's still a place for taggers. The job they did on Saad was great! No reason why Harmes can't do that role. He just hasn't looked like finding form or taking a scalp for awhile now.
Could be a good move as a defensive forward to shut down a dangerous oppo HB. Can still hurt them the other way and find the ball/goals himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a good move as a defensive forward to shut down a dangerous oppo HB. Can still hurt them the other way and find the ball/goals himself.
When Harmes came onto the scene, he looked most dangerous as a forward. Scoring off turnover from half back is so important these days. So the good ball users and playmakers in the back half are vitally important. Harmes playing a defensive role in our F50 could be a good move. Could be more beneficial to the side than what Sparrow brings?

When Harmes came onto the scene, he looked most dangerous as a forward. Scoring off turnover from half back is so important these days. So the good ball users and playmakers in the back half are vitally important. Harmes playing a defensive role in our F50 could be a good move. Could be more beneficial to the side than what Sparrow brings?
Could be.

I think the primary stat for our half forwards is work rate. If you can't get back to fill space, pressure the oppo backs/mids on transition, then get forward to link up, provide options, crumb the long and high kicks, then you don't get picked.

If you can do that kind of running, then and only then will our selection panel consider if you can kick/mark/left hand handball etc

Still having personal issues or is he just generally cooked?

Shame, because he was a solid B grader for a while. Might fade into obscurity very soon though.

Doesn't seem to be a position in the best 22 for him anymore. If he can't force his way back into the team then maybe he looks for a trade end of the year because he probably would be a best 22 mid for another side in need

Doesn't seem to be a position in the best 22 for him anymore. If he can't force his way back into the team then maybe he looks for a trade end of the year because he probably would be a best 22 mid for another side in need

Would he be best 22 elsewhere though? Can't get ahead of Sparrow or Jordan for a spot.

He should be ahead of Jordon, but for some reason we keep giving him games and expecting his speed, mental and physical, to magically improve.
Tbh Harmes has looked cooked every game he's played this year. Jordon is rightly ahead of him at the moment but it just goes to show how shallow our midfield is.

Tbh Harmes has looked cooked every game he's played this year. Jordon is rightly ahead of him at the moment but it just goes to show how shallow our midfield is.

Harmes senior form has been a mess, that's for sure. No idea if that's connected with his personal leave. I have 0 doubt though that Harmes is a better player, in the context of our midfield, than Jordon is though.

27 disposals, 10 tackles and five clearances for Casey on Friday, I'd absolutely get him in this week and drop Jordon. Get Oliver back in and Harmes, perhaps as sub, and all of a sudden we're not quite so stodgy in the middle. I believe our lack of run and dare in the middle is one of our biggest problems atm.

Apparently we have the best midfield in the comp
Trouble is mainly the drop off after our top 3 and the fact that all our guys play the same way. We're a woefully imbalanced midfield for how the game is going. If Sparrow became the player he promised to be in 21 it wouldn't be so bad but we really need to get some young guys in who can play a different role to Trac, Oliver and Viney and actually compliment our contest game.

I don't think we're any chance in hell of getting pick 1 of West Coast even if Freo lost every game from here. West Coast didn't even want to give up pick 2 last year for Jackson and they will probably have a new coach come in next year who can afford to play it safe kicking off a full rebuild.

Had the same chat on the Draft and trading thread but as far as I see it our options are basically go to the draft with what we've got, try to get in on a potential GWS trade for pick 1 (unlikely), get some value helping Gold Coast get their picks for their academy blokes (this seems like the kind of move we'd make).

Trouble is mainly the drop off after our top 3 and the fact that all our guys play the same way. We're a woefully imbalanced midfield for how the game is going. If Sparrow became the player he promised to be in 21 it wouldn't be so bad but we really need to get some young guys in who can play a different role to Trac, Oliver and Viney and actually compliment our contest game.

I don't think we're any chance in hell of getting pick 1 of West Coast even if Freo lost every game from here. West Coast didn't even want to give up pick 2 last year for Jackson and they will probably have a new coach come in next year who can afford to play it safe kicking off a full rebuild.

Had the same chat on the Draft and trading thread but as far as I see it our options are basically go to the draft with what we've got, try to get in on a potential GWS trade for pick 1 (unlikely), get some value helping Gold Coast get their picks for their academy blokes (this seems like the kind of move we'd make).
Yeah our midfield sucks. None of them can drift forward and take a mark and kick a goal, none of them are beautiful ball users inside 50 they all just wanna win contested footy and get high disposal numbers.

I agree we have to get in on the side deals. Try to win by helping someone else get pick one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back