#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Im assuming Harmes' endurance is pretty good as he seems to get goals from running hard and getting on the end of the chain of play right in front of the goals. Lots of potential.

Interesting insight from the article that discussed how he really had to amp up his professionalism after an honest talk with the coaching staff.

Obviously midfield spots are hard to come by atm but you wonder about guys like ANB whether they're just not fully rounded yet in terms of their preparation and attitude etc. Obviously I don't know but it would perhaps be one reason why we see guys apparently playing well at Casey but seemingly not being on the coaches radar; and conversely how others hold their spots in the senior side even after a quiet game.

Harmsey comes across as a real cult hero. The Sleeve, paired with the blond hair, the Horse.
Lets get around him
The kid who grew up barracking for MFC, came through the hard way on the rookie list. Cult Hero for sure

Might just be me, but I reckon Harmes is quickly becoming very dispensable. His kicking is average, his handballing is deplorable, and the pack marking + gut running we saw last season appears to be too much effort. Not best 22, IMO.

Might just be me, but I reckon Harmes is quickly becoming very dispensable. His kicking is average, his handballing is deplorable, and the pack marking + gut running we saw last season appears to be too much effort. Not best 22, IMO.

His disposal is killing us. Wins the ball fine but turns it over under no pressure.

He is in the same boat as Bugg and a few others in that they'll get pushed out if we keep improving and they don't.

Well I beg to differ with both of you. He was averaging over a goal a game to start the year, then lost a bit of form so was sent back to Casey to work on his game. Dominated there then has played a new role from half back and done it well. I don't recall his disposal 'killing us' at all on the weekend or against the Crows.

I'm not sure if he's in the same league as some of our other youngsters but to call a kid making a good fist of it in his second year as 'dispensable' is a bridge too far. The blokes who just offered him a 2-year extension obviously disagree too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the Harmes story, but I could see Gus Brayshaw come in over the coming weeks and play his role with better flexibility, ie ability to kick on both sides streaming out of half back.

His kicking was shit on the weekend but if you re-watch the game he did a alot of nice things by hand in congestion.

Harmes has suffered from Watts becoming good .. we are a 2 pronged attack now where as he was a bit of a target last year
He will stay on the list, you basically need a squad of 30 these days with concussion and the way they rotate squads and he is a pretty decent option who is now learning some trade down back
He's probably one of the last picked but compare him to Dan Nicholson or someone like that and he's a decent bottom 6 player

He's valuable as well because he can kick a goal which is a skill our players are still short of
The good teams have their HBF drift forward and kick goals and ours don't which might be why he is playing behind the footy aswell

Have a look at the metres carried stat for Harmes the last two weeks. He's an important part of our side now. We've finally some offensive backs.

The board would be froffing over Harmes if he was a pick 8
Hold on a mo - whooooaaaa boy!!!

I know what you are doing here. You are angling for a fight with 'the board' (whoever that might be) over 'their' judgement of Harmes.

Harmes is doing fine.

Geeeez us posters on here are a negative bunch. So quick to say player X is no good, can't kick, slow etc. Have some faith in our players we aren't the rabble of 2012-2013 anymore were we need to turn over 10-12 players in an off season. We need to more than just a best 22.

By the way some posters have looked quite foolish on this board in the past for writing off players to quickly. Nothing wrong with giving blokes 3-4 years to develop. For mine Harmes has shown a lot more to be excited about than worried about.

Hold on a mo - whooooaaaa boy!!!

I know what you are doing here. You are angling for a fight with 'the board' (whoever that might be) over 'their' judgement of Harmes.

Harmes is doing fine.

Harmes has enough tools to be a good player at melbourne for a long time if developed properly and he works hard
My point was our board has a tendency to only see the good in high picks early and only see the bad in low picks early

Remove this Banner Ad

#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back