Past #40: Alan Obst - drafted by Crows in '05 - delisted end 06 - drafted by NM '08 RD - delisted end '10

Remove this Banner Ad

You expected 2 rookies to have a big year for the club?

Obst started to do the hauling as part of his recovery, to build up strength, he aggravated his injury, people often get hurt trying to get back from injury.

With Thompson, Grima, Hansen and now Tarrant they would only be likely of scoring a game if a couple of these guys got injured.

Obst is a good state-level footballer. Good on him for adding a few AFL games to his career. But let's hope we are going well enough this year that we don't need him to add any more.

Obst started to do the hauling as part of his recovery, to build up strength, he aggravated his injury, people often get hurt trying to get back from injury.

With Thompson, Grima, Hansen and now Tarrant they would only be likely of scoring a game if a couple of these guys got injured.

I did I was a big wrap for Delaney in paticular when he came to the club his tac record was pretty good then he had a shoulder injury early last year and thought he would come on strongly in the preseason .
Obst was very good in his games last year and thought given some confidence from that he might keep going . Both are a size of player we need if they can improve we will be stronger.

Obst is a good state-level footballer. Good on him for adding a few AFL games to his career. But let's hope we are going well enough this year that we don't need him to add any more.

Scott thompson was a good state level player. Grima was a good state level player

I agree on Delaney, plent of potential. I watched a Werribee match with he and Grima in it last year and to be quite honest, Delaney impressed me more based on that match alone. Obviously Grima has taken his game to a new level and is playing solid-good football at AFL level now, but he's also a few years older than Delaney.

I think Delaney won't debut this year unless injuries run rampant, but 2011 could be his year.

Last time I saw Obst down at Arden St he had grown a beard

Whats with that?

2287975280_014a8c548d.jpg

Last time I saw Obst down at Arden St he had grown a beard

Whats with that?

2287975280_014a8c548d.jpg

This might just create a new nickname, Alan 'bastard' Obst.;)

Whats the use of beating round the bush - it is self-explantory. He cant kick, lacks co-ordination and awareness and wont be on our list next year.

Whats the use of beating round the bush - it is self-explantory. He cant kick, lacks co-ordination and awareness and wont be on our list next year.

Ok, so that's your explanation for such a harsh assessment. Whilst I disagree, it's much better to see an explanation attached. Otherwise it's akin to "Hansen = Dud!". Anyway, I prefer to lay off knocking players trying to fight their way back from injury, but that's me. Kicking them whilst they're down is too easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a sec I thought you just didn't like him for no apparent reason, it is good to see you don't like him enough to fabricate reasons for not liking him.

He had a disposal efficiency of 100% vs St Kilda and 89% against Port, he is completely useless.

I have said before that I thought Obst was quite limited and would struggle to stay on the list for 2010, but I was quite impressed from what I saw late in the year. He gives 100% every time, is big, strong and athletic and does more with the ball than I initially thought he could. Not a bad back up to have and could possibly be used as a big bodied midfielder/tagger as he is quite fit too. He would be a great matchup for a Goodes or Goddard type I reckon.

Delaney could be a handy option for a back up full back, but with Thompson and Grima there, and both being able to create as well as negate, his options may be limited. I look forward to watching his development in 2010.

I have said before that I thought Obst was quite limited and would struggle to stay on the list for 2010, but I was quite impressed from what I saw late in the year. He gives 100% every time, is big, strong and athletic and does more with the ball than I initially thought he could. Not a bad back up to have and could possibly be used as a big bodied midfielder/tagger as he is quite fit too. He would be a great matchup for a Goodes or Goddard type I reckon.

Delaney could be a handy option for a back up full back, but with Thompson and Grima there, and both being able to create as well as negate, his options may be limited. I look forward to watching his development in 2010.

Tbh, I just like the way he kills ****'s.

Torn quad! Not a simple recovery. Hopefully back to full training late March or early April, but of course, that depends on the healing process.

To the people knocking Obba. What's the point? He isn't taking your favourite player's spot FFS! If he's good enough, he'll get games and another contract. If he isn't, then he'll be gone. Not exactly clogging our list at the moment, as a mature age rookie.

Some people form an opinion of a player, and spend years justifying it by bagging them mercilessly. Grow up!

I get aggravated at the number of 'supporters' (look that word up guys, you may be shocked) that bag players before we've played a game! No one on the list has cost us a game or looked totally out of place yet. At least wait until after the round 1 game.

He had a disposal efficiency of 100% vs St Kilda and 89% against Port, he is completely useless.

Bit irrelevant when four of his five kicks against St Kilda were sideways/backwards, around 30m and under no pressure.

Unfortunately Shinbones, he is no Thompson/Grima. I don't hate the bloke, I just don't think he is good enough. That's life, most footballers aren't.

Honestly Zvim, the way you carry on some times I get the opinion that you think the rookie list is a completely pointless exercise.

The only form line that matters is the AFL form line.

Obst was very satisfactory in the two matches he played last season.

No reason he couldn't do that for another 150 games, IF he gets the opportunity.

Obst was very satisfactory in the two matches he played last season.

This is where I disagree with a lot of people on this board and I reckon there's been a bit of a myth perpetuated about how good he actually was. I didn't think he was satisfactory in those games and I detailed why on here at the time.

This is where I disagree with a lot of people on this board and I reckon there's been a bit of a myth perpetuated about how good he actually was. I didn't think he was satisfactory in those games and I detailed why on here at the time.

Feel free to link it.

No one is stating that he is a world beater, but he is a very good lock down player, has excellent aggression and determination, is excellent beneath his knees, defensively good overhead and despite his awkward style, he is an adequate user of the ball.

He would be Hawthorns starting full back.

......and Firrito, McMahon, Adams & Campbell were rookies.:rolleyes:

So were Josh Gibson, Ed Lower and Nick Gill.

But what has that got to do with Obst? He won't play as many games as any of them.

So were Josh Gibson, Ed Lower and Nick Gill.

But what has that got to do with Obst? He won't play as many games as any of them.

That is easy to state when he is back in the queue.

It all depends on a spot becoming open. If it did then it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him nail down a spot based on what I have seen from him.

Excellent list player, and I like the thought of hard bodied bloke ready to go, instead of some kid we picked up with pick 111 that would take years to develop..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back