Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Your opinion dude, just like mine, hes a priority signing

Not suggesting he isn’t as he could develop into something decent. The “about to explode” stuff that continually gets thrown up though is overs in my opinion. Not many players “explode” and he is a good long term development prospect but he’s not going to be a superstar of the game.

Last edited:
I've seen enough of Garth to say his best is VFL level and our 2nd 1st round pick we could take best available KPB as a replacement. I'd be confident a 1st year kid at that pick would have a lot more upside and if the kid had some size, wouldn't need 2-3 years of development. Garth will be 24 next year. Not sure on Miller's contract but if he is out of contract I'd offer him a rookie contract as the depth as he's not coming on as hoped.
But we need a Sam Taylor type and that'll take a high pick to raise the success likelihood (assuming there is one available).
All my opinion of course, but I don't see any close to above average traits let alone elite.
I reckon Biggy has some serious potential, so he could be that player that replaces Garthwaite, the emergency when half the backline is missing until he gets some more footy into him. Would not be surprised to see him come back next season looking like an AFL CHB. Agree on Miller, rookie to see what he can do and as backup.

CCJ should be a big part of Richmond going forward. He is a competitor, whatever weaknesses people think he has he needs to get the opportunities as there is serious talent there. It is one less position to worry about and we can focus on the midfield and KPD in the draft. We basically got beaten by a team of 15 midfielders on the weekend.

Not suggesting he isn’t as he could develop into something decent. The “about to explode” stuff that continually gets thrown up though is overs in my opinion. Not many players “explode” and he is a good long term development prospect but he’s not going to be a superstar of the game.

Haven’t seen the explode calls but he is a goal kicking ruck who can take a pack mark. Sure we will see his value when supposed clubs start calling in the trade period.

SA under 18 Captain
Under 18 AA
Was touted as a top 10 pick before knee injury.
Can mark
Can ruck
Can kick goals
Good at ground level
Just turned 22

If I was a club recruiter then I'd be all over this bloke.
We should be all over him, hes a richmond player at the end of the day. Pay the man and give him opportunity with chol out the door.

Great news! Would've preferred him to come out and say 'I want to stay at Richmond because I love the club' but I'll take other clubs no longer wanting him as a win too, I guess.
Other club may no longer be interested BECAUSE he, through his manager told them he doesn't want to go anywhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to keep CCJ has been pretty solid for us this year and a pretty good kick for goal. Not sure if I’m comfortable for him as a Jack replacement though. CCJ and Lynch in our forward line would be very slow and lumbering. Jack ain’t the quickest ever but he’s very crafty and can fly well for the ball. Would really love to see Lynch paired up long term with a tall forward who is more mobile than CCJ

Happy to keep CCJ has been pretty solid for us this year and a pretty good kick for goal. Not sure if I’m comfortable for him as a Jack replacement though. CCJ and Lynch in our forward line would be very slow and lumbering. Jack ain’t the quickest ever but he’s very crafty and can fly well for the ball. Would really love to see Lynch paired up long term with a tall forward who is more mobile than CCJ
I think CJ, Lynch and Jack works if CJ is being used as the second ruck.

I'm not sure about what happens when Jack is gone and we want Soldo in the side. Lynch and CJ up forward with Nank and Soldo in the ruck is probably too top heavy.

Purely an opinion piece with no substance to back it up or comments from anybody with credibility = Click bait

Id like Cj to sign but its concerning with Macca/George/Dow signing yet not Cj contract ? Think he will be gone but hope not
Rather we lost Chol i think

Purely an opinion piece with no substance to back it up or comments from anybody with credibility = Click bait

Id like Cj to sign but its concerning with Macca/George/Dow signing yet not Cj contract ? Think he will be gone but hope not
Rather we lost Chol i think

McIntosh and Castagna are totally exposed quantities so working out their value for the club is an easy and already pre-determined exercise.

Dow would be on some sort of a standard deal for a 2 year player with promise moving to his second contract.

Coleman-Jones contract value would be fluctuating by the game almost and there is still a match to go in the season. Maybe he fancies his chances of playing a blinder to boost him a bit.

I don’t think we can read too much into him not signing yet, either way.

I think CJ, Lynch and Jack works if CJ is being used as the second ruck.

I'm not sure about what happens when Jack is gone and we want Soldo in the side. Lynch and CJ up forward with Nank and Soldo in the ruck is probably too top heavy.

I know what youre saying, but one would quite possibly be on the bench , ie nank and soldo swapping off the interchange so it might be possible

McIntosh and Castagna are totally exposed quantities so working out their value for the club is an easy and already pre-determined exercise.

Dow would be on some sort of a standard deal for a 2 year player with promise moving to his second contract.

Coleman-Jones contract value would be fluctuating by the game almost and there is still a match to go in the season. Maybe he fancies his chances of playing a blinder to boost him a bit.

I don’t think we can read too much into him not signing yet, either way.

Going to be very interesting to see how we juggle the ruck duties this weekend.

FWIW, I was sceptical about the clubs CCJ was linked to earlier in the year, I just couldn't see who he was going to leapfrog from their current lists to be offered first crack at a guaranteed 22 games a year. Seemed very much like he'd be in the same situation he was/is with us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back