Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

GibbonsFeb8.jpg

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/blues-sign-gibbons-and-cottrell

CARLTON Football Club is delighted to announce the signings of Michael Gibbons as a rookie for the 2019 AFL season.
Gibbons’ story has been well-documented, with the versatile midfield-forward spending the last five years as a consistent, standout performer for Williamstown in the VFL.

In that time, the 23-year-old became a dual J.J Liston Medal winner and Norm Goss Medallist in the Seagulls’ 2015 premiership win.
A natural ball-winner with great athletic ability and a supreme hunger for the contest, Gibbons has also been named in the VFL Team of the Year in each of the last three seasons.

Gibbons on GuesSEN

Audio ...
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=331832

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/02/13/i-only-had-one-shot-at-it-and-i-gave-it-everything-gibbons/

“I only had one shot at it so I gave it everything and tried to impress as quickly as I could,” Gibbons told SEN Breakfast.

“If I can get one game throughout the year I’ll be absolutely stoked and from there I’ll be able to set myself and have an understanding of where I can get to.
“It’s a dream job.”

Great story and I'm thrilled we've given him a shot but I'm not yet sold on him long-term.

When we picked him up I raised concerns as to whether his game would translate to AFL level - he's not quick nor particularly damaging by foot.

And I still have those concerns, but even more so that we're not doing him any favors by playing him in an unfamiliar position.

He's giving everything he's got - and I had no concerns that he wouldn't - but the next few months are huge for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think concerns on him are fair enough, there's plenty of Nick Grahams out there that dominate VFL but struggle long term to translate their game to AFL level. Time will tell, though hopefully he plays more his actual position.

But I'm hoping he can become our Kane Lambert.

I think concerns on him are fair enough, there's plenty of Nick Grahams out there that dominate VFL but struggle long term to translate their game to AFL level. Time will tell, though hopefully he plays more his actual position.

But I'm hoping he can become our Kane Lambert.
He won't, but he's certainly an upgrade on Graham.

I rate this guy highly. No Cripps but leave him in the middle and he will get 25-30 every week and use it well. Smart and will create and will go under the radar. With our young group I hope we use him more and more in his best position. Underrated
IMO, he showed heaps last week. Can find the ball and use it smartly. Showed exactly where he should be played, between the arcs and only odd times up forward. However, our midfield is going to be very strong, sooner than later so when Stocker and Cuningham regularly play, he is no certainty to play, but I already trust when he does he will give his all.

IMO, he showed heaps last week. Can find the ball and use it smartly. Showed exactly where he should be played, between the arcs and only odd times up forward. However, our midfield is going to be very strong, sooner than later so when Stocker and Cuningham regularly play, he is no certainty to play, but I already trust when he does he will give his all.
Spot on. He had a really good showing against the pies as well. When the baggers were rampant we had number of players that weren't guaranteed a game each week. Our mosquito fleet had a revolving door. Any on of them could slot in and make a real contribution and on a given day be absolutely brilliant.

Gibbons has now kicked goals in 8 of his last 10 games, averaging 1.2 per game.

I called him a scrubber earlier on, but he's proving to be better than that.
Saw him as being somewhat selfish also, but now that perceived selfishness is paying off.

Never know how long a good run can go on for, but hard to complain for his current output.

Gibbons has now kicked goals in 8 of his last 10 games, averaging 1.2 per game.

I called him a scrubber earlier on, but he's proving to be better than that.
Saw him as being somewhat selfish also, but now that perceived selfishness is paying off.

Never know how long a good run can go on for, but hard to complain for his current output.
In fairness to your good self, he could have gone either way. You never quite know for sure with these "too good for VFL" types whether they will truly translate their wares well enough at AFL level. You can hope, of course, and some traits you figure will probably translate better than others but it's not an exact science. A good head on the player's shoulders and will to succeed goes a long way too.

I'm really happy with (and for) Gibbo though. Got his chance, and has been taking it by the horns.

In fairness to your good self, he could have gone either way. You never quite know for sure with these "too good for VFL" types whether they will truly translate their wares well enough at AFL level. You can hope, of course, and some traits you figure will probably translate better than others but it's not an exact science. A good head on the player's shoulders and will to succeed goes a long way too.

I'm really happy with (and for) Gibbo though. Got his chance, and has been taking it by the horns.

I'm happy for him also. Don't care where they come from, if they want to fully commit to the CFC.
He did and I'd be just as happy should Deluca make it also.

Can't even qualify it, but I feel Deluca will ultimately be the better of the two.
Trick for these guys is to be played where they've spent their junior years playing, or to really make good of an unexpected opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back