B Rookie 40. Ted Clohesy (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong has preselected Ted Clohesy as a NGA selection.

Ted was not selected by another club in the NAB AFL draft and thus is cleared to be a Geelong Rookie NGA selection for 2022.

He will be added to the Cat B Rookie list as I understand it - happy to be corrected.

GO Catters

Ted was not selected by another club in the NAB AFL draft and thus is cleared to be a Geelong Rookie NGA selection for 2022.

He will be added to the Cat B Rookie list as I understand it - happy to be corrected.

GO Catters

Yep spot on - manager and the club confirmed he'd be Cat B prior to the draft :)

Did he come to the game late or were we really able to put him as a Next Gen Academy player just because his Mum was born in South Africa?

Because if that's the case it's a bit of a stretch to how clubs can add kids to their NGA.

Did he come to the game late or were we really able to put him as a Next Gen Academy player just because his Mum was born in South Africa?

Because if that's the case it's a bit of a stretch to how clubs can add kids to their NGA.
The latter.

I'm still astounded nobody picked him up in the ND.

GO Catters

Liked his game v WA. He’s a very long shot to make it, but seems to have the right attitude and do all the hard stuff.

Its going to be a heck of fight to see who gets mid time in the VFL
I agree. I am actually excited about watching VFL in 2023 after a tough 2022. Assuming the recruits over past couple of years (including the new trades) are healthy we will have a much better crop of youngsters to follow each week.

Still lots of slight bodies against bigger teams but hopefully show us some flashes.

Its going to be a heck of fight to see who gets mid time in the VFL

Well last year our vfl side didnt have enough midfield depth so im glad we have improved it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It gets better - his Dad played for Port Melbourne.

Oh man I hope he becomes a serious player for us. Just for the opposition melts

Given the rule changes robbed us of jamarra the oppo melts can go bugger off as far as im concerned

How does this guy go undrafted?

Theres probably question marks on his speed (although for an inside mid that doesnt worry me some of the best inside mids arent quick) and he could tidy up by foot a bit but he has a lot of attributes i love. Strong in the contest, rarely goes to ground, good vision to release by hand, defensive intent is great and his tackles stick. Seems like the sort of kid who will work his backside off to try and make it. Im surprised he didnt go in the ND too given the lack of depth in this draft.

Theres probably question marks on his speed (although for an inside mid that doesnt worry me some of the best inside mids arent quick) and he could tidy up by foot a bit but he has a lot of attributes i love. Strong in the contest, rarely goes to ground, good vision to release by hand, defensive intent is great and his tackles stick. Seems like the sort of kid who will work his backside off to try and make it. Im surprised he didnt go in the ND too given the lack of depth in this draft.
I'm going to reach for the alfoil here and say a lot of oppo sides were turned off bidding because they didn't want media highlighting that a white kid with a dad who played for Port Melbourne got onto an nga list as a a part of an immigrant community.

If he was a clear talent they'd have likely matched but given where he is they might have thought it not worth the hassle of potentially adding more scrutiny to their draft pork barrels

I'm going to reach for the alfoil here and say a lot of oppo sides were turned off bidding because they didn't want media highlighting that a white kid with a dad who played for Port Melbourne got onto an nga list as a a part of an immigrant community.

If he was a clear talent they'd have likely matched but given where he is they might have thought it not worth the hassle of potentially adding more scrutiny to their draft pork barrels

I think unless sydney like the players... (or should i say Bidney ). most fringe guys slip. Then there is the fact , as alluded to , that they might be a geographical maelstrom that revolves around the players in the local area. Take them .... if. you... dare.

So fringe? Why bother.

but basically I agree... the nga system is conmfounding. Ut should be about thsoe who are new to the game, who would not have taken part in bar the introduction. If the fathers played... seems to fall over the cliff

And some wonder why certain clubs stay s**t/mid table forever. Farcical they leave this sort of kid there for us to get in this way.
I watched a bit of Clohesy this year. He certainly should have been drafted in the ND.

My only concern is he's a little stationary at stoppages and hence gets pushed of the ball at the clearance a little easily.

He uses the ball ok and he's a ferocious competitor who knows how to find it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back