Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Only problem is this was his knock pre-draft from memory. Just didn't put in the effort to match his talent. Really hoping he comes good because that patch of games he played last year was really impressive.
Yeah I remember reading similar re attitude and having a few question marks

But talent wise right up in the top tier of the draft and those glimpses he has shown he has that ability to potentially be a really special player

Might not be this year or even the next one but I think he will be walk in best 22 soon enough

One of Dimma's issues imo was he'd talk about playing guys to their strengths but in reality that was only if you were a star. He had very defined moulds you had to fit into as a role player and if you didn't fit them precisely you were condemned to the VFL. Forced kids with natural flair to abandon it in favour of becoming a robot with 1 setting.
Team first strategies...is the bane of gifted players...some make it some don't!

Team first strategies...is the bane of gifted players...some make it some don't!
The funny part is though, in 2017 we changed to fit in to those strengths.

Butler and George didn't knock down the door or change over night, we created a game plan than allowed gthem to be themselves...

It's kinda what changed with Dimma and our list late, we had had enough player turnover, that we needed to tweak our gameplan to accomodate the new players strengths, but instead we triued to stick to a gameplan that was extremely successful, but it was successful for what it allowed the players to do...

And there is no right or wrong position on when that transition occurs, and I thought he made some change in late 2022 to allow Cumbo to play his way, Sonsie was in the team, Gibcus was something different, but it seemed as though 2023 we went back to tried and trusted, but that no longer fit the playing group

It was a genuinely scary place for outsiders the Chelsea Pub. I remember the horrific incident in the 80's where a patron was murdered with apparently over 100 people present and every single one of them told Police they didn't see anything. It was cleaned up after that and now I think it is more or less like any other pub.

It is hard to imagine these days this violent rivalry between gangs of grown men from neighbouring towns. But you only have to read Jack Dyer's book to know it was a very real part of the landscape during those decades.

Mordi lads eh. I will be sure I don't get that wrong when I am passing through Mordialloc. :)
How good is Jack dyers book ?

The funny part is though, in 2017 we changed to fit in to those strengths.

Butler and George didn't knock down the door or change over night, we created a game plan than allowed gthem to be themselves...

It's kinda what changed with Dimma and our list late, we had had enough player turnover, that we needed to tweak our gameplan to accomodate the new players strengths, but instead we triued to stick to a gameplan that was extremely successful, but it was successful for what it allowed the players to do...

And there is no right or wrong position on when that transition occurs, and I thought he made some change in late 2022 to allow Cumbo to play his way, Sonsie was in the team, Gibcus was something different, but it seemed as though 2023 we went back to tried and trusted, but that no longer fit the playing group
I distinctly remember Cumberland playing at the end of 2022, he put together 8 games straight with 14 goals from the first 7 of those games, I was thinking we have a player here. Those games came where Dusty was out injured.

The thing that stood out for me was Cumbo's comments when Dusty came back into the side for the elimination final, he said 'I'll just stay out of Dusty's way'

Yeah I remember reading similar re attitude and having a few question marks

But talent wise right up in the top tier of the draft and those glimpses he has shown he has that ability to potentially be a really special player

Might not be this year or even the next one but I think he will be walk in best 22 soon enough
With you Muddie, they will keep working on his tude, becuase when it is good enough with that skill set, you have a special player.

How good is Jack dyers book ?

His book is a must read for any footy supporter or Melbournian really. But for for a Richmond supporter it is absolutely essential reading. Years since I read it but the book just brings the Richmond and Melbourne from the world wars and depression area to life. And any story told by Jack Dyer is a good one, even the true stories. :)

His book is a must read for any footy supporter or Melbournian really. But for for a Richmond supporter it is absolutely essential reading. Years since I read it but the book just brings the Richmond and Melbourne from the world wars and depression area to life. And any story told by Jack Dyer is a good one, even the true stories. :)
IMG_0665.jpeg
this one ?

I’ve seen the games Sonsie has played and he was clearly at the level year 1 and below the level year 2.

This was likely a combination of getting ahead of himself, injury during preseason, 2nd year blues and the team not playing so well.

Anyone writing him off after a poor 2023 as a 19 /20 year old is simply unrealistic and unreasonable.

He can play. Does he want to put in the hard work to make it is the question.

Give him a good preseason, supportive coach, let him learn the game and most importantly mature as a person and I reckon we’ve got a good one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to grow up and realise he is playing senior footy.

Go harder at the ball and opposition and not try and pull of kicks that are low percentage. Have watched a number of VFL replays in the last couple of weeks and have lost track of number of times he kicked the ball out on the full. His disposal is seriously overrated.

I especially loved the stories of when he was a copper ,
And involved in so many funny situations
I agree everyone who is a footy fan and interested in a great time in our capital city,should definitely read it

Go harder at the ball and opposition and not try and pull of kicks that are low percentage. Have watched a number of VFL replays in the last couple of weeks and have lost track of number of times he kicked the ball out on the full. His disposal is seriously overrated.
That is pretty much confidence, which hit rock bottom this year. There was a year where Shane Edwards was about the worst kick in the league, at his peak he was one of our best. The big knock on Ross was he was a lousy kick, now that he feels he belongs, he's a good solid and often creative kick.

Sonsie has shown at times he can be a beautiful kick, but his kicking this year as you say was woeful at times. No coincidence it was whilst running around the VFL playing pretty average football. If he comes good, so will his kickiing I'd bet.

We have to remember even elite players like Shai Bolton took time to cement themselves as first 22 let alone become one of our better players.

he is a dud m8

wont make it

theres a reason he went second round!!! not good enough to go earlier !!

he is a dud m8

wont make it

theres a reason he went second round!!! not good enough to go earlier !!

A guy who got picked at 58 recently won a dual brownlow (regardless iof whether you believe he deserved it)

Bolton was also a second rounder.

Where you’re selected means very little

A guy who got picked at 58 recently won a dual brownlow (regardless iof whether you believe he deserved it)

Bolton was also a second rounder.

Where you’re selected means very little
brownlow means very little these days

Sonsie has shown at times he can be a beautiful kick, but his kicking this year as you say was woeful at times. No coincidence it was whilst running around the VFL playing pretty average football. If he comes good, so will his kickiing I'd bet.
He's a bit like the Indonesian government with drug traffickers - some of their decision-making can be a bit rash, but you can't question their execution skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back