Delisted 40. Will Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Will, hope you have a long career.

But with concerns around our spine and some reasonable talls still out there, this does not make sense to me in the short-medium term

I guess it depends on what our plans are for McDonald and McGovern after this season. If we are keeping them, our stocks are decent enough, albeit injury prone.

Marchbank is almost available too so those 6 weeks without Weiters should see us reasonably covered.

He could get a run on the wing. Really lacking offensive options there.

Personally I think we didn't have a use for the pick and decided to use the selection as a future motivator.

Put in the work in our VFL side and if the opportunity is there you'll be rewarded.

My hopeful result is that it makes future signings for that team more enticing which is always a very good thing.

That's what I said when we signed O'Shea...

Has been terrific in the VFL, by far our best player to the degree we’ve looked second rate without him.

But… do we need another mid?

It does send a great message to the Carlton boys playing VFL that if you put in you’ll be rewarded and Hayes has put in. Also, he knows the game plan.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Been our best mid in a very much improved 2’s team this year.

Yes we have a few mids on our list but how many will be genuine locks on our 1’s in the coming years?

Dow - jury out
E Curnow - last year and injured
Philp - jury out, was hoping for more by now, fingers crossed
Setters - gone year end
Cuners - injury prone and will that ACL limit his potential?
Newnes and Cotts - just honest wingers for now, latter has a little more upside
LOB - don’t know what to think

There is quantity but is there sustainable quality in the list above?

I can see why Hayes chosen, definitely

I remember watching some Dogs game where he played and to be honest looked pretty average...wasn't surprised he got delisted.

But he's older now and in our system so has probably improved.

Agree he's the perfect low investment, role player type though. Seems versatile in the roles he can play, is a hard worker, hard runner and does the defensive stuff. That's all your role players need to do, like McIntosh and Castagna during Richmond's premierships.
Was he used as a mid at Dogs? Maybe played out of position? Just curious. Their midfield had enormous depth in his time there cracking their midfield would have been pretty tough.

Not sure about this pick but there's no doubt this is a great story having been pushed out of the AFL system already. Not many get a second opportunity.

I've been pretty vocal all week about not taking players from our reserves unless they're a standout. Whether Will has or hasn't been that is irrelevant now and I'll support him 100%.

What I will say however is this. Mirkov last year, Hayes this year - it's clear we're using the reserves side as an opportunity to launch - or relaunch - into an AFL career. Makes for great motivation and an attractive proposition - perform and the opportunity is there.

Best of luck to Will.

It may be over-simplifying things, but had Hayes been AFL-listed at the time, I think any and all of his VFL performances this season would've seen him promoted to the ones the following week - even with our stacked midfield.

How he handles the step up is the obvious question mark, but on the basis of what we've seen this year, this bloke is a (much?) better footballer at VFL level than a handful of others that have played senior footy for us this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps a valid reason, but when you have a shortfall in other areas, it does concern me
Not sure if the list management team agree with you Arrow. In his post match presser Vossy was asked "well, you'll definitely be going for a KPP in the mid-season draft now, won't you?". And his answer was something like "well, we'll take a look at that, but we won't be jeopardising our list strategy just to deal with our current situation" (paraphrasing).

So, given that they already got one KPP and the response from MV, I'm not surprised that they didn't reach for another.

I think the way we struggle dealing with good transition teams, the club might be more interested in fixing up a bit of a pace gap that we seem to have. Sure, there are plenty of endurance athletes on the list, but very few are express pace. From what I can remember in the reserves games I've seen, Will seems pretty quick.

It may be over-simplifying things, but had Hayes been AFL-listed at the time, I think any and all of his VFL performances this season would've seen him promoted to the ones the following week - even with our stacked midfield.

How he handles the step up is the obvious question mark, but on the basis of what we've seen this year, this bloke is a (much?) better footballer at VFL level than a handful of others that have played senior footy for us this season.
He looks every bit an AFL-quality player to me, but what the hell do i know!
I could be way off here, but I just can't help feeling he's going to slot perfectly in our midfield.

Not sure if the list management team agree with you Arrow. In his post match presser Vossy was asked "well, you'll definitely be going for a KPP in the mid-season draft now, won't you?". And his answer was something like "well, we'll take a look at that, but we won't be jeopardising our list strategy just to deal with our current situation" (paraphrasing).

So, given that they already got one KPP and the response from MV, I'm not surprised that they didn't reach for another.

I think the way we struggle dealing with good transition teams, the club might be more interested in fixing up a bit of a pace gap that we seem to have. Sure, there are plenty of endurance athletes on the list, but very few are express pace. From what I can remember in the reserves games I've seen, Will seems pretty quick.

Clearly they don't agree with me, but that doesn't mean the decision to not take another tall, is the right decision, nor would I come to the conclusion it would jeopardise our list management strategy.

As I stated before the start of the season, the thinness in our spine would not be a factor in making finals, but it would hamper us being a real contender. As it stands right now, we have the same amount of talls on our list as last year, which compared to all other clubs, is still the thinnest in the league.

Could we do a Tigers of 2017, where they had to adapt to a smaller line up due to injury to talls, sure, anything is possible, yet they too realised it wasn't sustainable and targeted more talls, FA and draft

No issue with Hayes, who actually is an endurance athlete, that has pace and hardness, something we also lack, but at 27, I would view it as a short term decision, even though it addresses another weakness, like all clubs have areas to address

Last edited:
I thought we would have taken another tall but I'm loving what Austin and Co. have done so far and I'm hoping that this is another win. Either they didn't rate the other talls, or saw an area of need that Hayes could cover..possibly both.

Looks like he could get a pretty quick call up. It's not a position we're stacked with guns in, even if we have blokes who can come in and get the job done.

Looking forward to seeing how he goes with the pace and intensity in the big league

That’s Young, Boyd and now Hayes that Austin has brought over from the Dogs since joining. Hope that’s not an indication of not looking far and wide.
Inherited the SOS gene.

Greater Western Bulldogs...

To repeat myself from much earlier posts, for those unaware.

Will Hayes is the brother of Ben and J.D. Hayes, sons of David and Group 1 winners in their own right. Will actually is in charge of the day to day running of the Flemington stables, while his brothers concentrate on the Euroa headquarters. He pretty much just has to say the word to become a equal partner in a very lucrative operation.

The young man is very clearly determined to explore all options to forge a successful AFL career. Many would also be unaware that he also has a development coaching position within our VFL program. Not your average battler profile.

Would love the bloke to finish his career a premiership player with the mighty Blues.

Good pick. Remember Kane Lambert was playing like this in our Reserves, in front of our noses and we didn't pick him. Went on to play in triple premiership with Tigers. I was waiting for the name Carrigan to come up, but happy Will gets another chance. Have to give the racing away now.
Fair call. And lambert was even smaller at 178cm.

Certainly has stood out this year.

Free hit, will be intresting to watch his debut.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back